Recent Topics

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 »

Re: It's hiring time again...
Kutaki Postmaster
From Columbus, ohio
Group:
村民 :: Villager
I am looking at the possibility of going to Japan to teach english and train in about 6-8 months. I don't know any japanese and I will have a BFA in sculpture. Looking at the previous posts it almost seems to be a false assumption that I will actually be able to train if I get a job teaching english. Can anyone update us on what the job market is like in Japan right now, and please comment on the likelihood of being able to teach and train these days? Thanks in advance.

Posted on: 2007/1/20 12:34

Villager
From Chiba, Japan
Group:
議長 :: Mod
Knowing Japanese might help you get a job, but there are many companies out there who will hire you even if you don't speak it at all.
As far as the job market is right now... I was hoping some of the other guys who train more would comment, But I live in the middle of nowhere and train usually once a week, sometimes 2 times.
I know that a lot of Board of Educations are using (changing to) private companies like RCS (or is it RCA?) and Interac to find ALT's because having a JET stationed in your town is becoming more expensive. But if you can hold out and get a job on the JET Program, that would be good, some of the JET's that are stationed closer to training, probably get in about 3 or 4 classes a week.
The best time to find a job is around now, because the current school year ends in March and they will need new teachers in April, but you can probably starting look in the summer because sometimes schools need ALT's when things start back up at the End of August after the summer vacation.
Just in case you don't know, there are 3 types of English teaching jobs, ALT, Eikaiwa and regular English teacher. ALT's usually work from 8:30- 4:15 (it varies) and they assist Japanese English teachers in there classes at Public or Private schools. Eikaiwa, which means English conversation, teach in small groups from children to adult age, and usually in cities (although that city could be in the middle of nowhere). The hours at these schools vary, but it's probably the easiest type of job to get. There are tons of Eikaiwa companies, the big ones are Geos, Nova, Aeon and Berlitz. Then if you have the qualifications, you could be teacher in a school. I don't have any experience in Eikaiwa or being a full time teacher, but if you have any questions about being an ALT, you can ask me.

Posted on: 2007/1/23 13:48

Kutaki Postmaster
From Columbus, ohio
Group:
Fenyx66, thanks for the invite of questions. Moving to Japan to train has been a dream of mine for awhile, and I am sure I am romanticizing it quite a bit. So I'm hoping you can give me a little more of a reality check. You said you only train once a week or so, so what do you do with the rest of your time? Do speak japanese? What is it like for non-japanese speakers to live in Japan? Do you spend time with other non-japanese? And the last question for now is a 3-parter, what is the travel to training like, where do you train, and what is the cost? Thanks in advance.

Posted on: 2007/1/26 14:49

Village Old Timer
From Matsudo City, Chiba, Japan
Group:
You'll need someone to sponsor you.

If you can wait another year, the best bet is to apply to The JET Programme and in your application, indicate that your primary reason for going to Japan is cultural and academic.

If you can't wait for the next JET cycle, then I suggest you look into theMOFA working holiday visa, providing you are within their restrictions (such as age - it's a youth program).

If you want to come over as an ALT, there are a few major ALT recruiting companies - Interac (you could be sent anywhere in Kanto, far from dojos), RCS (pays slave wages but probably can place you close to civilization). There are others, but they may not be able to place you in Kanto.

I work full time. I train from 2-4 times a week, depending on my work schedule, health, sanity, earthquakes and typhoons, size of laundry pile, etc. I sometimes travel more than four hours a day to and from work and to dojo on weeknights. It's brutal but doable. Other folk travel further than I do.

Good luck!

Posted on: 2007/1/26 15:34

Kutaki Postmaster
From 埼玉県、春日部市、日本
Group:
Fenyx66,

I also live in Gunma. I only get to train about once or twice a week as well. Tessen where do you live in Gunma. I am in Ota, Gunma - home of Subaru and Hostess Club mile.
At most Alt Jobs you might, have the time but the money will not support a habit of training more than once or twice a week. The Pay scale has changed quite a bit with the average being about 250000 yen a month.

