Aomori-Ken 0 2018/6/19 10:27
hanzo-tou
Certificates 0 2018/5/8 4:34
schistkicker

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 5 6 7 (8)

Re: Worth Defending our Reputation???
Deleted_
DuncanM: "Musashi was famous for his challenges but even he would just target people he knew he could beat. I think this is the truth of budo."

Reminds me of what I just read in Way of the Ninja:

"In Budou, how you express yourself is of great importance. Skilled Budouka can see through an opponent just by looking at them, ... That is why, if you meet an opponent stronger than yourself, you must transmit non-verbally ... that "I cannot defeat you."

"Those who actually have fights and get killed are fools. Those who cannot say - as in the Samurai stories - "Sir, I percieve your ability to be quite outstanding" are not true martial artists." (pg. 47)

Posted on: 2005/5/30 6:59
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Kutaki Postmaster
From Kentucky USA
Group:
村民 :: Villager
Hi Joji, Hi Duncan,

Sorry, I only remember the story as Hatsumi Soke told it to me so I am not sure of all the details. The more I think about it it may be after Soke met Takamatsu Sensei. Not sure though.

I did find this on the net though;

at http://geocities.com/bnyd/page8.html

"In the late 1960's. Takamatsu wrote several articles in newspapers (Possibly the Japan Times). All of these articles spoke of Ninjutsu, and the other martial arts. In one of his articles Takamatsu wrote that in true martial arts, when fighting, you must most of all be prepared to kill your attacker, or kill the person you are attacking. In response to this, a very high ranking Japanese Karate teacher went on Japanese Television, and said that Takamatsu had written was wrong, that those days were long gone, and did no longer exist, nor did they neither need to exist anymore, in this present age. He also stated that Takamatsu was an "Old has been", and was over 80 years old, and long past it. Takamatsu arranged a Television interview. He stated in this interview, that he was far from past it, and saw the Karate teachers comments as a challenge, which he wished to accept. He gave the Karate teacher three days to publicly retract his statement. If not, Takamatsu intended to fight him, and kill him, with his hands tied behind his back. Three days later the statement made by the Karate teacher was retracted."

So it looks like someone else has heard the same story I did about the three days and taking it back.

To me though it is not important. My point in all of this was that Takamatsu Soke did compete and he defended his honor and art.

I know people like to think times were different back then but in my opinion the times are not any different. Men are still men and the only way to know if you are any good is to put it all on the line and give it a go.

But please remember I do not think this is the only path, and I do not think one has to feel that competing is 100% realistic. But it is the only time one has a chance to test his skills without going to jail and breaking the Bujinkan code.

Best Regards,

Sean Askew

Posted on: 2005/5/30 7:57

Deleted_
Thanks!

Posted on: 2005/5/30 8:18

Villager
From Stockholm
Group:
I believe Jorge Luis Borges once said "One of the greatest tragedies of this century is that a man can live his entire life without ever knowing if he is a coward or not".

Posted on: 2005/5/30 9:28

Deleted_
I believe that these articles can be find in Tetsuzan,
in the last chapter.

more information about the book

Sincerely Yours,

Remy

Quote:

SeanAskew wrote:

In the late 1960's. Takamatsu wrote several articles in newspapers (Possibly the Japan Times)

Posted on: 2005/5/30 19:35

Cant Stay Offline
From Pennsylvania, USA
Group:
議長 :: Mod
師導士会 :: Shidoshikai
I remember Soke telling me the same story about 3-4 years ago and how the karate "master" did publically appologize. That said, why do we need to "beat our chests" and proclaim how good ("bad") we are??? When it is needed we should just do it and not talk about it. All the jawing about who is better is just BS anyway and no contest with rules however few will settle it. No experience in a "ring" will give a person the knowlege they seek which is that they could survive. It is only when you have been in the real situation where your actions over the next few seconds determine whether you live or die, that you will know if you are a surviver or just another dead victim. The subtlety in what we are taught in budo taijutsu, and the effective of movement as well as the ability to create as needed without thought do, in my opinion, give us the best chance of survival. Does that mean we should denigate other arts??? ABSOLUTE NOT!!! Courtesy IS a survival technique. Courtesy does not come from fear either, it comes from the calm good sense of a mature mind.
Ed Martin aka Papa-san

Posted on: 2005/5/30 21:44

Kutaki Postmaster
Group:
Quote:

Papa-san wrote:
I remember Soke telling me the same story about 3-4 years ago and how the karate "master" did publically appologize.

Hi Ed.

When you heard the story 3-4 years ago wasn't that with myself and Arnaud at soke's house? I'm pretty sure you were there too. We were looking through soke's scrap books and old photo album. Soke was going to give Arnaud a copy of the articles. I think you were given some little statues of the gods of luck at the time.

I interpreted at the time but I didn't know who Rikidozan was so I didn't translate that (Yaba told me afterwards when soke talked about it again at training). I really don't remember him saying that he appologised though .. just that he died a week later in a stabbing outside a club. He may have appologised prior to his death but I don't remember soke mentioning that.

Sorry if it seems I'm labouring this story. There are so many stories that go around the Bujinkan that aren't quite right and I think it is important to get it correct. If no-one else does I'll get a hold of the articles from the library next time I'm in Japan and ask soke about it again (if the right opportunity presents itself).

Posted on: 2005/5/30 23:54

Cant Stay Offline
From Pennsylvania, USA
Group:
議長 :: Mod
師導士会 :: Shidoshikai
I think you were Duncan but can't be certain. As I remember there were two stories, the one about the challenge to Dr. Hatsumi where the person died the next week and the other as we just talked about where the man quickly appologized to Takamatsu Sensei rather then face him. The trips to Japan kind of "run together" in my mind now but do remember you translating which I really appreciated.
Ed Martin aka Papa-san

Posted on: 2005/5/31 21:57

« 1 ... 5 6 7 (8)

[Advanced Search]

Today's Sponsor