Bumbling-budoka

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Database Overflow
村長 :: Sonchou
From Chiba, Japan
Group:
村長 :: Admin
村民 :: Villager
Tonight at approximately 23:20, Kutaki stopped responding. The cause of the problem turned out to be that the database had grown too big and overflowed the hard disk partition it resided in. I stopped the database server, moved the data to a partition with lots of room, and eventually got things going again.

However, because the overflow occured while data was being written to the database, two of the database tables were damaged: the table that holds the text of user posts and the table that holds PMs (private messages). I have not yet been able to recover that data, but have been running an automated database backup nightly at 2:30am, so I was able to recover the table data from last night's backup. What all this means is:

- All posts and private messages made between approximately 02:30am and 23:20pm on May 2nd (JST) should be considered lost at this point. Recovery, while possibly doable from a technical standpoint, is not really feasible from a time and energy standpoint at the present time.

- Because information such as the time, user, thread, etc. related to posts is stored in a different table than the text of the posts themselves, posts made during the above timeframe will still appear in some lists and links, but when those links are clicked, nothing will show up because the text of the post itself no longer exists. In order to continue threads where they left off, my only advice at this point is to go back and reply to the last post you can see in the thread and continue from there.

My apologies for the inconvenience - I am just glad that I started doing nightly backups recently rather than weekly backups as I had been doing before. Thanks to Ethos, Kreth, and superdan for shooting recovery ideas back and forth on the #bujinkan IRC channel while I was trying to figure out the best way to put the pieces back together.

Back to it - and once again, sorry for the inconvenience.

Shawn

Posted on: 2005/5/3 2:39
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

[Advanced Search]

Today's Sponsor