schistkicker

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Re: Stealth...
Frequent Visitor
From New Caney,tx
Group:
村民 :: Villager
I walk behind my wife in the dark after telling her to check on the kids then tapped her on the shoulder not recomended if one doesn't want to sleep on the couch

Posted on: 2005/3/12 1:00
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Kutaki Postmaster
From Wakefield, England
Group:
Quote:

Anvilfire wrote:
I walk behind my wife in the dark after telling her to check on the kids then tapped her on the shoulder not recomended if one doesn't want to sleep on the couch

Does this come from personal knowledge?

Posted on: 2005/3/12 1:52

"Sensei, all your children have guns. What shall we do?"
"Let them kill each other, that way they will learn"

Frequent Visitor
From New Caney,tx
Group:
he,he I plead the 5th

Posted on: 2005/3/12 3:42

Permanent Village Fixture
From Toronto/Waterloo, Canada Eh!
Group:
I like to go for walks at night when no one else is around and all is quite (but no I do not dress weird when I do it) I find this especially fun when camping, I walk through the woods, on the gravel, though tall grass, across wet grass, docks, etc.

Obviously if you're slowly sneaking around you can make less noise. But I think that these skills should be an everyday thing. My family walks around like elephants all the time, I do not... which has caused me to get into trouble on a few occasions. I find that I naturally walk far more quitely than most ppl, not silently(unless acctually taking my time and such) but just normal walking has become much quiter... and causes me to get yelled at for sneaking up on ppl (which I wasn't intentionally doing).

I think its important to walk quitely as your normal walk as well as to practice silent movement.
my 2 cents

Posted on: 2005/3/12 4:25

Frequent Visitor
From New Caney,tx
Group:
I think alot of my experience came from deer hunting when I was a kid .

Posted on: 2005/3/12 4:35

Honorary Villager
From Chicago, IL
Group:
I have to agree with Jon on this one. Whatever environment you're in has the potential to be a "practice ground". You have to make it an every moment, every day kinda thing. Work on smooth, fluid motions, while staying sensitive to your surroundings. That alone will teach you volumes about "stealth" if you really make a study of it.

Posted on: 2005/3/12 4:44

"And all the harm that ever I've done, Alas, it was to none but me..." - (as sung by) Shane Macgowan

"In the midst of peace, war is looked upon as an object too distant to merit consideration." - Renatus

Active Kutakian
From Brisbane, Australia
Group:
Quote:

TenguKkshi wrote:
..Whatever environment you're in has the potential to be a "practice ground". You have to make it an every moment, every day kinda thing. Work on smooth, fluid motions, while staying sensitive to your surroundings. That alone will teach you volumes about "stealth" if you really make a study of it.

That seems like a very sensible way to train for this. I suppose you could consider it an extension of training your awareness and control of your self. Perhaps its more about being in harmony with your environment, 'blending in', as opposed to sneaking around and hiding from people. I'll hazard a guess that your breathing is a very important part of it.

Posted on: 2005/3/12 13:14

Permanent Village Fixture
From Toronto/Waterloo, Canada Eh!
Group:
I feel that it just comes from being relaxed and 'unafraid' of your surroundings (by that I mean not constantly worrying and looking over your shoulder...not always the case though)

If you are relax you will move more smoothly and more quitely... not silently ... but relative to the rest of the world you will be.

I would also recommend cracking/stretching yourself and especially your feet if you are trying for strict silence!

I am by no means a silent person, but if at ~185lbs I can walk quitely through a creaky house without focusing on it at all than I think I'm doing something right.

again though a summer stroll at night is perfect as you can relax and enjoy the night while doing some light training ...dressing up in all black and looking like your sneaking around defeats the purpose though!!! You don't have to be alone, and its doesn't need to be an active training

PS: listen to how other ppl walk and try to judge how many ppl there are, or which family member it is that you're hearing.

Posted on: 2005/3/12 15:05

Honorary Villager
From Santa Barbara, CA, USA
Group:
Tabi or no Tabi, that is my question... for where tis nobler... oh... sorry

Posted on: 2005/3/14 14:16

Kutaki Postmaster
From Wakefield, England
Group:
So what would you decide is the better footwear to walk around silently in?

Tabi's are soft soled and can let in water, where as military boots are heavy and makes noise. Walking in different footwear needs a different way of walking. Sneakers squeak on polished floorboards so you have to minimize that. Military boots clunk as you walk heel to toe, so you have to work out how to get that noise down.

So there is a lot more to stealth than just a walk, you have to consider what footwear works well to the situation.

Posted on: 2005/3/14 19:23

"Sensei, all your children have guns. What shall we do?"
"Let them kill each other, that way they will learn"

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

[Advanced Search]

Today's Sponsor