Frequent Visitor
From BFWT
Group:
村民 :: Villager
Quote:

JeffMueller wrote:
Quote:

KD wrote:

Or be lucky enough to live only a few hours away from someone who does.

- KD

Or just be misinformed enough to *think* you live close to someone who knows.

Seriously though, unless you are in Japan or France you are pretty out of luck for solid answers. Nebulous ones? Sure... Exactness? No way...

Not to be rude, but I wouldn't be so sure on that. There are a few people scattered around the U.S and Europe (and even France ). The point is you have to be willing to go out of your way to find them.

- KD

Posted on: 2005/7/1 0:09
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: The Nine Ryu-ha of the Bujinkan
Cant Stay Offline
From Hamina, Finland
Group:
議長 :: Mod
師導士会 :: Shidoshikai
Quote:
BrittenJ wrote:
While under my old teacher I had assumed that each school was essentially the same, and just carried its own little niche or specialty. However, under my new instructor, we have paid greater detail to the difference in movement and or the philosophies (If you call it that, a better word might be motivation.) behind the movements of the different schools.

HEHEH I remember those same sentiments from way back late 80's. Then it was Togakure-ryû that was mostly talked about, yet other schools were listed in all the books Hatsumi-sôke had written. I recall thinking "well, it's just the Ninjaway of doing those fighting ways..."

Posted on: 2005/7/1 0:25
(Bujinkan Budōka since 1985)

Deleted_
Quote:

KD wrote:

Not to be rude, but I wouldn't be so sure on that. There are a few people scattered around the U.S and Europe (and even France ). The point is you have to be willing to go out of your way to find them.

- KD

You are more than entitled to that opinion.

Posted on: 2005/7/1 1:23

Villager
From Maryland, USA
Group:
Hello all,

I just wrote this really long post(not on MS word first lol) and it just vanished. Really!!!

Anyway, I am Jordan's current teacher and I shared with him some of the things I have been told over the years about the ryu-ha. Not nearly everything ofcourse, but snipets of the yearly themes taught to us over the years, not too much more (kuden alert!!!) That was enough to spike his interests in what are the differences in ryu-ha for himself.

I suggested that he find Paul Richardson's book for a start and then to come here to get some insight from more "qualified" teachers. I do not think he asked too much of anyone, he had a great teacher before me just a different teaching style (I hope for mysake, lol). Thank you for the the replies that have been made already, very close to what I think I told him and ofcourse there are contradicting interpretations of this all around.

We have asked the Shihan and Sensei over the years and I would hope that if it's not too sensitive, we can share it by PM, letter, etc. Wow I just had an idea !!?!!, maybe even here on this site though there is nothing shocking about that I guess ........

I do not intend on offending anyone, but if you are offended think about the basic reasoning of why Jordan came to this site. Not for kicks, or gossip I hope, for insight into Sensei's art from the top and all around. Atleast that is why I thought we are here. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy this site very much. I support the Bujinkan in fees, as a student and as a teacher. I have the utmost respect for ranks higher than mine and other dojo out there. With the upbringing that some of us had in the 80's, we could hopefully "unmask" the somewhat simple answers instead of shooting down others that do like to share. If I misunderstood anyones posts in this topic, I guess I missed the boat, lol. Though this reply could definately reach into several other topics.

Posted on: 2005/7/1 3:27

For every one hundred shots, one hundred hits!

Proverb for wishing one ultimate success.

Lee Relf

Frequent Visitor
From BFWT
Group:
Quote:

JeffMueller wrote:
Quote:

KD wrote:

- KD

You are more than entitled to that opinion.

Thanks! And you're entitled to your opinion as well.

- KD

Posted on: 2005/7/1 5:25

Cant Stay Offline
From Hamina, Finland
Group:
Gentlemen!!!

May I suggest re-reading each others messages, respectively. Somehow I feel we might be heading for a case of misreading and hoping for no escalation...

Or is it just my weary eyes

Posted on: 2005/7/1 5:56
(Bujinkan Budōka since 1985)

Kutaki Postmaster
From Sydney, Australia
Group:
And may i suggest that we stick to answering the poor kids question who originally started this thread, and stop the "attacking" & "snipeing" of each other.

Posted on: 2005/7/1 10:00

Cant Stay Offline
From Pennsylvania, USA
Group:
KD, it is a courtesy for you to sign your full name to all your posts. Even if it is in your profile, it still is an appreciated courtesy.
Ed Martin aka Papa-san

Posted on: 2005/7/1 11:18

Deleted_
Quote:

BrittenJ wrote:
However, under my new instructor, we have paid greater detail to the difference in movement and or the philosophies (If you call it that, a better word might be motivation.) behind the movements of the different schools.
Jordan Britten

Jordan -

It is my understanding that the schools are SIGNIFICANTLY different by themselves. The VAST majority of what is taught is still just Bujinkan-Den or Hatsumi-den -- which is what is misleading to most. In order to get the full picture of our 9 arts - you have to read between the lines (or speak to the guys who *know*). To really get into the details - kuden probably isn't going to cut it.

To be honest, however, Hatsumi Sensei's teaching paradigm isn't set well to isolate ryuha. As far as I know - he hasn't really passed on the schools in typical Kouryu fashion -- so the information may be lost (on purpose???).

Anyway - good luck... hope this helps.

-Daniel Weidman
Bujinkan TenChiJin Guy...

Posted on: 2005/7/1 18:27

Villager
From Maryland, USA
Group:
Thank you very much for that reply Mr. Weidman.

I feel that was very important what you said about not isolating them. I think that the yearly themes have helped me to solidify kihon showing me variations or essence of different ryu. This inquiry of his came about I think from him showing me versions of kihon he knew and I recognized he had a really interesting mix, if you would like to say, with some very big characteristics of the yearly themes. I don't want to speak on his behalf. so I'll shut up, lol.

Thanks again.

Posted on: 2005/7/1 20:24

For every one hundred shots, one hundred hits!

Proverb for wishing one ultimate success.

Lee Relf

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

[Advanced Search]

Today's Sponsor