Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Kamidana?
Village Old Timer
From Dayton, Ohio
Group:
村民 :: Villager
Hi everyone,

I am too excited!! We are in the process of moving our Dojo to a much larger place which will be GREAT!! We will have 100 mats and room to spare! We have created a floor system that is firm but spares the bones on large throws.

In the process of preparing to move, we were wondering where is the proper place to put the Kamidana? With research we have heard on the east wall, facing the east wall, in the north? Then we heard that in the home it goes where ever they have space. We have chosen to place ours on the west wall - facing the east - mainly because that is where it will look the best.

Is there a proper place to put the Kamidana?

Marty Dunsky

P.S. The place is AWESOME!!

Posted on: 2005/5/5 10:12
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Kamidana?
Kutaki Postmaster
From Los Angeles
Group:
I have also heard: Facing the enterance because supposedly the Kamidana represents the enterence to heaven and the Foo Dogs are the protectors of the Gate. So when one enters the Dojo this is the first thing they see, the kami will protect the dojo from evil, and are reminded of the Kami. but I could have been misinformed.

Posted on: 2005/5/5 10:24

Villager
From Philadelphia, PA
Group:
Hello there

According to an article written by Fumio Manaka of the Jinekan, the Kamidana can face either south or east, BUT, it must never be placed above an entrance or an exit. According to him, "the intent is that humans cannot pass in and out beneath the Kamidana". Here's the link if you are interested: www.jinenkan.org/Shinden.htm

I hope this helps and also congratulations on the new dojo. Take care and Happy Training.

Posted on: 2005/5/5 11:17
bmsdojo@yahoo.com
Philadelphia, PA

Active Kutakian
From Winterpeg, Manitoba, Canada
Group:
師導士会 :: Shidoshikai
"Traditionally"...
the order of preferance is North, West, East, South. There should not be a clear path from the exterior door of the Dojo to the Kamidana.

Ideally you create two seperate areas. An outer area of the Dojo, which is the main entrance/admin/social area, and an inner area, which has changing rooms and the training area. The doorways of the outer and inner should no line up. That's bad Fengshui (Fusui).

"Practically"...
Place it where ever feels right in the space you've got :)

Posted on: 2005/5/5 11:18

Deleted_

Posted on: 2005/5/5 12:03

Village Old Timer
From Dayton, Ohio
Group:
Danny,

Are you saying that if we are not followers of the Shinto religion that we should not have a kamidana?

I do feel it is part of the tradition of the Bujinkan to have a kamidana. There are many teaching and philosophical tools on our Kamidana and it is usefull to understand what is that thing on the wall at Hombu.

We have done some research on the question of the post but as I have said, we received very different answers. I asked the Kutaki population to see if anyone has heard of a Bujinkan tradition. The answers are very interesting and helpfull - thank you.

Marty

Posted on: 2005/5/5 14:37

Deleted_
As Danny said, you don't NEED a Kamidana if you are not followers of Shinto. It is not a must for the dojo to have a Kamidana. But I won't say you SHOULDN'T have one.

Generally speaking, Japanese people are not strict about their religious beliefs. Many Japanese go to shrines only one week after they had Xmas parties.

So, if you want to have a Kamidana for your dojo seriously, please do so.

Posted on: 2005/5/5 15:52

Frequent Visitor
Group:
If you do use the Kamidana be sure to take care of it by giving it water,tea and sometimes food.I was going to purchase a Kamidana but because I am so forgetful with things my wife forbidded me to purchase it based on not feeding it.Also Kamidana are on ebay may have evil spirits in them at least that is what my wife tells me.

Posted on: 2005/5/5 21:42

Cant Stay Offline
From Hamina, Finland
Group:
議長 :: Mod
師導士会 :: Shidoshikai
Quote:
Also Kamidana are on ebay may have evil spirits in them at least that is what my wife tells me.

[OT]
Yes, the shrines on E-bay might have passed through some daemons I mean
[/OT]

Posted on: 2005/5/5 22:07
(Bujinkan Budōka since 1985)

Villager
From Philadelphia, PA
Group:
Hello there. I think radarblip was right. This is a quote that I found on an "Ura and Omote" newsletter (1995) written by Mats Hjelm:

"... The actual kami-dana should be placed if possible, on the north wall of the dojo. The second choice is the West wall, next is the East wall, and last is South. The north has the significance of being heaven's path since the north star is considered the first star of heaven. Remember that in ancient times the North star was the beacon of heaven on which navigators plotted their course.

Once you have decided its location, put up a shelf about five or six feet long and on this place a wooden shrine. This shrine should have a 'prayer paper' inside.

On either one side or both sides of the shrine you should place cuttings from a green plant, or a plant itself, in a small container. This stands for life, something growing.

Next put three separate containers, one with salt, the next with rice (wash it first) and the last filled with water on the kami-dana. These represent the elements needed to sustain life. Place these to the side of the shrine.

After all this place three, five, seven or nine candle holders on the foremost edge of the shelf (in front of the shrine). For a dojo it is best with either five or nine candles. Before each class the candles are lit, at which time we meditate, then we have our recitation, and finally our bow. The fire from the candle has many meanings for us. The fire means the light we give to the world of darkness.

You should hang a rice rope in front and above the kami-dana (if you can't get rice rope then any kind of natural fiber rope will do).

Last but not least get rice paper and cut and fold it so that you end up with four or five pieces of paper resembling lightning bolts. Hang these from the rope. The white rice paper has the meaning of 'this Is the Spirit's place, pure and clean.'

If you wish to put up pictures of your instructor or master, hang them to the left or right of the kami-dana and not on the shelf itself. This way there is no mixing of the spiritual with the mundane..."

I hope this helps. Yet this seems different from what I found according to Manaka's website. Now I'm
Take care and Happy Training.

Posted on: 2005/5/5 22:44
bmsdojo@yahoo.com
Philadelphia, PA

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Today's Sponsor