Recent Topics

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Re: Stealth...
Active Kutakian
From Sheffield, England
Group:
村民 :: Villager
Sorry - I did a post then realised the answer was already elsewhere.

Posted on: 2005/3/14 20:05
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Honorary Villager
From UK
Group:
If you're doing it as part of normal, everyday moving around, then whatever you're wearing! Have you tried to be silent in flip-flops? It's possible, but it takes a lot of effort. Walking silently in hiking boots is fairly easy - they are (or should be) well-fitting, and hence very comfortable, so you just have to walk normally.

If you're out on the street, and want to wear tabi, there are those Nike Tabi trainer(sneaker)-like things; they would attract a little less attention than black training tabi!

Posted on: 2005/3/14 21:50

Cant Stay Offline
From Pennsylvania, USA
Group:
議長 :: Mod
師導士会 :: Shidoshikai
Along with the "footwear" considerations and the relaxed mind/attitude/body situations mentioned there are also some "technical" skills to practice. The way you put your foot on the ground and transfer weight for example. Briefly if the first surface to contact the ground is the side "edge" of the foot and then it is slowly rolled inward until totally one the ground before GRADUALLY transeferring weight to it, you can dramatically lessen any noise --- even on gravel. I believe Jeff Walker, one of my students from Little Rock will be doing a seminar on "urban stealth" in the St. Louis area shortly, don't have the date, but if you are in that area he has a lot of knowlege on this.
Ed Martin aka Papa-san

Posted on: 2005/3/15 8:48

Permanent Village Fixture
From Toronto/Waterloo, Canada Eh!
Group:
I was really just refering to wearing whatever shoes you had on at the time... if your goign for complete silence than thats a different story in and of itself and will require a lot of consideration on your part.

BUT as you're more likely to be thrown into a situation these days than to be breaking into a castle and sneaking around, the planning part isn't ussually there.

Therefore I'd say to just try it in all different types of footwear! and also be aware of the noise that your pants and sleeves make as you walk, your change etc, ... and does your chosen clothing draw unwanted attention?

many things to think of... but I think that its more practical and more fun to just get out there and attempt it... later on you can start thinking of how to move so that you can't be tracked as easily and such

Posted on: 2005/3/15 12:17

Kutaki Postmaster
From Wakefield, England
Group:
Last year when taking the kids class, we decided to see who can do a log roll silently. If htey made noise they were tapped by the shinai.

After the third person got hit, they realized that it was their belts hitting the floor that made a noise, and quickly tucked in their belts. Other noises came from not having their feet together and the shoes hitting the floor. A few days later and they were mostly silent. Only one or two moved too quick and their dogi's made a noise.

It was all done in fun. They enjoyed it.

Quote:

Jon wrote:

Therefore I'd say to just try it in all different types of footwear! and also be aware of the noise that your pants and sleeves make as you walk, your change etc, ... and does your chosen clothing draw unwanted attention?

Last year or so, I posted a link to a website for the Volunteers Pocket Handbook. This is written for the Territorial Army in the UK and gives guidlines on fieldcraft, but also walking in darkness and walking in general. It tells of stealth walking in boots by rolling the foot from the outside in. Works well in military boots.

Posted on: 2005/3/15 19:30

"Sensei, all your children have guns. What shall we do?"
"Let them kill each other, that way they will learn"

Just Passing Through
From Leeds, England, UK
Group:
Guys, you know sometimes the best way not to get noticed is to make noise, especally if everyone else around you is. Being quiet in a group of noisey people can actually make you stand out and get noticed. It's about moving appropriateley for the situation.
I have a bit of a problem in that I've developed a natural walk which is similar to the stealth walk, nice and balanced and economical in movement. BUT, the problem is if I just walk down the street like that, I scare half the kids, dogs and little old ladies, even if I'm smiling and projecting an inofensive persona. I have to make myself walk "normally".
Cheers....Jen

Posted on: 2005/4/1 1:55

Active Kutakian
From New York
Group:
Just wanted to say THANK YOU to Col Bob for sharing his Tokugawa Palace NightingGale floor memories... Reminded me of when I was in Kyoto at Nijo castle with a few friends.

Posted on: 2005/4/1 2:37

Deleted_
I practice stealth in everyday life by trying to always move silently. Also, my house has motion detectors, so I try to not set those off at night.

Posted on: 2005/6/16 1:46

Deleted_
Quote:

OceanNinja wrote:
Wanted to share a personal story that reflects, in a positive way to, our stealth training(walking). Last July I was in Japan for training with the Boss. Had occasion to go to the Tokugawa Palace which has the chirping "nightengale floors" in it. Tourists walking through the place sound like an elephant charge anyways on the expansive wood floors-combine it with the chirping and its as loud as a rock concert. In anycase, I waited for a break in the action when very few folks were going through one section of hallway- I was walking behind my wife looking at the large tatami rooms and painted screens and decided to see "if this stuff" works-if I could defeat the chirping noise. I walked for some way normally, then, started to apply some of the stealth walking skills I'd learned. Sure enough I went from noise to silent stealth mode. My wife turned around after 20 or so seconds thinking I wasn't behind her anymore-I was. She and I were amazed that the skills worked. Doing so, in the Tokagawa Palace museum ,has become a wonderful memory and engendered a special feeling----bringing the days of antiquity into the present for me.

Hahaha!

I had the chance to do the same thing several years ago... it was very interesting spending time doing a few different types of walking and seeing how it affected the floor there.

Quite a unique experience to say the least...

Posted on: 2005/6/16 2:52

Deleted_
I had a great laugh and a real good look around for the hidden camera after stepping onto the foot path just past the bicycles on the way to honbu. I suspect these loose concrete slabs catch a lot of people out.

Dave Killick

Posted on: 2005/6/16 13:20

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

[Advanced Search]

Today's Sponsor