Wedding gift... can someone help me to translate it? 6 2018/6/30 20:50
Barga18
Aomori-Ken 0 2018/6/19 10:27
hanzo-tou
Certificates 0 2018/5/8 4:34
schistkicker

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 3 (4)

Re: Is it possible to reach the 1st dan in one year?
Deleted_
The answer is yes. But you may have to ask yourself this question every year until you do.lol

Posted on: 2005/2/25 4:07
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Permanent Village Fixture
Group:
Gaijin (Inactive)
I respect that this is a good thread to voice our philisophical opinions on ranking. For me, the issue of "black belt in a year?" could be easily answered if I had a student actually ask me this question.

"Sure you can, go for it"

The reality is that the world is littered with thousands upon thousands of brown belts (those who almost reached black belt) and even more black belts who faded away and quit their training after getting it.

In Buddhism there is this prinicple of "Sansho Shima", or the three obstacles and four devils, which illustrates the resistance that comes from within our lives when we try and reach an important spiritual milestone or embark upon the path of our own self-discovery.

If these obstacles were always clearly attributed to training it would be easy, but more often there are obstacles related to money, relationships, jobs, and all the things in our lives that seem to work to prevent us from reaching our goals.

On the other hand, the danger of reaching Shodan to quickly and easily is that there is a risk of under-valuing your accomplishment. I have seen this happen with one younger and talented Shodan who got it there in around 1.5 years....

Posted on: 2005/2/25 4:19

From Dallas, TX
Group:
村民 :: Villager
Shodan, or black belt or whatever, only has as much value as you put on it, plain and simple. You got Colonel Bob here, proficient in numerous systems, probably having trained since the 60's, back when a black sash meant you could walk on water. Fine, black belt has that value to him. Then you have your clubs where you will arrive at shodan, no matter what, if you keep training. Sure, in some way we laud these guys who have a five year minimum to shodan, but contrariwise there are just as many of these types that have no skill, but they keep on paying dues so they keep on moving. Rank = Time, but Skill does not equal rank in these clubs. There are guys within these clubs who have trained diligently for over two years to reach 6th kyu. So now do we grant some water-walking value to the 6th kyu?
The value of rank is equal to the appreciation of that rank by the practitioner that holds it.
Sho-dan
1st level
You think being a shodan in Japan means anything? C'mon, now...cultural phenomena abound!
Try putting Black Belt on a resume, won't take you far. But this is meaningless, I'm off to train...

Posted on: 2005/2/25 4:55

Cant Stay Offline
From Pennsylvania, USA
Group:
議長 :: Mod
師導士会 :: Shidoshikai
When I asked Sensei his requirements for sho-dan he told me this: They must know ukemi well, sanshin well, kihon happo well, and HAVE A GOOD HEART. That last was strongly emphasized. Time in and of itself I think is a very poor measure of a person's skill. The speed one learns, and I don't care what it is, depends on two factors: The quality of the instruction and the Effort of the student. Can a person get to sho-dan legitimately in a year? Well, yes. Is it likely? Well, no. On top of that what I tell each new sho-dan is that this black belt does not mean they have "arrived"! What it means is now we consider them a serious student! Now you know enough to really work on learning this art. You never will get it all, but you will keep getting more --- as long as you keep going.

Posted on: 2005/2/26 4:53

From Dallas, TX
Group:
Quote:

Papa-san wrote:
When I asked Sensei his requirements for sho-dan he told me this: They must know ukemi well, sanshin well, kihon happo well, and HAVE A GOOD HEART. That last was strongly emphasized. Time in and of itself I think is a very poor measure of a person's skill. The speed one learns, and I don't care what it is, depends on two factors: The quality of the instruction and the Effort of the student. Can a person get to sho-dan legitimately in a year? Well, yes. Is it likely? Well, no. On top of that what I tell each new sho-dan is that this black belt does not mean they have "arrived"! What it means is now we consider them a serious student! Now you know enough to really work on learning this art. You never will get it all, but you will keep getting more --- as long as you keep going.

That's what I'm sayin', 'yo.

Posted on: 2005/2/26 7:13

Active Kutakian
From El Segundo, CA, USA, Earth.
Group:
I like what Ed said.
Sho-Dan.
Sho is beginning.
Start.

Just Hatched.

Just like with the new year.
"Start Month."

Its a hopeful/nostalgic thing. :)

"I am ShoDan.....according to my revered teacher, I stink less now. Enough so they are not embarrased to claim me."
Well, maybe thats pushing it a little. ;)

Sometimes, I am embarrased to claim myself. :D

Posted on: 2005/2/26 8:15

« 1 2 3 (4)

[Advanced Search]

Today's Sponsor