Socialize

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Where to purchase armor?
Occasional Visitor
From Dayton, Ohio
Group:
村民 :: Villager
Does anyone have any good recommendations on where to purchase training armor in the U.S.?

~Tony Maddin~

Posted on: 2004/12/13 8:22
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Where to purchase armor?
Active Kutakian
From Sweden
Group:
Well, I would recommend you to get a custom order from an armourer, but not many of the US armourers do good training armour, its mainly adapted for different kinds of reenactment combat... I would not advice you to get one of the armours sold by different companies (like tozando and such) since they are made for display purpose and wont fit you at all.. The armours worn by Shiraishi and Noguchi on the DKMS were display pieces that did not fit them very well.. It was kinda obvious if you have any armour experience.. But I am impressed by their performance in ill fitting armour, but they have been training for a while.. ehm.. =)

You could drop in on www.armourarchive.org and ask around there for someone willing to do a commission job for you.. But as mentioned the US armourers mainly focus on european armour for reenactment.. I would consider ordering from another country..

I could do a comission armour for you, but my schedule is kinda full at the moment since I have many orders from bujinkan members .. the advantage you would get if you would order from me is that I have been studying in the bujinkan for about 11 years and I have been doing armouring and armoured combat for the same amount of time so I have an advantage when building armours suited for our kind of training.. But my current delivery time for a full suit would probably be about one year at the moment.. =P

- Xtracted

http://www.rustning.se
http://www.bujinkan.cc

Posted on: 2004/12/13 19:25

Kutaki Postmaster
From Honolulu
Group:

I thought Tozando's armour to be pretty good. The honke line of Takenouchi Ryu and Tatsumi Ryu did their enbu for kumi uchi and kogusoku in Tozando provided armour. It held up pretty well under some brutal grappling.

Posted on: 2004/12/13 21:25

Active Kutakian
From Sweden
Group:
Comparing mass produced armour with custom made armour is just like comparing a mass produced alloy iaito with a handmade katana..

Dont do that mistake.. ever..

An armour is a personal item that should be made just for you, after your measurments, fitted to your body. If it doesnt fit you properly, it will be more of a disadvantage to you then an actual protection.
The mass produced armour sold by different companies will never fit you properly. You might think so but if so, its because you have too little knowledge of armour.

It is up to you in the end, you could get an armour from places like theswordsmith.com or one of those companies, there seem to be hundreds of them, just do a search on google or any search engine of your choice..
The second option is to commission one from an armourer and get a real armour made by an expert in the field, fitted for your shape and size..

You can usually get them for more or less the same prize since the companies that sell the mass produced ones always seem to try to rip people off.. =P

Posted on: 2004/12/14 0:09

Permanent Village Fixture
From Dallas, TX
Group:
Yeah, this thread really reminds me of one of my past lives. The armourer who lived in our village was quite skilled, and insisted on each and every piece of armour fitting precisely.
As I was waiting in line for one of Yugimura's masterpieces, me and some of the village guys were, you know, chillin', trading manga and playin' cards 'n stuff. This went on for about a year, Yugimura's backlist was long, you see, and each piece of armour had to fit precisely. But it was ok, because everyday I would go down and wait in line and read manga and play cards 'n stuff. Then the Western army rolled in, and decimated all of us. It was a pretty good life, as far as lives go...I just wish Yugimura would've mass produced armour, like all the other villages did...
Oh well, the 4 guys that got armour said it was *almost* comfortable.

:p

Posted on: 2004/12/14 12:59

Active Kutakian
From Sweden
Group:
"If I write this in this manner, will it produce a problem or not?"

This is not worth my time. Good luck with your search Tony.

Posted on: 2004/12/14 18:38

Occasional Visitor
From Dayton, Ohio
Group:
I really appreciate everybody's suggestions on who to contact and where to look in this big information world.

Sincerely,

~Tony Maddin~

Posted on: 2004/12/14 23:13

Kutaki Postmaster
From hamburg, germany
Group:
For instance here:

Tozandos Armor

If it really is good enough for the Takenouchi guys, it should really be ok.

Karsten

Posted on: 2004/12/15 1:20

bujinkan shinden dojo buchholz/hh

Active Kutakian
From Sweden
Group:
If you are going to spend 200000 Yen or more for a suit of armour, get something that you feel good with. Dont spend a fortune on tourist traps, consult someone who actually knows stuff about armours wich most people in the bujinkan, as a fact, doesn't. Just because a thing is ok you shouldnt stop looking for better. Thats like thinking "My taijutsu is good enough, I dont need to get better".

I still recommend that you consult the people on www.armourarchive.org.. there are many professional armourers there that make their living on building armours and have done so for many, many years.. They can help you much better then the people on this site.

6 things..

1. Dont ask a soccer player how to build a car..

2. Dont spend a fortune on a Honda Civic if you can get a Lamborghini for the same amount of money..

3. Dont ever think that mass produced items are better then real craftmanship.

4. Does a suit from a clothes store fit you better then a tailored suit?

5. Never settle for less.

6. People who use armour has no idea how to build it. Its a craft and a art by itself.
Thats it from me.

Posted on: 2004/12/15 1:37

Villager
From Stockholm
Group:
Quote:

Xtracted wrote:
3. Dont ever think that mass produced items are better then real craftmanship.

With one exception, IMHO.

www.benchmade.com

Posted on: 2004/12/15 4:52

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Today's Sponsor