Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 ... 11 »

Re: Carrying Knives
Active Kutakian
From Boynton Beach, Florida
Group:
村民 :: Villager
Good point Kage!

One thing to remember is that in a knife fight, you are going to get cut. It happens, its just a matter of minimizing the damage so you can react without bleeding to death...LOL.

As for the "all the good knife fighters are in jail point", I've come across some pretty bad a** knife fighters in the Kuntao Silat area. There are some good fighters out there, but they are smart enough not to use their knives unless their life is in danger....

Unless the quote meant that the guys doing hard time are great knife fighters, I would have to agree with that, in many ways they are still living in feudal japan....

Just my thoughts, nothing more nothing less

Posted on: 2005/12/23 2:28

"Good, now this time do it with taijutsu"
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Kutaki Postmaster
From Chicago, IL
Group:
I remember Charles Daniel saying to cover your hands in motor oil and then practice knife defense......sweat, blood (yours, the other guys.....or the blood of someone who has been "removed" from the fight) can change a lot of the popular disarms.......humbling.

Markk Bush

Posted on: 2005/12/23 4:38

Permanent Village Fixture
From Seattle
Group:
Quote:

jackal wrote:

One thing to remember is that in a knife fight, you are going to get cut. It happens, its just a matter of minimizing the damage so you can react without bleeding to death...LOL.

Sorry to be picky, but I dont think this logic is the best. Assuming you will be cut in a knife confrontation is like assuming you will be shot in a gun confrontation. Although I know this phrase is very popular in many circles, I believe you are setting yourself up for defeat here.
You should be aware that there is a good possibility of being cut, but that does not mean its an absolute.

Imagine saying to a soldier...when you go out on patrol today, you will get your legs blown off by a roadside bomb.
It happens, its just a matter of minimizing the damage so you can react without bleeding to death...LOL.

That would probably lower ones confidence a bit. It could also create hesitation when decisive action is necessary.

And for those against carrying a knife for self protection...why? If lives are at stake (lethal intent) I will personally always choose a knife over hand to hand combat, especially vs multiple opponents. I am looking to succeed.

The same case some are making against carrying knives can also be said about carrying guns. If you are trapped and someone has a gun, and has made it clear they want to kill you..dont you think it would be best if you also had a gun?
Oops...sorry about opening that can of worms.

Of course each situation will be different, and pulling a knife will not be appropriate for every situation.
Which means its probably a good idea to know in your mind before hand under what circumstances you will brandish the blade, and be prepared to kill if you must. And as others have said, make sure you are aware of the laws that apply in your area.

Kind of harsh, I know. Its just my opinion. I am not an expert knife fighter, and have no experience in knife fights.

Good conversation everyone.

Domonic Ceccarelli

Posted on: 2005/12/23 5:04

Active Kutakian
From Rome, GA
Group:
Quote:
remember Charles Daniel saying to cover your hands in motor oil and then practice knife defense......sweat, blood (yours, the other guys.....or the blood of someone who has been "removed" from the fight) can change a lot of the popular disarms.......humbling.

very true. as for those of you who don't think you will get cut if you are in a knife fight-you're crazy-no matter how hard you train you simply don't know the opponent.
it is always better to be prepared for the worst(getting cut)so mentaly and physicaly you keep going. it dosen't shock you and make you stop and redirect attention. knives are very tricky weapons.

Posted on: 2005/12/23 8:35

Deleted_
I really don't think you can mentally prepare for being cut by a knife by 'accepting' that you'll be cut.

One, as Dom said it's defeatist. Two, I know people who've been in knife fights who didn't get cut, so it's also a fallacy. Three, actually being cut, hit, shot, etc. is far more shocking to most people than any hobby or even serious hobby martial art can prepare you for. Unless you're undergoing rigorous physical and mental training under serious duress, you won't be 'mentally prepared' to be cut in a fight, IMO.

Posted on: 2005/12/23 9:31

Kutaki Postmaster
Group:
hello, just a word about knife fighting... DON'T!! it's a bad situation anyway you look at it, because despite the naysayers, you will be cut. By your own knife, by your opponents, who knows, but if you are facing an opponent who knows what they are doing you will be cut. Someone coming at you with a knife held in the classic over the head "horror movie" slash, most anyone one can handle... but someone who comes at you in a crouch with elbows held in close and their hands held forward is someone to worry about. Oh and if you don't believe me about getting cut, take a couple of magic markers and go at it with a buddy, full speed and with deadly intent, you will walk away with lots of little lines all over you...
as always just my opinion and most likely completely wrong!

Posted on: 2005/12/23 10:12

Alan McPherson

Deleted_
Then explain to me how I know people who've been in knife fights (unarmed vs knife) and not been cut.

Odds are you will be injured, sure. But not *absolutely*. that goes for ANY fight. Plus there's a good chance if you are cut you won't know it right away, or perhaps for several seconds or minutes. Stress does strange things to perception and physiology.

Posted on: 2005/12/23 11:04

Active Kutakian
From Boynton Beach, Florida
Group:
Tenchijin, I'd love to hear the story of the people you know that where in a knife fight, it would be interesting in hearing how they defended themselves. (I'm serious about hearing the stories, if its cool with you).

Unfortunately I have been in several knife fights( I work as a bouncer/executive protection), I've been lucky in all honesty. They have been times when I have been cut and times when I haven't. Most importantly I always expect to get cut so if it happens it doesn't freak me out.

I'm no knife expert. I just speak from the experiences I have gone through. Just remember, these are just opinions on my behalf....

By the way....Happy Holidays to all!!!

Posted on: 2005/12/23 12:46

"Good, now this time do it with taijutsu"

Permanent Village Fixture
From Seattle
Group:
Quote:

h20oni wrote:
hello, just a word about knife fighting... DON'T!! it's a bad situation anyway you look at it, because despite the naysayers, you will be cut.

Of course a knife fight is the last place any sane person would like to be, and there is a HUGE risk when taking on someone with a knife. I believe that it's assumed that this scenario is the absolute last resort.

There is a very good chance you will be cut, but it has been proven that it does not always happen. So what is the point of assuming your own defeat right from the start?

Is it different with a sword, or do you ALWAYS expect to be cut by a sword too ? Its essentially just a really big knife right ? What about a short sword? At what length does it become an absolute that you WILL be cut?

again, I am not a combat expert

Domonic Ceccarelli

Posted on: 2005/12/23 13:01

Deleted_
Hi Henry,

I haven't had that conversation with these guys in close to 10 years. I don't remember what they said they did. Next time I see them, I'll try to remember to ask.

Best,

Posted on: 2005/12/23 14:11

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 ... 11 »

[Advanced Search]

Today's Sponsor