« 1 (2)

Re: New Years Renku
Occasional Visitor
From Central Canada
Group:
村民 :: Villager
Quote:

YuTaiSheng wrote:
On that note, let's end this sequence. There were a few laspes in communication that messed up the flow of the sequence. I'll take this one as a lesson on the role of timely communication in renku. Plus maybe I should explain the rules of renku so we can have a sequence that rotates. But that would mean no more Chinese verses, strictly Japanese verse on my part.

YuTaiSheng,

If you're still around the Kutaki no Mura forums, I would love to hear more about Japanese Renku. This is the first I've heard of it. If you could elaborate, that would be great.

Thank you.

Posted on: 2005/2/22 10:27
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: New Years Renku
Villager
From Los Angeles
Group:
村民 :: Villager
Quote:

ScareRaven wrote:

YuTaiSheng,

If you're still around the Kutaki no Mura forums, I would love to hear more about Japanese Renku. This is the first I've heard of it. If you could elaborate, that would be great.

Thank you.

Where to begin??? Well, renga is linked verse. It began as a diversionary form of composing waka poetry. Waka has 31 syllables divided into 5 lines (5-7-5-7-7); one person would compose the upper half (5-7-5) and the other would compose the lower half (7-7). Over the years it got more serious and more respect and moved from having 2 people involved into having up to 9 or 10 people involved over a specific number of syllabes (50, 100, 200, etc). What we were doing was a variation of standard renga called wakan renku, or linked verses of Chinese and Japanese poetry. Same idea as renga except that the 7-7 lines were written as a couplet of Chinese poetry, with two lines of 7 character verse replacing the two lines of 7 syllables of Japanese. If you want more info, locate Earl Miner's Japanese Linked Verse. H. Mack Horton (my professor from my Berkeley days) has put out a two-book set entitled The Journal of Socho and Song in an Age of Discord. The latter is a study of the former. And Steven Carter's Traditional Japanese Poetry is the best collection of pre-modern Japanese poetry around. Does this help?

Posted on: 2005/3/1 10:27

-Mencius
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

« 1 (2)

[Advanced Search]

Today's Sponsor