Dpinga

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

First few steps
Occasional Visitor
From Kingwood, TX
Group:
村民 :: Villager
Hey, I was just wondering whats the best training regimen to use to improve physical endurance as well as technique with Katana and Wakizashi. I'm going to be buying my first set of training equipment soon and I'm just a little clueless as to how I should learn the proper technique. Should I consider purchasing some videos, I seem to be seeing many references to them all over this forum.
Thanks, Kariudo

Posted on: 2005/2/28 11:40

Re: First few steps
Honorary Villager
From Los Angeles,CA
Group:
Quote:

Kariudo wrote:
Hey, I was just wondering whats the best training regimen to use to improve physical endurance as well as technique with Katana and Wakizashi. I'm going to be buying my first set of training equipment soon and I'm just a little clueless as to how I should learn the proper technique. Should I consider purchasing some videos, I seem to be seeing many references to them all over this forum.
Thanks, Kariudo

hi...
If you want to improve your endurance with a sword, you should probably practice the 8 main cuts over and over, with a blunt sword(Moguri?) in regards to technique with the katana, you shouldnt worry so much about technique with the sword itself, but focus more on your taijutsu using the sword as an extension of your body. im sure others could do a better job of explaining this in more detail.

Posted on: 2005/2/28 11:53

Train for war....Pray for peace.
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Occasional Visitor
From Kingwood, TX
Group:
Cool thanks for your help. I'm doing a lot of researching and have found little until now.
Thanks for your advice, Kariudo

Posted on: 2005/2/28 11:57

Cant Stay Offline
From Pennsylvania, USA
Group:
議長 :: Mod
師導士会 :: Shidoshikai
Training with the subarito which is a very heavy thick bokken will strengthen the muscles used in sword work. Then when you pick up a real sword or a bokken it will seem so light in your hands and move easily and quickly. Just another idea ----
Ed Martin aka Papa-san

Posted on: 2005/2/28 22:09

Active Kutakian
Group:
師導士会 :: Shidoshikai
Great idea Papa-San. I use the same tool and practice holding it slightly out in front of me(on line with edge of body)- with one hand(start holding near the area of where a tsuba would normally be-then move down on the handle as you get stronger). Using the wrist only, practice raising and lowering the tool-sort of like making cuts in the air, and in all angles. Start with 5 cuts per angle and increase the number of reps as you get stronger. I think you'll find your wrists and forearms getting stronger quickly. Best wishes.

Posted on: 2005/2/28 22:25

Just Passing Through
From Denver CO
Group:
Good day,
Just a quick/hard question from a beginner. I have been training for about 3 years. I have a vested interest in bo, and have been recently thinking about where the techniques come from. My thought process lead me to understand that most likely they came from fighting with a katana wielding opponent. Thus, I am attempting to work more katana in my solo training. It has been just my luck, that not much katana work has found its way into my more 'formal' training. I was wondering if anyone could relate some good katana kata, such as the 8 main cuts, (what are they?) Thanks for your time
(I hope that this is not too out of context with this thread)

Posted on: 2005/3/1 2:10

Kutaki Postmaster
From Colorado
Group:
When I was in Japan the last time I was at the Dojo of one of the Shihan's. We were practicing the proper form for various sword cuts. I noticed that he was using an axe handle with no blade. When I asked why I was told that by using the heavier end as the tip he got a good workout and increased stremgth and endurance.

Posted on: 2005/3/1 9:41

Alan Witty...
www.warriorwindma.com

Honorary Villager
From Los Angeles,CA
Group:
Quote:

zaknafien wrote:
Good day,
Just a quick/hard question from a beginner. I have been training for about 3 years. I have a vested interest in bo, and have been recently thinking about where the techniques come from. My thought process lead me to understand that most likely they came from fighting with a katana wielding opponent. Thus, I am attempting to work more katana in my solo training. It has been just my luck, that not much katana work has found its way into my more 'formal' training. I was wondering if anyone could relate some good katana kata, such as the 8 main cuts, (what are they?) Thanks for your time
(I hope that this is not too out of context with this thread)

the 8 main cuts, are as follows:

1)straight down
2)straight up
3)across the[torso, head, legs] from left to right
4)across the[torso, head, legs] from right to left
5)diagonal down to the left
6)diagonal down to the right
7)diagonal up to the left
8)diagonal up to the right

of course then there are other techniques that you could practice such as stabbing, reverse grip techniques such as the 8 main cuts in reverse grip, figure eights, reverse stabbing and other techniques....OH!! and dont forget your taijutsu!

Posted on: 2005/3/1 10:05

Train for war....Pray for peace.

Just Passing Through
From Denver CO
Group:
....OH!! and dont forget your taijutsu! [/quote]

Believe me, I learned that lesson the first time I used a bo, I never realized that I had the taijutsu of a mentally challenged yeti!
Thanks for your help

Patrick

Posted on: 2005/3/1 23:24

Deleted_
Are there any videos, websites or books that show how these are performed? I think I have a pretty good idea as to how they are done, but I'd rather see what they look like when executed by a skilled practitioner.

Posted on: 2005/3/14 22:54

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Today's Sponsor