Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Yagyu Shinkage Ryu and the Bujinkan
Active Kutakian
From Barcelona (Spain)
Group:
村民 :: Villager
師導士会 :: Shidoshikai
Hello all,

In the inside cover of the last Hatsumi Sensei's book (Japanese Sword Fighting) it talks about Yagyu Shinkage Ryu.
Which is the relation of Sôke Hatsumi with this school?
Does he have any mastership in this ryu ha?
Is there any relation between Bujinkan ryuha's and Yagyu Shinkage Ryu?

Thanks in advance, Merry Christmas to all of you and our best wishes for the Next Year from :

Bujinkan Bushi Dojo
Barcelona (Spain)

Posted on: 2005/12/23 18:46

Dani Esteban -Koryu-
Bujinkan Bushi Dojo
Barcelona (Spain)
http://bushidojo.wordpress.com
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Yagyu Shinkage Ryu and the Bujinkan
Just Passing Through
Group:
I know that yagyu shinkage ryu is a famous school of kenjutsu, and its various sokè was been the official martial arts masters of the Tokugawa family.

I didn't read "Japanese Sword Fighting" , but I know that the Yagyu ryu is also a school of shurikenjutsu.

Anyway Hatsumi Sokè do not have the mastership in this ryu-ha.

Posted on: 2005/12/25 9:44

Frequent Visitor
Group:
Hello and mery christmas
As i know Yagyu shinkage ryu is founded in Iga province and they have been something like KAGE Ninja Ryu or Ninja style in shadow. There is many stories about their founder Yagyu Jubei and his relation to some ninja activites during his life under guidance of shogun. More about this style you can find on http://www.furyu.com/index.html
Thats all from me now

Posted on: 2005/12/25 19:08

Kutaki Postmaster
From Ann Arbor, MI, USA
Group:
Quote:

Onibi wrote:

How do you know this? Honestly.

-ben

Posted on: 2005/12/26 5:13

"Many waza have survived real war. All have died the death of peace." -- Ed Lomax

Kutaki Postmaster
From Honolulu
Group:
Quote:

bencole wrote:
Quote:

Onibi wrote:

How do you know this? Honestly.

-ben

Hi Ben!

There would be a really easy way to find out. Yagyu Nobuharu is the current soke of the largest line of Yagyu Shinkage Ryu. I am friends with his most senior non Japanese student and I can ask him to ask the Soke. Should not take long to get an answer. They are also closely allied with the other lines and it should not be hard to dig up an answer. I will get back to you on it.

Posted on: 2005/12/26 17:35

Kutaki Postmaster
From Honolulu
Group:
Quote:

Inuyasha wrote:
Hello and mery christmas
As i know Yagyu shinkage ryu is founded in Iga province and they have been something like KAGE Ninja Ryu or Ninja style in shadow. There is many stories about their founder Yagyu Jubei and his relation to some ninja activites during his life under guidance of shogun. More about this style you can find on http://www.furyu.com/index.html
Thats all from me now

Yagyu Shinkage Ryu is a branch of Shinkage Ryu which is a branch of Kage Ryu. I have no idea where the "Ninja Kage Ryu" idea comes from. Do you have a source you can cite for that? Also Yagyu Shinkage Ryu was not founded in Iga, but part of the Yagyu domain did extend into Iga lands if I remember correctly.

As for the question if there is any connection between Yagyu Shinkage Ryu and the Bujinkan, I do know of one possible connection. Takagi Umanosuke of Takagi Yoshin Ryu was on shugyo and he studied under several other headmasters and incorporated those into what he already knew. One of those schools he studied had a strong link to Kage Ryu which is linked to Yagyu Shinkage Ryu. It is interesting to note that most of the schools that have some kind of link to Kage Ryu are known for very strong muto dori and for being very sophisticated. There is mention in an old densho from Kage Ryu about fighting like a leaf that that is floating down from a tree.

I will go through my old notes and see if I can dig up more.

Posted on: 2005/12/26 18:01

Active Kutakian
From Belgium
Group:
Have a look at the recent printing of Life Giving Sword by Yagyu Muneyori (?). Some interesting ideas there that seem to mirror some of the things mentioned recently by Soke. That's where I'd start.

G. Vreeman

Posted on: 2005/12/27 3:07

Deleted_
Its funny that some discuss "shinkage ryu" and yagu "shinkage ryu"- shinkage ryu actually comes from kashima shin ryu kamiziumi was a studnet of that ryu, not kage ryu- the only relation is in the name, kage ryu is a Nodaichi style that employs an Okatana usually drawn from the back( my sources say I'm not for sure) kami izumi defeated the "house of yagu" rather his deshi did and became the sword master to the sword master of the "God king" to note that in the linage of "SHINKAGE RYU KENJUTUSU" there is an gyokushin shinkage ryu- ask Soke, you might be surprised with what you find !! The Yagau were famous, but just the begining there is a long line of kenjutsu schools intertwined with the bujinkan from this line, do your homework !!

Posted on: 2006/1/16 1:30

Kutaki Postmaster
From Honolulu
Group:
Quote:

wrote:
Its funny that some discuss "shinkage ryu" and yagu "shinkage ryu"- shinkage ryu actually comes from kashima shin ryu kamiziumi was a studnet of that ryu, not kage ryu- the only relation is in the name, kage ryu is a Nodaichi style that employs an Okatana usually drawn from the back( my sources say I'm not for sure) kami izumi defeated the "house of yagu" rather his deshi did and became the sword master to the sword master of the "God king" to note that in the linage of "SHINKAGE RYU KENJUTUSU" there is an gyokushin shinkage ryu- ask Soke, you might be surprised with what you find !! The Yagau were famous, but just the begining there is a long line of kenjutsu schools intertwined with the bujinkan from this line, do your homework !!

You are half right and half wrong. Kamiizumi was a student of Aisu Ikosai of Kage Ryu and a student of Kunii Kagetsugu of Kashima Shinto Ryu among others.

Posted on: 2006/1/16 10:38

Just Passing Through
Group:
Hi,

Since Yagyu Shinkage ryu was the house school of kenjutsu for the Tokugawa and we are told that Toda was a sword teacher to the Tokugawa then perhaps we might conclude that Toda was a liscenced teacher of Yagyu Shinkage ryu (?). Perhaps Yagyu Shinkage ryu and Bujinkan are linked in this way?

Apologies for speculation,

James Whelan

Posted on: 2006/3/11 0:14

[Advanced Search]

Today's Sponsor