Socialize

Recent Topics

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Must see's around Tokyo
Frequent Visitor
Group:
村民 :: Villager
Although I do not remember where it was off the top of my head (I'll have to check), somewhere in Tokyo is the gravesite of THE Hattori Hanzo.

Posted on: 2005/8/31 10:20
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Villager
From Chiba, Japan
Group:
議長 :: Mod
The Tsukiji Fish Market is really cool, you have to get there pretty early and it is closed on Sundays, but you could get a nice sushi breakfast. From Tsukiji you can take a boat to Asakusa. There is a "waterbus" that some friends told me about and said it was really cool. Asakusa and the temple and market there is really cool. Ueno's Ameyoko market street is really interesting and there are some cool museums in a nice park next to that. There is also the zoo there. The Garden's at the Emperial Palace are supposed to be nice, but I haven't been yet. And if I think of anything else I will post it. Shibuya and Shinjuku are pretty cool to see too.
Shicomm wrote that you should visit Nikko. I agree, Nikko is really nice (supposedly the most beautiful place in Japan). If your nephew is young, you might consider taking to Nikko Edomura. It is near the shrines, so you could visit them both in the same day. It is a recreated Edo-style village where people dress up in period costumes. There is a Ninja show that is kind of funny, but all in Japanese. It is kind of cheesy, but kids love it. I thought it was fascinating too.
diamondjoe also knows about a great deal on a day trip from Tokyo to Fujikyu Highlands, an amusement park on Mount Fuji. It would take an entire day, but it is a lot of fun.
On Sundays you can scope out the cosplayers in Harajuku. They are the young people that dress up in strange outfits and you can take pictures of them. They love it.
If you are around for it, there are 2 or 3 grand Sumo Tournaments held in Ryogoku. The next one is from September 11 to September 25. You can buy tickets at almost any convenience store. There is also one in may. You can go to the sumo homepage and find out. Just put sumo into google and it will be one of the first few hits. Tickets for General Admission are 3600 yen (around 36 bucks) and that is good for all day. The daily fights start at 10 or 10:30 in the morning and go all the way to about 6. The big guys start rolling out around 2 and the best fights are later. At 12 and 2 you can eat a bowl of chanko nabe (the stew that sumo wrestlers eat) in the training area for only 250 yen, but the line gets long so you should probably stand in line 20 minutes before it opens. Also, you can take your own food and drink inside, even alcohol, but the prices inside are pretty good, so are the souvenir prices.

Posted on: 2005/8/31 11:48

Permanent Village Fixture
From Antelope, Ca.
Group:
From Tokyo to Nikko is how long?
And also to Fujikyu Highlands is how far?
That is the kind of stuff I am looking for!\
Any one else with their favorite places to visit?
Barry

Posted on: 2005/9/1 9:00
Nourished by the earth, I cultivate it.
Can you grapple with the fire?
Warmed by the fire I feed it.

Group:
Gaijin (Inactive)
And do you know who lives in and has his dojo in Kamakura (mentioned as a place to see)? You *should* Barry...

Posted on: 2005/9/1 9:05

Deleted_
Excuse me, but we don't like to input information about individual dojo in Japan on the Internet without the dojocho's permission. You can PM me if you want to know who you should contact.

Posted on: 2005/9/1 9:11

From Antelope, Ca.
Group:
M.H.?? (not Soke).
Barry

Posted on: 2005/9/1 9:11

From Antelope, Ca.
Group:
Wow, George-san you are fast! Greg please pm. me on that one.
Thanks
Barry

Posted on: 2005/9/1 9:13

Villager
From Chiba, Japan
Group:
議長 :: Mod
Hyperdia Route Finder is a website that allows you to plug in a starting station and an ending station, day, desired arriving time or departing time, etc, and will give you all the information you need to know, including prices. I plugged in Asakusa station to Nikko and it will take 125 minutes and cost ¥1320 and all you have to do is hop on the Tobu Nikko line. I think you have to sit in the first or second car because at one point on the line the first two cars go to Nikko while the others unlatch and go somewhere else. I thought this was strange the first time I went by train. You may be able to take a bus, but I don't have any information on that but may be able to find it for you if you want.
For Fujikyu Highlands, we took the 8:50am bus from Shinjuku Station and we arrived 2 hours later. Then we took the 5:35 pm bus back and arrived around 7:30. The weather was really nice in the mountains, if you go in October, I hear the lines aren't as long and you might consider bringing a jacket. Fujikyu is really fun. If you have any more questions, let me know.

Posted on: 2005/9/1 11:09

From Antelope, Ca.
Group:
Has anyone been to Disney land/sea in Tokyo?
Barry

Posted on: 2005/9/2 0:41

From Antelope, Ca.
Group:
Has anyone been to Disney land/sea in Tokyo?
Barry

Posted on: 2005/9/3 2:48

« 1 (2) 3 »

[Advanced Search]

Today's Sponsor