Register now!
Socialize

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Rank
Deleted_
Since this is a new martial art for me.
This is a 2 part question.
1.) As far as the kyu's go what is the color scheme for those ranks.
2. Why is there 15 or how high dan rankings. I am not trying to be smart about this question. It is just that I come from korean styles and any thing above 9th or 10th dan sounds kind of fishy.( but that is just me)

Thanks guy's and lady's

Posted on: 2005/3/13 6:38
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Rank
Honorary Villager
From Texas
Group:
村民 :: Villager
Bujinkan kyu grading starts from 9 thru 1 and are all green belt (females are red belt regardless of kyu or dan grading, but many of the females will wear the green for kyu and black for dan too).

Bujinkan dan ranking really only goes to 10 and there are added levels to that 10th dan. earth (11th), water (12th), wind (13th), fire (14th), and void (15th). For example earth 10th dan will be called 11th dan. It makes it easier for the bujinkan members and mostly other martial arts community to understand what level you are. It is not uncommon historically to have higher rankings past the 10.

Carl

Posted on: 2005/3/13 7:49

Deleted_
Thanks

Posted on: 2005/3/13 7:52

Kutaki Postmaster
Group:
Quote:

hapobiraki wrote:
Bujinkan kyu grading starts from 9 thru 1 and are all green belt (females are red belt regardless of kyu or dan grading, but many of the females will wear the green for kyu and black for dan too).
Carl

This is not correct!

Mukyū --> white belt (male, female, children)
9th Kyū to 1st Kyū --> green belt (male); red belt (female); yellow belt (children)
Shodan and above --> black belt (male, female, children)

[Women wear a red belt only from 9th Kyū to 1st Kyū!]

Today most Dōjō-chō decided that everyone after the white belt wears the green belt before they become Shodan and wear a black belt. This is valid for women and children alike. (We are all the same, right?!) Some Dōjō-chō decided to have a different colour for the different Kyū grades. Others use another colour (e.g. brown) for the higher Kyū grades. a.s.o.

Posted on: 2005/3/13 22:28

村長 :: Sonchou
From Chiba, Japan
Group:
村長 :: Admin
Is yellow belt for children a Bujinkan standard?
Where / when did this start?

Never heard of it, but then again I have no experience teaching children...

Shawn

Posted on: 2005/3/14 0:13

Active Kutakian
From Winterpeg, Manitoba, Canada
Group:
師導士会 :: Shidoshikai

Posted on: 2005/3/14 0:37

Kutaki Postmaster
Group:
To the best of my knowledge that’s how Hatsumi-sensei wanted it to be. However what I don’t know is what his intenion was where to draw the line between child and „adult“ (male, female).

Original Bujinkan belt system:
Mukyū --> white
9th Kyū to 1st Kyū --> green (male), red (female), yellow (children)
Shodan an above --> black

As far as I remember this system is used in the 50 Jiraiya episodes, right?

As to when this started and why you had to ask Hatsumi-sensei himself. But I assume this is a very old idea. During the filming of Jiraiya this seems already have been established as mentioned above.

The first picture in the article about „Japanese Children in Ninjutsu“ clearly shows yellow belts. I was not able to find out when this article was published. Certainly not in 2002! Does anyone know when this article first appeared?
[Edited: Seems to have been in 1985 or 1986!]

@ radarblip: No, my knowledge about the subject doesn’t come from such sources!

Posted on: 2005/3/14 2:53

Cant Stay Offline
From Hamina, Finland
Group:
議長 :: Mod
師導士会 :: Shidoshikai
...just pipin' in...

When I started (mid 80's) it was (I recall):

- the yellow (Kyû, kids)
- green/red (Kyû, male/female)
- black (Dan-grades, though ladies could choose to keep the red still)

We also used the lilac Budôgi for the ladies (some liked it, some hated it ).

On the lilac Budôgi we have "given up" but the belts are still the same way...

----------
Ari Julku
Shidôshi
Bujinkan Yamazu Dôjô

Posted on: 2005/3/14 6:26

Honorary Villager
From Texas
Group:
This is how i remember it too in the 80's up to the early 90's at least.

Mu-kyu (white belt for all). Forgot to mention this in my original post. "Mu" has a meaning of no or nothingness, so having no rank. So stating that kyu or ranking started with green may be correct? lol. Guess this is my abstract view point on this, i'm probably wrong on viewing it like this.

9th-1st Kyu (green for males and red for females, though i found most the females at least outside of Japan prefer to wear the green).

Shodan-Judan plus the added go-dai levels to judan are all black (females may choose to still wear the red belt).

Then i remember the confusion during the mid 90's on kyu grading and that some students were accidently getting pass over for rank before others. So brown belt came into play starting with 5th kyu to 1st kyu. Approvel was given from Hatsumi to start using the brown outside of Japan. In Japan they still kept the old system to my knowledge.

Times have change now and color kyu system varies from dojo to dojo at least in the States. I have seen various color belts now. Reasons for this is for other students to better distinguish their seniors. Gives them clearer goals. The outside world from the dojo seems to better understand the various color belts than having one color belt or calling them 9th kyu, 8th kyu, etc. Various reasons for the changes which i won't bother going into.

Now for my curiousity i was wondering what color belt system they use now in Japan. Or does it vary from dojo to dojo. Maybe someone currently training in Japan can answer this.

Sincerely,
Carl

Posted on: 2005/3/14 12:20

Deleted_
That is cool info Carl. But as far as going up the kyu's.
Do you guys put stripes on the belt to show the diffrent levels of green Belt. Or you are just green belt and deal with it kind of thing. With that last statment I was not trying to be funny or rude. You see I ask because I come from mostly korean styles where they give blets for blowing your nose or farting.( sorry I couldn't help that one. And no not all korean schools do that but some do.)
So when I hear of a school, doing it old school it is diffrent(cool)but diffrent.
Thanks Carl
Carl(blade)

Posted on: 2005/3/14 14:47

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Today's Sponsor