Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Re: List of Gyokko Ryu Waza
Active Kutakian
From USA
Group:
村民 :: Villager
Hi

this is the sort of thing I was refering to in my post.

A great classic example of why not to trust anything you see on the web.

If the poster is using this list as he has laid it out and is passing it to other people then he needs to get back on the mat and start training, he has not listed a correctly structured list adn several kata are mis-spelt.

The first mistake was - 'Sho ryaku' - and it just continued.

I rest my case.

Steve

Quote:

seryph wrote:
i am not afraid or ashamed of the info i have and i will share it( the names anyway).
1.sho ryaku-first level techniques
omote gyaku
ura gyaku
torite kihon gata
omote gyaku henka
musha dori
muso dori
o gyaku
koku
renyo
danshu
danshi
gyaku nagare
keo/fuo
hanebi
keto
yubi kudaki
2. shime waza-techniques against binds and chokes
ketsu myaku
satei
teiken
3. chu ryaku-middle level techniques
ujaku
seito
dashin
koraku
hosen
kohane tsurube
shien
horaku
4. geriraku-techniques against sword
shun u
shun soku
ichi geki
kai soku
koryo
iai fuji
chin gan
fume
-----------------------
hope this helps

Posted on: 2005/12/22 18:24

村長 :: Sonchou
From Chiba, Japan
Group:
村長 :: Admin
Quote:

adn several kata are mis-spelt.

Did you do that on purpose?

Shawn

Posted on: 2005/12/22 18:30
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Cant Stay Offline
From Hamina, Finland
Group:
議長 :: Mod
師導士会 :: Shidoshikai
And... did seryph do it on purpose, too?

One could also write open any Kata of any school... could it be trusted? HEHE might be a way to bait someone to provide the correct form....

"In my Dôjô Shun U goes like..."

"Nonono, completely off!!! It's goes like this....."

Posted on: 2005/12/22 20:00
(Bujinkan Budōka since 1985)

Re: OT: List of Gyokko Ryu Waza
Deleted_
Quote:

kouryuu wrote:
Jeff,

Isn't your opinion information? Isn't anything you post information?

Imo, posting your opinion on the Internet is posting information on the Internet. You post your opinion in order to cause an effect (on someone else's opinion, or to make them think, etc.) right?

To me it sounds like you're saying: "Don't listen to anything you find on the Internet, except this opinion of mine that you are finding on the Internet, because everything out there on the Internet could be misconstrued and lead you astray, with the sole exception of my opinion (which is always right so it will never lead you astray)."

Thoughts?

(Btw, the "OT" in the subject of this post stands for "off-topic." Moderators feel free to shut me down any time.)

Shawn

I see what you are trying to say Shawn, but I think you are just taking it a tad to far (Which I think you know you are doing )

Everything people discuss is opinion in some form or another, but the art is not open to interpretation or opinion. It is that misguided interpretation that I think is bad to discuss on the 'net, hence why you won't find me discussing those things directly. Because as you said that would be contradicting myself.

Feel free to email me or PM me if you want to discuss more... no need to hijack this thread.

Posted on: 2005/12/23 0:04

Frequent Visitor
From California
Group:
As far as the misspellings and structure of any technique list is concerned I think that everyone knows to take the information with caution. While I accept the info in the spirit that it was shared, I don't accept it or anything as gospel.

That is the reason for my original question in the first place. I have noticed difference in the spelling and sequence between the back of the Quest videos and in the video itself! Anytime you try to translate from one language to another you will lose meaning and the spelling will almost get butchered too.

The only correct spelling may be in Japanese. And even that is an ancient style in most cases. Many of the Japanese people I have asked to help me understand the names have to work at it to figure it out sometimes.

I don't care about the spelling as much as the completeness of the list for my purposes. From the many lists that I have compiled I just want to see which waza if any are missing. I don't plan on spending any more than 2 hours total on this little project anyways.

Is it me or is this thread done?

Posted on: 2005/12/23 6:29

Active Kutakian
From New York
Group:
Hello again fellow posters, here's another link to some handy info, as to its accuracy, I leave that for you to discern.....http://www.mbdojo.com/ryukata.html.
Its not mine its someone elses. As for the list, spelling and order of techniques not with standing, it's a list that is longer than those in the possesion of some highly ranked instructors when they started out teaching.(sadly some people seem to forget the time, when they knew very little about the art). Its a start, prove it, disprove it and you will have earned the right to call it, your own list, if not then its just another list like all the rest, its what you do with it that counts...Personally I just take them out every now again for occasions just like these, and the rest of the time they sit at home on the shelf. It's when they are brought to life thru movement that they really begin to exist in the real world, but untill then there just a figment of your imagination, untill you feel them that is....Good Luck with your quest, If you need assistance all you have to do is ask honestly, and you will be given an honest answer...Regards Mark

Posted on: 2005/12/23 9:08

If "Nothing" works-then do "it".

The Art Is Alive, when the practice of living transcends the art..So Live It, Dont Just Practice it..!

Village Old Timer
From Dayton, Ohio
Group:
I remember a day in college, my house mates came in after a night out. They decided to bake a cake. I was the quasi-cook of the house and they said "if Marty can do it, so can we". I listened in another room as one room mate read off the list of ingredients - the other would get the material and then put them in the mixing bowl.

It was "2 cups flower" - "2 cups flower, check"
"2 eggs" - "2 eggs, check"
"1 cup milk" - "one cup milk - check"

this went on and on until...

"sift together dry ingredients and then slowly add mild and egg white" followed by "Huh?"

Having a list of ingredients and baking a cake are 2 different things.

Marty

Posted on: 2005/12/23 11:29

Active Kutakian
From Rome, GA
Group:
Quote:
If the poster is using this list as he has laid it out and is passing it to other people then he needs to get back on the mat and start training, he has not listed a correctly structured list adn several kata are mis-spelt.

first let me tell you the only time i see a mat is when i go to a basics class. next the list i gave was an old translation but correct(if you have studied gyokko ryu you should be able to figure it out). i do have another list that would probably be correct to you. the point is i just tried to help the guy out honestly without ego.

Posted on: 2005/12/23 17:42

Permanent Village Fixture
From Wales, United Kingdom
Group:
Marty said:-
Quote:
Having a list of ingredients and baking a cake are 2 different things.

What a brilliant analogy!

Just the other night, one of my students attempted his Nidan but unfortunately I had to fail him. He was demonstrating the kata Dan Shi from the Gyokko Ryu (I'm sure you know it, right?). Unfortunately, what he demonstrated was a list of technical bullet points instead of Dan Shi. Don't get me wrong, the kata was technically excellent but there was no life. Like a skeleton without muscles and stuff.

I just wish I'd known your analogy about cake making at the time.

Posted on: 2005/12/23 21:44

"Ultimately, we must forget technique, but forgetting about technique is not the same as never having learned it."
Hideharu Onuma

Frequent Visitor
From California
Group:
Thank you Mark. But the link doesn't seem to be working.

Posted on: 2005/12/24 18:06

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

[Advanced Search]

Today's Sponsor