Rob Hartung

Posted on: 2007/1/26 19:32
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Villager
From Chiba, Japan
Group:
議長 :: Mod
Rob, It was good to meet up with you at training on Saturday, Ota's not so far from me. I'll see you next Saturday.

Heretoday,

I'm going to quickly reply to some of your questions here, but I'm currently writing you a more detailed answer which I will try to PM to you tonight. Maybe some of the other guys can post their answer to some of these questions too.

Tessen姫様 has a lot more experience in finding jobs in Japan and things to do with visas than I do, her input is very valuable.

Quote:

heretoday wrote:
You said you only train once a week or so, so what do you do with the rest of your time?

I hang out with my friends, go to movies, go to the gym, Karaoke. I also like to go and explore around my area, there are lots of shrines and historical places, and I am so close to Tokyo, so I go there often too.

Do you spend time with other non-japanese?

Yes, I sometimes meet up with the other ALT's and my Japanese friends in my area, as well as with the non-japanese and Japanese that train.

What is the travel to training like, and what is the cost?

On Saturday, I either drive or ride my bike to the train station (depending on weather), then I ride 40 minutes by train (costs 500 yen), then I walk about 15 minutes to the gymnasium. On weekdays, when I can go, the train ride is usually around 2 hours and costs about 800 yen.

Anyway, Check your PM box in about 24 hours. I've got the reply sitting on my desktop on my computer at home.

Good luck with your job search. I think these websites are listed somewhere else on this thread, but I'll post them again.
Job sites:
www.gaijinpot.com
www.jobsinjapan.com
http://www.rcs-ed.jp/en/bottom.html
www.jetprogramme.org

www.ithinkimlost.com is a forum made by some JET participants living in Japan, it's not only for JET's though, but maybe you can find some more info there, or maybe not.

Sometimes companies will help you find a place to live, but some expect you to do that on your own. you can try http://www.sakura-house.com/ or http://www.eg.leopalace21.com/index.html I've never used them before, but from the websites, they seem pretty nice and affordable.

Posted on: 2007/1/29 11:05

Kutaki Postmaster
From Columbus, ohio
Group:
Thanks to everyone for your relpies so far. Tessen, I think that waiting for another year to catch the JET program makes the most sense to me. I took a look at both the JET website and the MOFA website. It seems that the MOFA program is only for Europe, so that is out. I can also take some time to learn a little japanese maybe! Fennyx66, thanks for the replies as well, I will keep an eye out for your PM.

Posted on: 2007/1/29 14:36

Kutaki Postmaster
From 埼玉県、春日部市、日本
Group:
Derrick,
Nice meeting you too... But, I won't be there this Saturday, I will be there every Saturday after that though. I have to go to Tokyo this weekend. But, I will be a regular there.
See you arround.

Rob Hartung

Posted on: 2007/1/29 17:14

Village Old Timer
From Matsudo City, Chiba, Japan
Group:
Rob! It was fun meeting up with you and C after training.

Rob wrote:
Quote:
I also live in Gunma. I only get to train about once or twice a week as well. Tessen where do you live in Gunma.

For the record, I don't live in Gunma Prefecture. I live in northern Chiba Pref, and work in Kanagawa and Tokyo.

Nobody needs to tell me my commute is insane.

Joshua, I recommend you hang on for the JET Program. There is no guarantee you'll be placed in the Golden Triangle of Training - Tokyo, N. Chiba, Saitama - but it is likely that you can be placed in Kanto providing you specify where and why. PM me when you need information. Fenny is a more recent JET than I, and may have insights that I don't.

Also keep in mind that there are dojos in other parts of Japna. I'll let someone else who is more informed give you info about that.

Posted on: 2007/1/30 9:53

Kutaki Postmaster
From 埼玉県、春日部市、日本
Group:
Sorry Liz,
I got a little confused for a second when I posted that. How are you doing? Thanks for inviting me out last weekend. Also, I won't be there this coming Saturday, I have to go into Tokyo. But, I will be there the following week.
Take it easy, thanks again... I am looking forward to continuing our conversation.

Thanks
Rob

Posted on: 2007/1/30 17:12

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 »

[Advanced Search]

Today's Sponsor