Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Kutaki Back After Downtime
村長 :: Sonchou
From Chiba, Japan
Group:
村長 :: Admin
村民 :: Villager
Hello,

When I checked the Kutaki server on Tuesday morning (Nov. 16th), I couldn't connect. Nor could I get any ping response or log into the server with remote admin software. I called the techie at the place I have the server hosted and asked him to reboot the machine, which he did, but then the screen would go blank right after hard disk detection. He wasn't sure what else to do.

I drove out and had a look, and guessed it was a motherboard issue. I took the machine to a computer shop and had them look at it; they came to the same conclusion. I brought the machine home and put the hard disk into another physical machine, amd it then started up normally, however the webserver software would not start for some unknown reason. I spent the next couple of days trying to solve that mystery, consulting books, online documentation, and gurus I know, noone could figure it out. I finally narrowed it down to the webserver configuration file, as the webserver would start with a brand new "vanilla" configuration. After I copied in all of my own customizations from the config file I had been using though, it would still start up - so I never did figure out exactly what was wrong with the config file itself.

The problem after that was that although the server was up and running domain name services, email, web, etc., the PHP module for the webserver wasn't being loaded. Kutaki runs on PHP, so although the webserver was running, the website wasn't displayed properly. I spent the next two days debugging that problem and finally got it all sorted out a couple of hours ago. The ordeal was quite exhausing and involved about 42 hours straight with no sleep at one point. I'm looking forward to getting a few winks now before training in the morning, let me tell you.

Thanks for your patience while the server was down. No data at all was lost as far as I can tell, so no posts or anything were lost, it was just a matter of downtime.

Anyway, now back up, so knock yourselves out with all of that good stuff that you've been looking for an outlet for over the past 4 days!

Shawn

Posted on: 2004/11/20 2:30
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Kutaki Back After Downtime - Again
村長 :: Sonchou
From Chiba, Japan
Group:
村長 :: Admin
村民 :: Villager
Kutaki is back up again after a Typhoon hit the hosting location over the weekend and knocked out the power. Their backup power supplies only last a few hours, and since noone was there on the weekend, those ran down as well. Needless to say, they have been given a lecture about the need to keep things running despite power outages.

Anyway, back online - again...

Shawn

Posted on: 2004/12/7 15:12
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

[Advanced Search]

Today's Sponsor