Re: 4-24 class comments
Cant Stay Offline
From Hamina, Finland
Group:
村民 :: Villager
議長 :: Mod
師導士会 :: Shidoshikai
On "resistant" Ukes...

In a way "resistance is(n't) futile", as the - in most cases - Uke knows what's about to happen and can move accordingly. In training this is where the Uke can save his/her life&limb by preparing for the "saving throw".

But, if resisting for the sake of resisting, as in "ah-ah, can't do this to me!"... Well, there's always "something else coming around the corner", something you are not prepared for. And then you miss your possible save. We don't wanna put any other trainee into that position of shame (that he had to hurt me).

I remember an excellent story from Ura&Omote from way back when - think it was written by Shihan Maurantonio; in it a visiting trainee was telling "this don't work" and put effort into stopping it, succeeding (for the above mentioned reasons). But as the Waza was changed, and the previous Waza he had just succesfully resisted was applied again, he fell for it hook line and sinker!!!

So, "resistance is easy... but really is futile!" Especially if we take the bigger picture.

PS Danny, what Kanji are used for the "Jushin", if you happen to know?

---------------
Ari Julku
Shidôshi
Bujinkan Yamazu Dôjô

Posted on: 2005/4/25 15:43
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Villager
From Tokyo (originally from Quebec)
Group:
on resisting uke...

People that resist either have to prove they are stronger than tori, or just are bad ukes. They need more training and they dont know how to attack properly, thats all.
Arnaud makes a big speech everytime he comes to our dojo in quebec on how we need to attack properly and that resisting is either cause your taijutsu is bad, or cause you think youre good. I think hes right.

I sucks for Nagato san that someone came to his class and did that.

Posted on: 2005/4/25 16:15

Village Old Timer
Group:
I have often found that resistance comes from people who are afraid. They are afraid to be thrown, or roll, or hit the ground. They tend to resist and try to find their own way to the ground.

Posted on: 2005/4/25 16:40

Cant Stay Offline
From Hamina, Finland
Group:
Quote:
...resistance comes from people who are afraid.

Yap. They are "bad Uke's" - as in not so good yet, and need to study more. But, then again, training with your Sempai should always be a bit scary, neh? There have been many occations when I've Uke'd for a Shihan on a seminar and... well, you just have to make it! Usually you are given chances equal to your level of Taijutsu to "bail out of it". If you don't take it... There's a lesson there, too, being an Uke. A valuable one, very so, methinks!

PS too many trainees seem to forget half the training they are given - and concentrate too much on the "Tori'ing"...

-------------
Ari Julku
Shidôshi
Bujinkan Yamazu Dôjô

Posted on: 2005/4/25 16:57

Deleted_

Posted on: 2005/4/25 17:04

Deleted_
It's "重心".

HTH

Posted on: 2005/4/25 17:12

Cant Stay Offline
From Hamina, Finland
Group:
Muchos gracias!!!

Am just curious this way (pun unintended) - like to know the "particles" aswell, might open up new views, too, make the idea behind the word visible, perhaps...

-------------
Ari Julku
Shidôshi
Bujinkan Yamazu Dôjô

Posted on: 2005/4/25 19:19

[Advanced Search]

Today's Sponsor