Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 4 5 »

Please read if training in Japan or planning on coming to Japan
Honorary Villager
From Tokyo Japan
Group:
村民 :: Villager
Dear respectful Bujinkan members:

Due to the increasing numbers of people attending training and visiting Japan recently, we have been asked to clarify the guidelines for visiting Japan. This is directed to those that visit Japan for training on a regular basis-and those that are planning on visiting Japan in the near future. The following points have recently become a concern for many of the people who volunteer their time and are responsible for various things here at the Hombu and Ayase classes and need to be made very clear to avoid miscommunication, or problems in the future.

Recently, due to various reasons, such as no plans for a Taikai or other various “rumors” going around, there has been a very large constant flow of visitors and practitioners from around the world to the Hombu Dojo and Ayase classes. It is great to see so many people training in the Bujinkan and making the trip to Japan to train here. Training in Japan is definitely a unique experience and something that all members should do when they can. Sensei has been very happy and energetic to see so many people coming in the last couple of months on a constant basis. The Hombu Dojo has been very full and Ayase almost looks like a Daikomyosai from 10 years ago.

However, please remember to review the rules of the Bujinkan before attending the training sessions as well as being up to date with your membership etc.

www001.upp.so-net.ne.jp/bujinkan/bjk/guidelines.htm

There have been increasing problems with many things lately such as:

• Garbage in and around the Hombu and Ayase Dojo’s
• People taking photos or video without permission
• Drinking and eating in the dojo at Ayase

Also please be aware of the following rules and guidelines:

http://www001.upp.so-net.ne.jp/bujinkan/forthose.htm

Visiting Soke's classes

1. Those who don't belong to the Bujinkan cannot watch Soke's classes without permission. If you need permission, please talk to Ohashi san or a Shihan at the Dojo beforehand.

2. What we are learning here is Budo, not a sport. We don't allow you to take photos during the session without previous permission by Soke (even if you are a Bujinkan member).

3. Please don't ask Soke for a conversation or a photo unless you know him directly.

4. Those who cannot read the atmosphere often cause difficulty. Please be careful.

Planning to order something from the Hombu office?

1.Soke's assistants usually mail items to the people who ordered them, however some of them return as dead mail because the address is not correct. This is a waste of time for both sides. Please write your CORRECT addresses with READABLE letters. (It's appreciated if printed.) And additionally, your e-mail addresses or URLs might help the Hombu staff when you have such troubles.

2.When you send the money (in Yen or as an 'International Money Order') to the Hombu office, please don't forget to enclose the list of what you want in the same envelope. If the Hombu office receives only one of the two, you won't get anything (or have to wait for a long time at best). Please be careful about this because this kind of problem happens very often. Needless to say, the money should be exact.

3.If you want QUEST DVDs/videos, please buy them at/though bookstores etc. (either online or offline). The Hombu Office has stopped selling them.

These things may not seem like a big deal to people, however, it is a large burden for all members, if one person is not respectful of the rules, or non cooperative when it comes to enforcement of these rules. Training is for everyone, but if we continue this way it may become difficult in the future if we cannot be respectful and careful.

Granted, it is not possible to know all the rules or guidelines and that’s why you should ASK before doing things. You should be humble and sensitive to the situation and be patient especially when someone with obvious authority is asking you to stop or cease something that is not allowed.-There comments are always made by people asked to do so directly by Soke or someone very senior in the Dojo and are not doing so on their own accord. There is NO excuse for arguments that arise regarding this.

Another important point that is being more and more overlooked is the fact that Japan is a unique place. It is not America, England or any other country. Therefore, people need to be sensitive when visiting here. Garbage is treated differently than any other country and basic rules are expected to be followed with respect and consideration. This goes for how you handle garbage at your Ryokan, Hotel etc. It should be handled in the expected manner . Culture, rules and other things you take for granted in your home country do not apply in Japan or can even be considered rude or disrespectful in Japan. There is NO excuse for continued misunderstanding in this area. The reputation of the Bujinkan and its members are at stake.

Also, members are now attending training sessions with their families, children, friends and colleagues. This generally requires permission by the instructor, or Soke, if at his class. It is the sole responsibility of the member bringing someone to gain permission for those people to watch training, take pictures, etc.

People who bring someone must be respectful as well as take responsibility for those people to understand the rules. Otherwise, no one will be allowed to watch training or be present while training is taking place unless they are a participating Bujinkan member. This statement has been made on several occasions.

Most importantly, Shidoshi are responsible for their students when they visit the Hombu and should be aware of when they are visiting. Students visiting will be representing their Shidoshi when they are here. Please be aware that the names of the Shidoshi are often asked when people are visiting in order to be clear on the person’s history or credibility. This is common sense in the world of Budo. Especially, senior members of the Bujinkan have a growing responsibility for their students' actions as well as upholding the honor and respect of the Bujinkan.

