Register now!
Socialize

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 4 »

bokken making
Honorary Villager
Group:
村民 :: Villager
I am trying to make a bokken and would very much appreciate any tips or advice offerd about what tools to use, measurements and sizes, materials and basicly any thing you think might be helpful

Posted on: 2004/12/31 18:43
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: bokken making
Active Kutakian
From Sweden
Group:
Get a nice oak plank, cut it to the width, length and thickness you roughly want, steam it and bend the curve on it, do this slowly and in many steps not to break the structure of the wood. When its bent the shape you want it, get for example a nice belt sander and start working on the shape.

Depending on how "nice" you want it to be, go to a woodworking class and learn some of the craft.. or just cut the hell out of it until you are satisfied..

Posted on: 2004/12/31 20:46

Kutaki Postmaster
From Wakefield, England
Group:
Quote:

avraham wrote:
I am trying to make a bokken and would very much appreciate any tips or advice offered about what tools to use, measurements and sizes, materials and basicly any thing you think might be helpful

Would it not be cheaper just to buy a few?

Posted on: 2005/1/1 6:18

"Sensei, all your children have guns. What shall we do?"
"Let them kill each other, that way they will learn"

Deleted_
Hmmmm where to start. Loquat trees make good bokken. If your lucky enough to have someone in your area with one.The Branches can even have a nice curve already but like all wood it needs to be seasoned for quite some time if fresh cut.As for tools well if you have to ask I would do as Extracted suggested and go take some wood working lessons, as there are so many ways and tools out there you could spend more on tools than the cost of buying a good Bokken, and still not make a good one for yourself.Basic hand tools you would need, Saw,plane or spoke shave or draw knife,wood rasp of suitable type, sanding block , several grades of sand paper from course to as fine as you want to go. Oh and you will need a vise of some kind woodworking or otherwise .Thin flexi type cutting boards are good to make Tsuba from.

Posted on: 2005/1/1 9:57

Honorary Villager
Group:
well, first of all, thanks for all the advice in the end I've bought a maple wood off a local carpenter, do any of you has anything to say about my choice (other than "good luck with that" that is)? I would really appreciate it if someone could give me the length and weidth measurments

Posted on: 2005/1/2 3:26

Deleted_
My Bokken is a good white oak one from Japan. It is 40 inches or 1020mm long in total. The blade is 29 inches or 750mm long.
Thickness of blade at the back of blade is 1 inch at the Tsuba and 3/4 of an inch at the tip. The width of the bokken is 1.5 inches or 38mm over total length of Bokken inc Handle.Handle is straight blade has a slight curve over total length.

Posted on: 2005/1/2 20:26

Kutaki Postmaster
Group:
want a bokken that will never break? make it out of Ipe, its a south american hard wood, one of the "iron woods". a bit hard to work, and a little on the heavy side, but you'll have it for life!
Alan McPherson

Posted on: 2005/1/25 23:22

Honorary Villager
Group:
hello alan-san, thaks for the advice but I allredy bought a maple wood and I have trouble with it (I dont have equipment of a good enough quality) so I am afraid to even try an iron wood, besides, as a beginner I dont think I realy need an indistuctable boken
but still, I appriciate your advice and remember it for when my boken will break
thank you, avraham.

Posted on: 2005/1/26 1:29

Occasional Visitor
From Ontario, Canada
Group:
ive made a few bokkens myself so i can help you out a bit. first of all steam bending is a BAD idea, as it takes forever and where the hell are you going to find a steamer. what i do is trace a bokken i didnt make onto the board (oak is the best its easy to find and not much money, plus its durable) then i cut it out with a jigsaw, and simply rout the edges with a roundover bit, then sand it to perfection, simple as that. if you dont have these tools, only buy them if you want to make a lot of bokkens otherwise it'd be cheaper to just buy one. happy crafting.

Posted on: 2005/1/29 8:06

Village Old Timer
Group:
議長 :: Mod
Ipe is a Brazilian Walnut that is heavier than standard oaks and has beautiful color in the grains. It is not, however, indestructable. If you can get your hands on Macaranduba, a south american Mahoganay, you will have strong wrists because it is very heavy (about 4 1/2 lbs. per square foot) and it will probably never break. How do I know all this useless wood trivia? I used to work for a hardwood flooring company.

Posted on: 2005/1/29 11:16

(1) 2 3 4 »

[Advanced Search]

Today's Sponsor