« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 ... 12 »

Re: Godan Test
村長 :: Sonchou
From Chiba, Japan
Group:
村長 :: Admin
村民 :: Villager
Hi Ed,

I don't mean to be critical, but I was a bit surprised by this post...

Quote:

In response to what I have read here I would like to submit something that is food for thought.

Although I have never taken the Godan test myself, from what I know of the Godan test and everything I have read here and elsewhere I submit:

The Godan test is something that should be taken along with certain essential Buddist teachings.

I don't really understand how one could (or why one would attempt to) describe the Godan test if they had never taken it. The test is different for everyone. How can someone say that it should be taken this way or that way - even someone who has taken it already, let alone someone who hasn't.

Quote:

In trying to analyze something so spiritual as the Godan test we clutter our minds with something that isn't there anymore.

I believe that we clutter our minds not only by analyzing it, but also by spiritualizing it.

Quote:

My point is that if you don't understand the Godan test or what happened then perhaps you are trying too hard to understand it. Let it go (go to zero). Later on it will come back to you as you are ready for it's answer and one day you might have a full understanding of what happened or even a full recollection of the event.

My response to that would be: If you haven't taken the Godan test, then you can't understand or even describe it. Let it go. Later on after you have taken it you might have a full understanding of what happened - or you might not.

Quote:

We as humans are always so arrogant to believe that we are so smart to be able to understand all things immediately with no further exaplanation.

We also have a tendency to think that we can understand or describe things without experiencing them ourselves.

Quote:

I don't bring this up for any other reason than to test my own understanding of the Buddist philosophy.

I'm not trying to be a meanie here, (maybe I'm doing it without trying? If so, sorry!!) but how does your post test your own understanding of Buddhist philosophy?

Quote:

I recently began my studies of the Buddist philosophy and they have exposed some answers that I have sought for many years. I just happened to see the correalation here to one speck of the philosophy.

Do you think that perhaps your enthusiasm and dedication regarding your Buddhist studies have maybe coloured your view of the Godan test? (even just a teenie weenie bit?) What makes the Godan test Buddhist in nature? I think it would be interesting to post a comparative list of the things that make it Buddhist alongside the things that make it Christian and Jewish and Islamic and Shinto and Hindu. I say this because of my opinion that it is something which extends to the level of basic human instinct and therefore goes beyond any kind of religion or philosophy.

I think there are basically only a couple of things that we can say with regard to the *nature* of the Godan test:

1) It is experiential in nature. One can't describe it unless one has experienced it.
2) It is subjective in nature. Everyone's experience of it is different. (Ok, so maybe it is Buddhist - for you. )

Anyone else have anything for the list?

Quote:

Thanks for letting me speak.

Ed Green

Likewise, Ed.
Best wishes for your studies.

Shawn

Posted on: 2005/9/20 12:44
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Village Old Timer
From Dayton, Ohio
Group:
I have to admit that before I took the Godan test, I had a very definite thought of what I thought it was like. I had seen a lot of them. Some were "passed well" and others not so well (I thought). From talking to people, and observing the tests I thought there was a palpable feeling involved.

On my first test, I awaited the feeling. It came in the form of a very hard wack by Soke. I have been hit many times in the head with a shinai, this really hurt! I was later given an opportunity later to have Nagato Sensei wack at me and that time I just waited. For me there was no feeling. Once I really relaxed I was unaware of any feeling - and just rolled. I passed.

This may be different for everyone, but you really won't know until you have done it. Some of Eds comments are certainly true for people taking the test, but they may not make any difference. The best advice that I have heard is to truely empty your mind. This was hard to do.

Marty

Posted on: 2005/9/20 15:02

Permanent Village Fixture
Group:
Gaijin (Inactive)
Marty -

I appreciate your honest reply to this thread. *My* test is well documented since it seems to be the only year Soke included people getting *hit* in the Quest tape. No lying years later in *my* case!

I had a hard time with the test. I honestly rolled when I felt I should but was early many times. While I received a compliment on my ukemi from Soke (which remains a treasure for me) my test was far from what most would consider a "good test". In fact among all those who were tested during those three days there was one single guy who really struck me as having had a really good test.

This kid waited without moving an inch while Soke just unexpectadly broke into a lecture on something (I don't recall what) and just went on and on. I watched him not move, a calm sort of smile on his face, then without warning Soke raised the shinai and waited, and THEN cut down and the kid just rolled right out of the way. It was perfect. It was the only test I saw during that DKMS which I felt was really a great test.

This year I was able to learn more about the Sakki test from Harada sensei, and had an experience that was much more - uh - "satisfying" then my own test so I feel complete now.

But yeah, the Godan test is the ultimate "your milage may vary" sort of experience.

