Recent Topics

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Tragic Worlwide Event- Tsunami
Active Kutakian
From Brisbane, Australia
Group:
村民 :: Villager
It's good to know that people at Nike do have a conscience, as so many people seem to want to stick a knife in to them... rightly or wrongly, I don't know.

The last I heard they estimated a death toll of 25000 in Indonesia alone, and that it is the greatest natural disaster of the last century.

Posted on: 2004/12/31 11:09

Occasional Visitor
From Las Vegas, Nevada. USA
Group:
I just got notified that I will be going to Indonesia to help with the disaster relief. Could be leaving at any moment. I cannot even imagine what I should expect...all of this to me is still just so unbelievable.
We are still trying to figure out food and water for the people headed over to help, I cannot even comprehend what the people of those nations must be going through.

-J. McFadden

Posted on: 2004/12/31 21:42
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

村長 :: Sonchou
From Chiba, Japan
Group:
村長 :: Admin
The Tsunami Donations link in the left column of the screen is now working to show donations made by Kutaki Villagers, and will be active until December 31st, 2005. All donations made for 2005 will be donated to disaster relief.

Shawn

Posted on: 2005/1/16 10:41

Permanent Village Fixture
From Toronto/Waterloo, Canada Eh!
Group:
The unfortunate thing is that much of this tragedy could have been avoided. Most of these countries have no warning systems set up. And although they are generally 'poorer' countries they opted out of sensor matrix'ing the sea in order to forsee these disasters.

Posted on: 2005/1/16 11:24

From Chiba, Japan
Group:
I wonder why they opted out. Doesn't seem like a very sensible thing to do, unless it was going to cost them a lot of money and/or put them even further into debt to industrialized nations...

Posted on: 2005/1/16 11:53

Village Old Timer
From oz
Group:
i just hope the money is going where it should be, and not into the pockets of the unscrupulous.

if it is all managed honestly and correctly perhaps there may be enough left over for a sensor system.

i am avoiding those 'buckets' though as they are just too easy to fiddle. i feel safer donating at the supermarkets(added in with the bill) but who knows.

a few backpackers here in sydney have been caught at the bucket scams, but ofcourse there will be some genuine ones too.

no amount of money can replace a lost loved one though.

a very sad affair,

Posted on: 2005/1/16 16:38

Oldschoolcarpentry.com.au

Permanent Village Fixture
From Toronto/Waterloo, Canada Eh!
Group:
***WARNING: This posting contains Educational material and may be considered boring to some.***

Quote:

kouryuu wrote:
I wonder why they opted out. Doesn't seem like a very sensible thing to do, unless it was going to cost them a lot of money and/or put them even further into debt to industrialized nations...

It is a 'new-aged' technology and at this stage is rather pricy.... but what price do you put on a life.
It is interdisciplinary technology work going on between oceanographers and geologists/geological engineers(specialized in hydrology).

The Western border of North America has a matrix set up and they detected the Tsunami after it happened (ie the energy finally reached their detectors and their warning system went off. The technology is similar to the earthquake warning system that is set up (a lot of which is in california on the san andres fault) but there are detectors across the world. Every event that happens, such as the earth quakes in Japan a few months back, helps in the detection and warning system study. Hopefully one day we will have it specific enough to completely clear out an affected area prior to the event.

Unfortunately, humans seem to be very unrealistic on these issues... very unwilling to help themselves. Volcanologists have a hell of a time trying to clear out an area prior to an eruption... residents don't want to leave before hand (apparently they would rather be rescued). Its not precise enough to say the volcanoe will erupt on thurs at 12, they can ussually only give a 72 hour window. But for economic and other reasons residents are unwilling to clear out. This not only happens in poorer nations where you could understand someone not wanting to leave their meager possesions... the same thing happened in 1980 when St. Helens erupted in washington, USA.

It truely scares me to know that tragidies at this level could be avoided but that economics won over human life. Then again we all polute in some means or another and that (at this rate) will kill us. And don't get me started on what pharmaceutacals you can find in your ground water, lakes & rivers...

Posted on: 2005/1/17 3:34

From Chiba, Japan
Group:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/4189883.stm

Death toll now at 220,000.
Officials in Aceh removing 3,500 bodies per day.
More than 14% of the population of the capital of Aceh confirmed dead.
800,000 homeless in Aceh and North Sumatra alone.

Posted on: 2005/1/20 10:49

« 1 (2)

[Advanced Search]

Today's Sponsor