Lost Password?

Register now!
Socialize

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 4 ... 10 »

RE: Close Combat
Deleted_
Hi,

Has anyone practiced or used close combat fighting (less than two feet) using Bujinkan technics? How are the long forms shortened? Any insight?

Thanks

Posted on: 2005/8/3 4:39
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Deleted_
Do you mean close combat as in the guy is attacking from 2 feet away or you only have 2 feet of space to move around in?

Posted on: 2005/8/3 5:07

Cant Stay Offline
From Hamina, Finland
Group:
村民 :: Villager
議長 :: Mod
師導士会 :: Shidoshikai
Not quite sure what you mena, but giving this a shot anyway...

Do you mean starting the training from one step distance rather than two step distance? Surely this is practised by most Dôjôs at one time or another. IIRC Shindenfudô-ryû is more along these lines, as well as (Hontai) Takagiyôshin-ryû.

Though, the Waza all end in "close combat" so...

Posted on: 2005/8/3 5:08
(Bujinkan Budōka since 1985)

Deleted_
Hi,

I mean fighting an opponent that is standing in front of me at less than a 2 feet distance and fighting within that space (not using backward long stances).

How are the waza in their long stance forms applied in a short distance situation?

Regards

Posted on: 2005/8/3 5:50

Deleted_
This is exactly where I would prefer to be. Most fights take place at somewhere around this distance or even closer. I recommend practicing kihon like this sometimes. You don’t have to shorten your kamae or form or anything. Just move in the space that the other guy isn’t in. Move right through him.

Posted on: 2005/8/3 6:04

Deleted_
Hi,

From what I have seen, most styles of Karate will destroy you at that distance before you can put a gyaku... you have to be able to use your hands and feet extremenly well in order to block, hit, etc.. before you can actually put a lock or gyaku on. Don't you think?

So, what is our "kick-boxing" like?

Regards

Posted on: 2005/8/3 7:06

Villager
From Stockholm
Group:
Kickboxing is based on a give-and-take premise. This is not what you want at all.

Tobias

Posted on: 2005/8/3 7:08

Deleted_
Hi,

I understand that you do not want to play "give and take", but the opponent is giving a lot in a short moment, so you might have to take some...

it might last just a few seconds, but in the real world there is a give and take dynamic before grapling take place...

how do we deal with this?

Posted on: 2005/8/3 7:30

Villager
From Stockholm
Group:
What I'm saying is that you cannot engage in a long, drawn out "contest" with someone in which the winner will be the one with most strength and endurance. That is a very good way to a) get beaten by someone more powerful and b)be an active, willing participant of a fight, which means you were half the reason the situation escalated.

As for quick flurries of punches, well... he needs a certain distance to pull them off. You can be inside that distance, or outside.

Tobias

Posted on: 2005/8/3 7:34

Deleted_
Most of the techniques we have are not ones which require us to fade back... only ichimonji no kamae, and even then, only the textbook version. Someone mentioned Shinden Fudo ryu above, and this is a good example... at least the dakentaijutsu.

Here's something to practice at the dojo -- get in close with a buddy, and start fighting from that range. Learn what works and what doesn't. You'll find close in you can't use full-range punches and kicks, and you may not have room for a takedown or throw to get on the ground. So start with knees, elbows, jabs, and chokes from that close range. Use jabs to enter into the fight and throw them off. If they won't present an opening, make one. Once you close the 2' gap, then use knees and elbows to strike. Use a free hand to hold them close so they can't back away. At this range, you shouldn't be thinking about defending yourself... attack, attack, attack. If they throw something back at you, don't attempt to evade it. Jam it. You should be close enough to feel their body movement. If they raise a knee, stomp on their shins. If they raise an arm, elbow them.

Once you've beaten them enough, then do a takedown or a throw. Then finish it off however you like.

Always remember that close in you need to be more aware and faster than your opponent. It's mostly speed, not strength or power, at that range, and having a better understanding of body motion is going to carry you through.

Posted on: 2005/8/3 7:36

(1) 2 3 4 ... 10 »

[Advanced Search]

Today's Sponsor