Recent Topics

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Frustrations of Training Alone
Frequent Visitor
From Hong Kong
Group:
村民 :: Villager
Hi all. Some of you may remember me. I trained for a few years in Japan with Nagato Sensei. I moved to Hong Kong and have nowhere and nobody to train with. Eventually, I met up with a guy who did some stripped down form of Kung Fu...basically kick boxing. I feel as though my feeling is going as all we tend to do is kick and punch bags.

I know that I said I was training alone, but it feels like it even though I am training with another.

I have been told not to mix training, but I don't think that I am really mixing, just using one method of training to help with my own taijutsu, kicking and punching. He moves different that the guys in the bujinkan and hits harder. Maybe I can learn from this.

Posted on: 2005/6/6 23:27
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Frustrations of Training Alone
Active Kutakian
Group:
師導士会 :: Shidoshikai
Jamie-recommend many side trips back to Japan. Consider also linking up with a good Chinese Tai Chi stylist, Hsing-I stylist. Great for your taijutsu and sensitivity training. Just a thought but you might want talk to Nagato Sensei on your next trip back. Regards.

Posted on: 2005/6/7 1:24

Village Old Timer
From Matsudo City, Chiba, Japan
Group:
Hi Jamie,

Good seeing you at Spring taikai. Ditto what the Colonel said. Can you come back?

Posted on: 2005/6/7 16:12

Permanent Village Fixture
From Dallas, TX
Group:
Or maybe your friend would like to train your budo?

Posted on: 2005/6/7 16:16

Frequent Visitor
From Hong Kong
Group:
I asked him this, but he prefers to stick to his "Wujichuan" style of Kung-fu. Some of you may want to look at the website for this. A bit like Bujinkan and Jeet kun do in it's idea...I think. Well, I'll just leave him to it and see what happens. I did manage to meet up with a guy from Sydney who comes through this way once or twice a month.

Posted on: 2005/6/27 16:06

Villager
From Singapore
Group:
Hi
I can well understand your feelings... When I first moved to Singapore I went from being in an incredibly good dojo in London to having nothing... There was no one even remotely close to what I had been doing.

I spent some time doing Sanshin and Kihon on my own (no doubt adding to my bad habits) and went back to class when I went back to the UK for a holiday. But all I was really doing was treading water.

There are two bits of advice I can give you (neither of which may be of much comfort, but they did work for me):
1. Hang in there - I can't remember which book it is in but Soke says somewhere that the spirit of Nin is endurance and I really found that it worked out in the end (see below).
2. Find someone, anyone who is interested in the Bujinkan (or anything like it) and offer to teach them what you know. This may not seem like much, but it was the beginning of my training again. I found a friend, some space and we spent one or two evenings each week throwing each other around. Then someone else came along and slowly things grew. Now I have three or four regulars and I train regularly...

I would suggest that you put something up online (this is a good start) and see what comes along. There must be people in HK who would be interested in seeing what the Bujinkan has to offer...

Teaching alone is not a great way to learn (I have to remind myself that I am only the best because I am the only one around - trips to Japan and the UK tend to be very humbling ), but it does at least give you something and it also forces you to think about things a bit.

I really hope that this helps. I have been there and it took a while to get things moving, but hanging on and repeatedly trying to get things moving worked for me...

Yours
Justyn

Posted on: 2005/6/27 21:11

Deleted_
I have been told not to mix training, but I don't think that I am really mixing, just using one method of training to help with my own taijutsu, kicking and punching. He moves different that the guys in the bujinkan and hits harder. Maybe I can learn from this.

I hate to post but I could not keep my mouth close. Whoever told you not to mix training ........... How are yougoing to know what other do, or how what u know works against different styles??????? I think we SHOULD mix, take what we like and throw in the garbage what we don't. If thre is no people to train Bujinkan, train something else and adapt........ just train

Mutabaruka Culembo

Posted on: 2005/6/28 4:03

Kutaki Postmaster
From Los Angeles
Group:
Quote:

I hate to post but I could not keep my mouth close. Whoever told you not to mix training ........... How are yougoing to know what other do, or how what u know works against different styles??????? I think we SHOULD mix, take what we like and throw in the garbage what we don't. If thre is no people to train Bujinkan, train something else and adapt........ just train

Mutabaruka Culembo

I disagree whole heartedly. In the begining you should not mix up your training with other styles or you will get "mixed up". Learning our arts takes time to engrain our type of movement into our bodies.

My advice: Work on your basics-Kamae, ukemi, punching, kicking, shuto, sanshin, kihon happo, kata, etc. If you have experience add some weapons work. Build a strong foundation in our art and when the time is right (and you'll know when) you can and should train with other martial artists to study their strategies. But this won't be for a while.

Concentrate on your training. Other arts will teach you their "taijutsu" not the taijutsu which Hatsumi Sensei is showing.

Posted on: 2005/6/29 5:08

Frequent Visitor
From Hong Kong
Group:
Well, I eventually found a Hsing I instructor. He's miles away, but I'll visit him and see if it's worth it. I also found a few people to train with. We trade...I hold the bags that beat the crap out of and they train my stuff. It's not the best, but it helps.

I also took up Capoeira a while ago. It's good fun, has an interesting history and cool music. It also has some quite interesting taijutsu, especially if it is Capoeira Angola.

Cheers to all who gave me some advice...see you all in Japan next time I visit, if you're there.

Jamie

Posted on: 2005/8/29 3:20

Just Passing Through
From Fredericksburg, VA & Quantico
Group:
Grab Bruce Lee's training diary (Jeet Kun Do) and show him near the end that Bruce states that after all of his training in various styles, he reaches the conclusion that the best style is to have no style. Then introduce him to Bujinkan.

Muuaaahahahahahaaaa
KermitJr

Posted on: 2006/8/18 22:35

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Today's Sponsor