Dpinga

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 4 »

List of Gyokko Ryu Waza
Frequent Visitor
From California
Group:
村民 :: Villager
Hello Fellow Ninja, I was wondering if anyone out there had a list of the three levels of waza from the Gyokko Ryu? Thanks for the help.

Posted on: 2005/12/21 11:41
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: List of Gyokko Ryu Waza
Deleted_
Ask your instructor.

Posted on: 2005/12/21 12:22

Frequent Visitor
From California
Group:
Mueller-San, is there a particular reason you don't feel that this information should be presented on this forum?

Posted on: 2005/12/21 14:35

Deleted_
Yes, several actually...

But the only one worth pointing out is that if you have an instructor he should be providing this information to you when you need it. If your instructor does not have this you should find a new instructor, if he does and has not provided it to you then you should not be going around him to get it, and finally if you have no instructor then you should seek one out instead of fishing for info on the web.

Posted on: 2005/12/21 15:57

Village Old Timer
From Dayton, Ohio
Group:
For a price, you can go to the Jininkan Hombu site and pay for your Kata. They are very exact. To find the real meaning and feeling of the Kata you have to train with a qualified instructor. If you have one of these, work for the information from them, you will get much more for your money!

Marty

Posted on: 2005/12/21 16:20

Frequent Visitor
From California
Group:
Thank you for the responses. I'm not really interested in any other *-kan other than the Bujinkan. I'll stick with Sensei's video and DVD thanks anyways.

Mueller-San, I actually wrote something really sarcastic but decided not to send it. I didn't know that it taboo to ask this question. Enjoy your forum.

Posted on: 2005/12/21 16:40

Kutaki Postmaster
Group:
" I'll stick with Sensei's video and DVD thanks anyways."

Mr Fogal,

Why dont you ask your shidoshi for a copy of the kata? He should be able to produce something?

Best Regards /

Richard M

Posted on: 2005/12/21 16:52

Just Passing Through
Group:
Should it be assumed that if a Shidoshi cannot name, or does not possess, an exact list of the Gyokko ryu kata then he or she is not a "qualified instructor"?
I can think of numerous quotes from Japanese Shihan that allude to the negative.

To the original poster, do a google search with the following terms: "Bud Malmstrom, Gyokko ryu, VCD". Also, use Google frequently when looking for information.

And then, after you've collected your kata, show me the "Raging Tiger" and "Crouching Tiger" form.

Posted on: 2005/12/21 18:11

Active Kutakian
From USA
Group:
Hi

some one comes on here and says give me the names and when some one actually says no ask your instructor and gives very good reasons, others just hand out locations to get the stuff.

If the person is too lazy to ask his instructor, or even better still get off there fat backsides and study the kata and write there own notes, they definately dont need to be spoon fed with web locations.

They managed to find this forum, dont encourage them to become any lazier than they are already.

I agree with Jeff 100% on this topic. No kata should be listed on the web and none should be passed about like candy to people who maybe are nothing more than 10th kyu.

Everyone wants the easy way. Tough in budo there is only one way - and thats get on the mat and off your keyboard. Train, write your own notes, thats the way it should be.

And as for this comment he made

Mueller-San, I actually wrote something really sarcastic but decided not to send it. I didn't know that it taboo to ask this question. Enjoy your forum.

The sheer ignorant arrogance of this person is beyond me. He shouldnt have been given any help by any one after this. Not because it was aimed at Jeff, but because it was aimed at a senior rank and he has shown a complete lack of respect for other forum members.

Manners are free

Posted on: 2005/12/21 23:08

Frequent Visitor
From California
Group:
My apologies to all. I had mistaken this forum as an information sharing site. I see how someone may have taken my question the wrong way. Perhaps, I asked for too much information.

The truth is I have loads of material from Sensei and many of the other long-time Shihan. However, while on a train ride back to my hotel at this last Daikomyosai, I was speaking with a JuGodan and he informed me that there may be inconsistancies in the material that is out there on the Gyokko Ryu. Therefore, after conferring with my instructor, another JuGodan, he asked me to get a final list of the names if I could to see what I could find. So that we could compare notes. Hence, my google search to find this forum. His line of work is such that he does not have as much time and access to a computer as I do and he lives about 500 miles away from me.

With all of the information that Sensei himself has opened up to the world via his books and videos the list of kata seemed like a very small item. If you think that you can hold that back you may have missed the boat by a few years. Again, this is my perception but the Gyokko Ryu video has been out for well over a decade I'm sure. I believe that Sensie has referred to his videos as modern scrolls. I can only assume that the data that he is not willing to have out in the open is what he will only teach orally to his personal students, of course.

I have shown some of my Bujinkan videos to freinds of other martial arts and they always completely miss the true techniqes. All they see is more Karate moves. Of course the real Budo has to be learned from a qualified instructor and even then you have to catch your lessons.

It's kinda like the Cold War and their efforts to keep info about nuclear weapons out of the hands of non-desirables, yet all you had to do was look into any encyclopedia to find it. But you still needed to skills to execute it.

If someone has bad intentions with that kind of info let them try it. It's just a matter of time before they fall on their face anyways. Their students will eventually figure them out.

As for my response to Mueller-San, I found myself writing back and starting yet another pointless bickering match so I decided not to, what would it gain any of us? He has a right to his opinion just as anyone else. I do happen to know of several Godans and even a Judan who do not possess a list of all the kata, or care to. I'm not interested in collecting them all anyways, I was simply helping my instructor with an errand. While at the '95 Tai Kai, Sensei commented on those trying to take notes while training and trying to write down sequences. He told us not to worry about the details and just get it later if you must.

Jones-San, I seem to have offended you as well and I apologize. Again, I didn't see the list as being such a big secret -anymore. Even if a 10th kyu is reaching for more info, why not give it to him? For one, it's already out there. Secondly, what harm could he do with it if he's only a 10th kyu? Many of my students immediately order some of Sensei's videos including the Gyokko Ryu video after catching the training bug. Should I not allow them to? Should all the sites that sell the videos ask for proof of rank first? We tried something like that over 20 years ago for people coming in to buy a Black Belt from me in my dojo proshop. I never sold them one without a certificate first. Of course they would just order it through a catalog if they didn't have a cert. If Sensei has made the info public I don't see the harm in sharing it. If a particular lesson was given in confidence then that is where it stays.

I agree that I may have been ignorant but not arrogant. Again, I am sorry if I came off that way. On the other hand, having spotted my error it's nice to see that others are watching out for non-desirables.

I can only assume that you have had a bad experience on this forum with that. Just in browsing a few posts I have noticed a few short fuses, quick judgements and pointless bickering. I assumed that this forum would share basic info more freely, my mistake. It's not like I was asking for details on the Kuji or how to make poisens. I usually show those types of people the door ASAP too.

I am not interested in persuing this line if it will just continue to degrade. I have apologized and I think that I have made my intentions about as clear as I could. My hand has been slapped and I have learned my lesson. I thank you for your time and for even reading this far if you have. In the end, we are all in the same family.
-Yours in Budo, Gambatte!

Posted on: 2005/12/22 4:01

(1) 2 3 4 »

[Advanced Search]

Today's Sponsor