Posted on: 2005/9/20 15:49

Villager
Group:
師導士会 :: Shidoshikai
Hi,

I'm with Shawn on this one. When it comes to the godan test, to much thinking (analyzing and spiritualizing) will most probably be more of a hinder than a help.

I use to tell those in the dojo where I train that there are just a simple set of rules for godan.

If you don't have yondan....don't worry, be happy
Concentrate on training in Taijutsu, specially in Kihon Happo.

If you have Yondan...don't worry, be happy....the worst that can happen is that you are smacked in the head...or that you pass it
Concentrate on training in Taijutsu, specially in Kihon Happo.

If you have passed it...you'll soon discover that you have not become superman, and you can't fly.
Concentrate on training in Taijutsu, specially in Kihon Happo...and new doors will begin to open...but what doors...very hard to describe feeling with words...simplest way I can do it is that new layers are revealed within the simplest technique...like kihon happo. But it's no use trying to find them, they will reveal themselves more and more through more and more training

A very good friend of mine stated after he had passed his godan test that "I don't know more, but I've experienced more". That one says most of it, without analyzing or spiritualizing it into pieces....

Best regards

Peter Carlsson
Malmö Taijutsuklubb - Bujinkan Dojo
Sweden

Posted on: 2005/9/20 16:27

Deleted_
I like the way you put that Shawn.
Wouldn't it be interesting if Soke, giving the test at the time, used a BIG wooden cross. Then, at the same time, wearing some buddist monk outfit, with a birthday hat on?.....Na, that might be kinda scary. More people might fail from fear.

Posted on: 2005/9/21 10:02

Deleted_
Quote:

budoweapon wrote:
Although I have never taken the Godan test myself, from what I know of the Godan test and everything I have read here and elsewhere I submit:

...Thanks for letting me speak.

Ed Green

Hey Ed -

I, like Shawn, have no idea why you would add to a thread on the Godan test with a statement like, "The Godan test is something that should be taken..." - when you haven't experienced it.

Virtually ***everything*** you wrote has nothing to do with my Godan test (or the godan test in general).

I am happy for your new found Buddist fervor... There is a time and a place for it - and this thread is a poor excuse to start preaching about Buddist philosophy. Do you understand that there are over 1000 people who have taken the test - and that most of the "non-buddist" group (which may be the majority) probably resent you adding your spirituality to an event you haven't even experienced?

Anyway - take your own advice and empty your cup. You stated it best with "We as humans are always so arrogant to believe that we are so smart to be able to understand all things (even tests that we haven't taken) immediately with no further explanation".

-Daniel Weidman
Bujinkan TenChiJin Guy...

Posted on: 2005/9/21 10:32

Deleted_
I remember watching this taped show that a close friend of mine recorded. If I'm not mistaken, the show is/or was quite popular in Japan. Anyways, to get to the point, Soke was demostrating techniques for these three people who were interviewing about the Bujinkan. At the end of the show, i'm not sure if they asked Soke or if he offered, but it turned out that he allowed them to try the test. Amaizingly, this girl, who never trained at all passed, as well as one of the other guys there with hr. But as for the other guy, as you probably can guess, he got smaked right up side the head. I dont mean to judge anyone on why they could or couldn't pass the test. But I guess it was kinda clear on who was going to pass or not from the begining by their attitudes, whether that's a protective amulet or not; in life or during the test, I'm not sure.

Posted on: 2005/9/23 11:45

Kutaki Postmaster
Group:
Both of the guys got hit, only the girl passed.

I watched the video at soke's house and he said he thought it would be funnier that way. He then added that people that think they pass the test themselves are idiots. HE decides who passes or fails.

He then said that when he passed his test (the juji-giri) with Takamatsu-sensei at first he thought he must be that good. Then he realised that it wasn't he who had passed but Takamatsu-sensei had pushed him out the way.

Anyway, I think that the TV show offered proof that it is really the person administering the test that determines (decides) on it's result.

Posted on: 2005/9/23 12:02

Deleted_
I don't disagree with you. I also believe that he decides who passes or fails; however, he does tell people taking the test to "let go" or "relax". So in a way, I think there is a certain portion on the recieving end of "getting out of the way", and it also has to do with having the proper heart. Because if he doesn't think your suitable, there is a possibility you won't pass, whether that's his choice or of some higher power, I don't know, maybe i'm wrong. I never gave the test, so I wouldn't know. All I can do is learn as I go along.

Posted on: 2005/9/23 22:12

Deleted_
Quote:

DuncanM wrote:
...He then added that people that think they pass the test themselves are idiots. HE decides who passes or fails.

Has anyone ever asked him why he has a test then? If what you wrote above is true - then the test is truely meaningless.

Curious as always -

-Daniel Weidman

Posted on: 2005/9/24 4:37

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 ... 12 »

Topic is Locked

[Advanced Search]

Today's Sponsor