BladesPro 14 2017/12/9 17:45
fskopfpatro

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Dojo in Queens, New York
Occasional Visitor
Group:
村民 :: Villager
I know of the Muzosa dojo, but it takes fairly long to travel there. I am eager to join a dojo, however I wish there was one I can travel to from bayside.

Posted on: 2005/1/11 15:40
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Dojo in Queens, New York
Active Kutakian
From El Segundo, CA, USA, Earth.
Group:
You really should find the dojo that has the best teacher and not worry about travel time. I know some people who used to travel more than 100 miles round trip to study once a week. But then again. They were pretty crazy.

Posted on: 2005/1/11 18:05

Deleted_
LOL well here is another crazy person. I travel 100 mile round trip twice a week for 6 years to date . But there are people who travel futher than I.
The point is if you want to train you are better off training with the best around even if you have to travel a little futher.Your other thread topic makes me think you want learn so quickly therefore you should train at the best dojo you can and the travel time should not be an issue.

Posted on: 2005/1/11 18:42

Occasional Visitor
Group:
Hi,
There are several dojo in Manhattan.
They are all fairly easy to reach from Queens.
I know Bayside is a little out of the way, but it still should not be too much of a problem since the NYC public transportation system is very good.

Happy training,

Alon Adika

Posted on: 2005/1/11 21:29

Occasional Visitor
Group:
Well I simply do not have time to make such trips. I attend school and it is pretty hard to go far without finishing my homework and everything. I really wish to learn ninjitsu though. My parents simply won't allow me to go to ones in manhattan for some reason.

Posted on: 2005/1/12 8:08

Active Kutakian
From El Segundo, CA, USA, Earth.
Group:
Well, if you are a minor, and subject to their rules then you should go take Judo or TaiCHi if it is available, and then when you get more freedom, do what you want. :)

Posted on: 2005/1/12 13:36

Kutaki Postmaster
From New York, NY
Group:
Hi, Rich. This is Jeff from Muzosa.

You're right -- there's no convenient way to get from Bayside to Ridgewood. But I have to agree with the sentiments that others have expressed about traveling. My friend Rob, who also teaches here, traveled for 3 hours each week for a 2 hour class. He did that for 15 years.

This point is closely related to the essence of Ninpo, or enduring what must be endured. I believe that part of Budo is training yourself to do what must be done -- convenience or desire are irrelevant.

Don't fight because it's convenient or because you want to, but because it is You who must fight. Similarly, don't train from convenience or desire, but because it is You who must train -- no one else can do it.

Even if you can only train once a week, or once a month, that's better than not training at all. The question then becomes how to make the time, rearrange your life that one day a week or one day a month, in order to train. But you're not alone in this, Rich -- all of us should train more and train harder!

Definitely feel free to contact me if this idea appeals to you. Good luck with your search!

Posted on: 2005/1/14 12:43

Cant Stay Offline
From Pennsylvania, USA
Group:
議長 :: Mod
師導士会 :: Shidoshikai
Hi Rich,
You've been given good advice about seeking the quality of training as opposed to the "convenience". I've known Jeff for some time and you will get quality instruction from him. If your schedule (and life situation) is such that you don't have the freedom to make any choice you want, think about doing it once a week over a weekend or attending seminars in the area. There just was one with Arnaud and in April will be another with Peter King. I have people who travel nine hours from North Carolina to train with me, and they do that whenever they can. When I was starting my training we had to bring instructors in from Florida and Georgia, or travel to Japan to train. You, my young gent, are VERY fortunate to have someone skilled so close to you. Remember you are the one that gets the result of your choices. Hope you make some good ones.
Ed Martin aka Papa-san

Posted on: 2005/2/23 23:58

Permanent Village Fixture
From Leesburg, Florida, USA
Group:
Quote:

muzosa wrote:
This point is closely related to the essence of Ninpo, or enduring what must be endured. I believe that part of Budo is training yourself to do what must be done -- convenience or desire are irrelevant.

Those words are so true! It boils down to how sincere you are. I think even this is part of the budo training. Think of it as another form of taijutsu. You seem to realize where there is resistance and obstacles, that is the first step, now, go around them...

Posted on: 2005/2/24 0:11
Florida Bujinkan Network

Frequent Visitor
From Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Group:
I am not very familiar with your area in New York. However Bayside, Queens, is not too far from Bronxville, according to Mapquest. A friend of mine has been training with Joe Maurantonio, Bujinkan New York Dojo (BNYD), for some time. You can visit Joe's website http://kihon.com/dojo/
Or email Don on his website http://dojo.oninohana.com/index2.php

Good luck.

Posted on: 2005/2/24 2:09

Bujinkan Kokun Dojo
-------------------------------------------------
Westwood, Boston, Massachusetts, USA

)'(
Feel the Burn.......

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Today's Sponsor