We are asking everyone to be more sensitive to the situation and therefore preserve the training experience for present and future Bujinkan members. Above all, this is expected and requested out of respect for our Soke and the Bujinkan.

Hope to see you all in Japan.

Doug Wilson, 12th Dan - Bujinkan Hombu Dojo
George Ohashi, 12th Dan - Bujinkan Hombu and Ayase Class Administrator

Posted on: 2005/4/20 17:43
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Please read if training in Japan or planning on coming to Japan
Deleted_
Quote:

Fudoshin wrote:
3. Please don't ask Soke for a conversation or a photo unless you know him directly.

I don't intend to be rude or anything but..you can't even have a chat with the guy!?

Posted on: 2005/4/20 20:04

Kutaki Postmaster
From Dublin, Ireland
Group:
I can understand totally why he may have asked for this level of consideration. If there are 80 people at training, 50 or 60 of them would probably love to shoot the breeze with Soke - but he can't chat with everyone, can he? So who gets to chat and who doesn't?

If Soke entertained everyone in the Bujinkan who would like some individual attention, there would be no time for training.

I would say it depends on what you want to say, as well. There are lots of senior people around who can answer 99 per cent of questions, and if something really needs Soke's attention, the thing to do is ask one of the regulars if they will help you, and at the same time, you can ask them whether it's a good idea to bring the issue to Soke. Odds are they will be able to tell you whether it's a good idea or not.

Posted on: 2005/4/20 20:20

Honorary Villager
From UK
Group:
Imagine 50 or more foreigners coming up to you because they want a 'chat' or a photo. I have been to just the one honbu class, several years ago, and the number of foreign students there surprised me. I hate to think how much that has grown in the intervening years.

While I'm sure soke would love to chat to everyone, there is only so much time in the day!

However, on that same trip to Tokyo I attended a smaller dojo (I'm not sure if that was Ayase - it may have been). There were many fewer people there (though the place was packed to bursting). Soke wandered round and spoke to each student personally. I think he asked myself and my training partner where we were from, and that was it. Given the number of people there, it would have been easier for him to have just stood at the front and watched in silence. That he took the effort to make that personal contact, however small, was much appreciated.

Obviously these are just two experiences from several years ago - things have changed, they are bound to...but you have to appreciate the situation, especially the number of people involved.

Posted on: 2005/4/20 20:20

Deleted_
Yes of course, i understand. But what about 'Hi i really like what you have done with this art, thanks a bunch!'
Its just the description of 'you must not talk to him unless you know him personally!' seemed a bit much. Although as always, you need to have a feeling for what is acceptable.

Posted on: 2005/4/20 20:28

Kutaki Postmaster
From Dublin, Ireland
Group:
Quote:
Although as always, you need to have a feeling for what is acceptable.

I think you have hit the nail on the head with this - everyone should have a feeling for what is acceptable, but unfortunately not everyone does.

Posted on: 2005/4/20 20:38

Cant Stay Offline
From Hamina, Finland
Group:
議長 :: Mod
師導士会 :: Shidoshikai
Hmm, maybe that "acknowledging the art" can be done by concentrating on the physical training? Maybe by already being over there you are saying just that?

-----------
Ari Julku
Shidôshi
Bujinkan Yamazu Dôjô

Posted on: 2005/4/20 20:39

Deleted_
Quote:

grey wrote:
Yes of course, i understand. But what about 'Hi i really like what you have done with this art, thanks a bunch!'
Its just the description of 'you must not talk to him unless you know him personally!' seemed a bit much. Although as always, you need to have a feeling for what is acceptable.

Thanks for the comment. It's me who wrote the line and I wanted to mean what Alex et al. explained here. (We had a disgusting woman at Hombu that night I wrote it.)
So I'm willing to change the expression to a better one if you (or somebody) offer it to me.

BTW, you look very young.

Posted on: 2005/4/20 20:52

Deleted_
Well how about something like:
'Lately at Hombu, there have been a large number of people coming to train, because of this it may not be possible for everyone to ask soke for a conversation or a photo as he is busy running the class. Talk to your instructor or senior first to find out what is appropriate.'

Quote:
BTW, you look very young.

Its not me, just a funny picture i found

Posted on: 2005/4/20 21:23

Deleted_
Thanks. But the woman was just a visitor who came with a beginner if my memory serves me. I think she should have listened to me more carefully, but she didn't.

Posted on: 2005/4/20 21:33

(1) 2 3 4 5 »

[Advanced Search]

Today's Sponsor