Socialize

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Kyudo in this month Blackbelt mag
Active Kutakian
From Quebec,Canada
Group:
村民 :: Villager
There's a great article about Kyudo - Japanese Archery , in this month blackbelt mag, for those who are interested.

Posted on: 2004/11/11 2:27
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Kyudo in this month Blackbelt mag
Permanent Village Fixture
From Wales, United Kingdom
Group:
Thanks Flopik, that should be interesting. I'll pick up a copy from Borders as I drive past later this morning. Make that two - I'll get one for my Kyudo instructor too in case he hasn't seen it.

Posted on: 2004/11/11 17:48

"Ultimately, we must forget technique, but forgetting about technique is not the same as never having learned it."
Hideharu Onuma

Deleted_

Posted on: 2004/11/11 18:26

Group:
Interesting Kyudo Trivia #37

Did you know that Chris Slade, a former drummer with the band AC/DC is/was a Kyudo practitioner? I've got an article/interview from a martial arts magazine from the early 1990's with him in.

Posted on: 2004/11/11 19:06

"Ultimately, we must forget technique, but forgetting about technique is not the same as never having learned it."
Hideharu Onuma

Active Kutakian
From Quebec,Canada
Group:
Andy , how the ranking is working in kyudo ?
Do you have to do horsebackriding and stuffs like that ?

I found this link about japanese archery :
http://www.artsofthesamurai.com/Acker/acker1.pdf

Posted on: 2004/11/11 22:55

Deleted_

Posted on: 2004/11/11 23:11

Group:
Hi Flopik - simple answer is that I haven't asked my instructor about Kyudo ranking and he hasn't offered the information yet so until he does I just train. And no, he won't let me bring a horse into the Kyudo hall so Yabusame isn't an option although he does let me try using Bujinkan Taijutsu occasionally to practice the Kyudo movements - he's very interested in this comparison work when we do it. We're actually planning to film the class this weekend as a record of our current standard so that we can look back in years to come and laugh.

Incidentally, I've picked up Black Belt now - the article is very interesting (it's a reprint of an old Andy Adams article from 1967).

Danny, I didn't know you practiced Kyudo too. How long for? I'm just a new boy really - about six months or so.

Posted on: 2004/11/12 1:09

Hideharu Onuma

Deleted_

Posted on: 2004/11/12 8:35

Deleted_
Quote:

Flopik wrote:
Andy , how the ranking is working in kyudo ?
Do you have to do horsebackriding and stuffs like that ?

Hello All!

I have been practicing Kyudo for a few years now. I began my studies at a Kyudojo in Fujisawashi (Kanagawaken). I have also had some great instruction a the Koshigaya Kyudojo (Saitamaken). I continue to train through the South Carolina Kyudo Renmei. I am by no means an expert, but I do have some notions that you might find useful.

Kyudo rankings begin at 5th kyu and continue to 10th dan.

The testing for each rank involves both written and shooting exam.

One does not necessarily go through all (or any) of the kyu ranks, before testing for Shodan.

Tests are evaluated by a 'committee' of seniors (the specific required number and minimum rank of the seniors may vary according to the level tested).

Early ranks may have very specific and tangible requirements, but the upper ranks are often based on things like 'embodies the essence of kyudo'.

The above refers to the Zen Nippon Kyudo Renmei. There are also individual Ryu that may have their own traditional methods of conferring rank.

Horseback riding is not a part of Kyudo. Horseback Archery is called Yabusame and is taught as a separate art.

There are some very interesting books about Kyudo that might interest you. Here are the titles of three available in English-

Kyudo- the Essense and Practice of Japanese Archery by, Onuma Sensei

Kyudo- The Way of the Bow, by Felix H... (sorry I don't remeber his last name)

Kyudo no Kyohon, the ZNKR handbook, english edition

I hope you all find this useful.

Posted on: 2004/11/13 0:55

Kutaki Postmaster
From Honolulu
Group:

I have a friend that is a 5th dan in kyudo and now that he is 5th dan he has been invited to train in a traditional koryu, Heki Ryu I think. I don't know if it is the kyudo that has helped or not but he has incredible body movements. He has been doing kyudo for 14 years I think and when he started taijutsu/jujutsu he was definitely learning faster then the other newbies. His shuriken throwing is pretty impressive too, he was sitting on my couch and launching wooden chopsticks into a box of cereal in the next room.

Posted on: 2004/11/13 6:42

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Today's Sponsor