(1) 2 »

Worldwide Bujinkan Map
Villager
From Dingle, Co Kerry
Group:
村民 :: Villager
I recently came across this fantastic free service

http://www.frappr.com/

I was wondering what the opinions of net-savvy Bujinkan members are on this for having a readily available map of Bujinkan Dojo's across the world. I can't imagine there'd be many issues with it, but perhaps here would be a good place for folks to share ideas and let a mod or administrator here, initailise and administrate it.

So we could have Shidoshi's showing the location of their dojo, a link to their website and a photo of the building?

Posted on: 2005/11/3 23:21

Re: Worldwide Bujinkan Map
Active Kutakian
From adelaide
Group:
good idea, but i have been on that webchat site and you cant view the whole worldmap at once.
ontop of that i dont think you would be able too get every one in the bujinkan on chat at the same time for a screen shot :P.
ps: if you can manage too best my doubts you are a bigger ninja than me

Posted on: 2005/11/4 1:36
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Villager
From Dingle, Co Kerry
Group:
Well here's my first attempt. I'm admin of this group so if anyone has any ideas/issues etc please let me know here or by PM. Anyone can add to the map but I think as admin only I can edit/remove. I'd be happy to pass on admin responsibility to the chaps at Kutaki if required.

Bujinkan Dojo International Map

Posted on: 2005/11/4 2:10

Kutaki Postmaster
From Chicago, IL
Group:
I was going to use it for Bujinmag.com but you cant control who posts until after they add their link or images.........so anybody could put stuff there.

Markk Bush

Posted on: 2005/11/4 2:29

Villager
From Dingle, Co Kerry
Group:
It's cool to see it filling up slowly.

This map is open to abuse of course but at the moment I do have the power to edit any entries so let's hope it remains "clean". I think it would be a good idea to ask your shidoshi if you can make an entry so we can avoid multiple entries and leave less admin to me.

Also, it doesn't go down to street level so for more than 1 dojo per city, your little marker may appear way off base. I'm sure this will be rectified over time.

Someone noted that Israel wasn't on the map....it is if you drill down.. it's not that BIG :)

Posted on: 2005/11/4 19:10

Kutaki Postmaster
From Chicago, IL
Group:
If you zoom in it goes street level, also you can switxh to satellite mode.

You can click anywhere on the map and drag it around to see other areas.

Markk Bush

Posted on: 2005/11/4 23:41

Villager
From Dingle, Co Kerry
Group:
Yep.. it does drill town to street level but doesn't allow entries to this level. For example there are 4 entries in Dublin, Ireland and they don't reflect where the dojo actually are. I placed a note on the main page to warn of this. I'm sure the technology will allow this in the future. So that's why its important that people put their website address or even postal address with their entry. It's looking good though with no comedians so far. I have't mentioned it on other boards and don't intend to so as to ensure quality

Posted on: 2005/11/5 0:18

Villager
Group:
This is a great idea with alot of potential. If you are going to manage it then you need to make sure you have the time resources needed to handle change requests in a timely manner. If you can't handle routine requests now, how will you handle it if and when the system starts to be abused? This is especially important since users are unable to modify their own entries. If its too much for you, then maybe you need to recruit some co-admins or hand the reins over to someone else.

Posted on: 2005/11/9 1:25

David Gadoury

Bujinkan Kokun Dojo
Bujinkan Tohoku Dojo

Villager
From Dingle, Co Kerry
Group:
Cheers David.. I've done all I can in terms of monitoring this and gave my Shidoshi the admin password too.

Should things get hectic, well, I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. All entry fixes (3) in my inbox have been sorted. Hopefully this will grow even more.

Posted on: 2005/11/9 2:07

Villager
Group:
Quote:

g'inger wrote:
Cheers David.. I've done all I can in terms of monitoring this and gave my Shidoshi the admin password too.

Should things get hectic, well, I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. All entry fixes (3) in my inbox have been sorted. Hopefully this will grow even more.

Cool. Maybe in the map intro, you can include a support email address to that people can easily notify you (and your shidoshi) if there are any issues that need to be addressed.

Keep up the good work

Posted on: 2005/11/9 5:55

David Gadoury

Bujinkan Kokun Dojo
Bujinkan Tohoku Dojo

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Today's Sponsor