Bowlby_18
Wedding gift... can someone help me to translate it? 6 2018/6/30 20:50
Barga18
Aomori-Ken 0 2018/6/19 10:27
hanzo-tou
Certificates 0 2018/5/8 4:34
schistkicker

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

What is Bujinkan? Technically, Spiritually, Historically, Philosophically etc...
Occasional Visitor
From Yokohama, Japan
Group:
村民 :: Villager
Dear Bujinkan sensei and practicioners,

Please excuse my ignorance in asking these questions, but I am very curious. I am very interested in different martial arts both modern and classical, (although I'm more familiar with the classical bujutsu) and from different countries as well.

Please understand that I mean no offense with these questions. Thank you.

First of all, might I ask, what does Bujinkan mean?

I read many things on this website referring to Ninja and Ninjitsu. How is Bujinkan related if it is?

What is Bujinkan derived from? For example Yagyu Shinkage Ryu is derived from Kage Ryu and Tenshin Shoden Katori Shinto Ryu, then later made famous when the Yagyu family adopted it as their ryu.

I know that you probably get a lot of questions like these, but is there a book about Bujinkan that you would recommend?

Thank you very much for your help. I'd like to introduce myself a little.

I have been living in Japan for the past 9 years and have been practicing Yagyu Shinkage Ryu Heiho and Yagyu Shingan Ryu Taijutsu for over 6 years. I feel like I'm still just scratching the surface, but I would be happy to try and answer anyone's questions about them.

I'm from Ithaca, New York. I teach English in Yokohama. I have 2 kids. My daughter is 2 years old and my son is 6 months old. My wife is Japanese and doesn't understand why I like budo, but tolerates me. I practice because it's a great stress reliever. When I'm practicing, I focus, and I forget the outside world. It's also good exercise - which I really need. I learn about Japanese culture and etiquite, history, and many things. I also learn it for self-defense and defense of my family in case I'm in a situation where there is no place to run first. I hate fighting and always try to avoid dangerous situations or diffuse them if I find myself in one. There are too many reasons to list.

Thank you very much.
Sincerely,
Nigel

Posted on: 2004/11/7 0:48
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: What is Bujinkan? Technically, Spiritually, Historically, Philosophically etc...
Occasional Visitor
From Yokohama, Japan
Group:
Hello once again.

I have just found a website listed by another member that has answered quite a lot of my questions. Thank you.

The site is: http://www.sfbuyu.com/

Sincerely,
Nigel

Posted on: 2004/11/7 0:56

Re: What is Bujinkan? Technically, Spiritually, Historically, Philosophically etc...
Occasional Visitor
From Yokohama, Japan
Group:
Hello sensei and practicioners of Bujinkan,

I am sorry to bother you once again, but after looking at several websites mentioned on this site, I still have more questions.

I now understand that Bujinkan consists of 9 ryu. Do members train in all of these ryu simultaneously, or do people specialize? I also read that each year there is a theme.

How are the 9 ryu related? Are there similarities in technique, and philosophy? For example, Yagyu Shinkage Ryu and Yagyu Shingan Ryu are so closely related because the founder(s) of Yagyu Shingan Ryu, studied Yagyu Shinkage Ryu which heavily influenced the creation of Shingan Ryu, and later on, the ryu was given permission to use the Yagyu family's name. So that's how Shingan Ryu became Yagyu Shingan Ryu. Today, they are practiced together in our lineage, and it really would be hard to draw a line between the two ryu. The footwork is easily carried over, the bojutsu uses many of the same small techniques in the sword. The jujutsu, or as we call it, yawara is almost like the swordwork, as far as angles of attack and hand positions, but without the sword. They are really integrated. So, I was wondering if Bujinkan has this same kind of integration of techniques.

Thank you for your help.
Sincerely,
Nigel

Posted on: 2004/11/7 22:02

Deleted_
You live in Yokohama, right? If you are so much interested in our Budo, why don't you come over to one of our dojos and talk directly?

Posted on: 2004/11/8 0:31

Village Old Timer
From San Francisco, California, USA
Group:
Perhaps he thought it might seem impolite.

Now that you've invited him, however, I hope he'll visit!

Posted on: 2004/11/9 4:38

Occasional Visitor
From Yokohama, Japan
Group:
Dear Ohashi sensei,
Thank you for your invitation. I would very much like to come observe one of your practices. I will check your dojo's schedule online for next year, and perhaps in January after the holiday season has quieted down, I will be able to.

In the meantime, I would like to stay in touch.

Thank you.
Nigel

Posted on: 2004/11/9 21:51

[Advanced Search]

Today's Sponsor