« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Re: Bo staff
Cant Stay Offline
From Pennsylvania, USA
Group:
村民 :: Villager
議長 :: Mod
師導士会 :: Shidoshikai
Duncan, I do agree that it is not the length that is important but "how you use it" that is. I do think that this really applies to EVERYTHING that we may pick up and use as a 'weapon'. I also think that it is a mistake to always train with "perfect" weapons, ie a perfectly straight bo, maybe we should spend more time working with objects that would more likely resemble what we would find in the environment. (be it urban, rural, or whatever). The likelihood of us carrying a weapon is probably rather low unless it is something like my cane which is not looked on as a weapon. Again in my opinion, what is important is to recognize the basic properties of any object and then use those properties for effective defense.
Ed Martin aka Papa-san

Posted on: 2005/2/26 4:08
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Deleted_
Quote:

MWDAndy wrote:
Maybe I should have said that I think that *I* do the movements incorrectly in the context of my earlier post?

C'mon Andy … that's not what I said or implied.

You said that you didn't believe the leg could be struck effectively without using a longer bo, being too close to strike, with a poor grip or unbalanced kamae and I thought it would be useful to reply with the fact that it IS possible based on training we did with soke on this question - just that it may involve modifying conventional views on "balanced kamae" and what is a good grip.

(If you have the old bojutsu book I think you'll find many clues in there)

I know that you have been training a long time and assume that you know a bit about bojutsu - so if you don't know then maybe most of the others reading this don't either? I don't believe it's as easy as "who does things correctly and who doesn't". You know a lot but you probably don't know this, I know a bit about bo but I'm just scratching the surface too - isn't that why our lifelong study is so much fun?

If it's any help - before Seno-sensei's class at the hombu not so long ago I was giving the bo a bit of a spin to warm up. He then came up and started picking on various seemingly pedantic points (mostly related to balance distribution and the rear shoulder) - it was good but stuffed me up to the point where I felt I couldn't do it at all now and was back to square one.

On the subject of weapon length, I remember that soke once said that it was important to always disguise the length of a weapon so as the opponent can't find his distance.

Posted on: 2005/2/26 10:16

Permanent Village Fixture
From Wales, United Kingdom
Group:
Hi Duncan

Reading your post gives me the feeling that you may have misinterpreted what I said and/or how I said it. If I've caused any offence or confusion, please accept my genuine apology. I have nothing but a deep respect for you as a person, for your knowledge of the Bujinkan and for your standard of taijutsu. By listing how long I have been training etc, I certainly wasn't attempting to imply that I am just as good as yourself or that my ideas are just as valid. Again, sincere apologies if that is how my words came across.

When I said that I think that I may be doing some of the movements with the bo incorrectly, I meant it. However to clarify further (or perhaps to dig a deeper hole for myself), I also tried to make the point that, based upon the training I have had to date and based upon what I can actually do with some reasonable chance of success, I feel that to attack to ashi (at least, in certain of the kata), puts me in a bad position if I am to maintain what I currently believe to be a good kamae that I can deliver a powerful strike from. Now you may have seen ways of moving that I simply haven't as yet that may indeed allow me to deliver such strikes correctly but as I can't do those techniques just yet, I have to work with what I am capable of doing today whilst trying to broaden that range through further training. As I said, I would be genuinely interested if you would share some of your ideas with me on this next time we bump into each other.

I do indeed have the old Budo Sensho Bojutsu book (although I don't have a translation of it yet).

Posted on: 2005/2/28 20:55

"Ultimately, we must forget technique, but forgetting about technique is not the same as never having learned it."
Hideharu Onuma

Kutaki Postmaster
From Los Angeles
Group:
Quote:
sha-boing wrote:
Just wanted to know if there were any good stores on the net that sell bo staffs.

www.e-bogu.com

THEY HAVE A REALLY NICE WHITE OAK BO!

Posted on: 2005/4/2 9:12

Honorary Villager
From San Diego,CA
Group:
I know you're looking for a hardwood bo, but you might want to consider purchasing a padded bo. They're a lot easier on the body when you get hit.

Posted on: 2005/4/3 16:38

Kutaki Postmaster
From Honolulu
Group:
Quote:

subzero9 wrote:
I know you're looking for a hardwood bo, but you might want to consider purchasing a padded bo. They're a lot easier on the body when you get hit.

Maybe I am old fashioned but I am not crazy about the idea of using anything padded. Takes some of the fun and danger out of it. One of the teachers tells us that the possibility you could be seriously injured or die in training should always be at the back of our minds. The higher level students use real daggers and shinken when grappling in armor and performing at enbu. I certainly agree that it makes things interesting.

One of my favorite places to buy bo/jo/hanbo from is www.bokkenshop.com .

Posted on: 2005/4/3 21:26

Deleted_
Quote:

chrismoon wrote:
One of the teachers tells us that the possibility you could be seriously injured or die in training should always be at the back of our minds. The higher level students use real daggers and shinken when grappling in armor and performing at enbu. I certainly agree that it makes things interesting.

Is this teacher a Bujinkan shidoshi? There is a big difference between "martial arts" practiced by us and the "martial dance" performed by most of the so-called masters of Japanese kobudo / koryu budo.

Ask Hatsumi-sensei about it yourself.

Posted on: 2005/4/3 22:36

Kutaki Postmaster
From Honolulu
Group:
Quote:

Hachigoro wrote:
Quote:

chrismoon wrote:
One of the teachers tells us that the possibility you could be seriously injured or die in training should always be at the back of our minds. The higher level students use real daggers and shinken when grappling in armor and performing at enbu. I certainly agree that it makes things interesting.

Is this teacher a Bujinkan shidoshi? There is a big difference between "martial arts" practiced by us and the "martial dance" performed by most of the so-called masters of Japanese kobudo / koryu budo.

Ask Hatsumi-sensei about it yourself.

No it is Takenouchi Toichiro, the soke of Takenouchi Ryu. Hardly a school of martial dance. You can ask him about it yourself, I have his address.

Posted on: 2005/4/4 5:23

Deleted_
Quote:

chrismoon wrote:

No it is Takenouchi Toichiro, the soke of Takenouchi Ryu. Hardly a school of martial dance. You can ask him about it yourself, I have his address.

I might do that if I was posting on a BBS related to Takenokozoku Ryu or whatever you do is called. The fact is that this is a Bujinkan BBS so I think it's pretty presumptuous to be telling people what sort of bo they should be using for training if you haven't actually trained in the Bujinkan yourself.

There are time to use real weapons, times to use wood and times to use padded weapons. Unless you actually train in the Bujinkan you wouldn't know how we use them and when.

Posted on: 2005/4/4 10:04

Cant Stay Offline
From Pennsylvania, USA
Group:
議長 :: Mod
師導士会 :: Shidoshikai
"There are time to use real weapons, times to use wood and times to use padded weapons. Unless you actually train in the Bujinkan you wouldn't know how we use them and when."

That really is what it is all about! Whenever someone is posting for a group you must know who you are talking to and what their training is or your words can be totally off base. That is true no matter how appropiate they may be within "your" experience.
Duncan it is really good to see your posts, hope our paths cross again before too long.

Posted on: 2005/4/4 10:44

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

[Advanced Search]

Today's Sponsor