Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Socialize

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Problem
Deleted_
My deal is that my group trains twice a week, yet, I want to train more. It probably doesn't help that I'm moving to Milwaukee next fall, in which there is no Bujinkan school.

That just doubles my inability to train.

What should I do? Is there more stuff I can do at home? How can I practice my moves without using someone else?

(I can't believe I'm saying this) Would it be wise to take up another martial art, most likely karate or jujutsu, in bujinkan's place?

I'd hate to give up on the bujinkan, but just not doing it for a couple years would totally kill my prior experiences, and I want to do stuff at home when I train.

Help?

Posted on: 2006/1/4 13:59
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Problem
Village Old Timer
Group:
村民 :: Villager
議長 :: Mod
Sanshin is meant to be trained on your own. Kihon Happo can be done solo. Even the kata can be trained as one person. Use the time you have to yourself to work on your alignment and your flexibility and such things.

Posted on: 2006/1/4 15:26

Kutaki Postmaster
Group:
As syd said, kihon and sanshin... ALOT! being away from any kind of bujinkan school like I am here in korea makes training a bit rough, but if you are willing to travel a bit, you will be able to find some one to train with... just don't give up and as everyone is always quoting "just keep going!" there is one other guy in this COUNTRY that is in the bujinkan and I tracked him down, sure he's a 4 1/2 hours away but hey sacrifice a bit and it's not impossible!

Posted on: 2006/1/4 16:49

Alan McPherson

村長 :: Sonchou
From Budapest - Hungary
Group:
村長 :: Admin
Hi,

If you really feel that this is the MA that is meant to be for you, do not ever give up! That's also part of the training.

There was a time when I had no possibility to go to the regular trainings in the dojo because of scheduling problems. At that time I'd been training alone, 2-3 days a week.
At the beginning I had serious doubts that it was any useful, but I kept practicing:

- Kamae, heaps and heaps of ukemi, evasion, sanshin and kihon.
- All the above, but blindfolded. It's really "fun", you move on a completely different way when you can't see anything.
- All the above but with sword or tanto.
- There was also a huge punchbag hanging from the ceiling at that place, which gave a great opportunity to practice dakentaijutsu. More specificly to hit/kick, and then evade and counterattack. Okay it's not the same as with a real partner but is really very fun as it makes you pay attention to timing and moving only as much as is necessary. Otherwise you'll get exhausted too quickly.

As I mentioned I had serious doubts that it would really help me any, but when I returned to the dojo and started working on the techniques with partners, I was like "Geez, was it me?!" Then I saw that this solo trainign was very useful, as now I strated to "feel the move". So since then I keep doing this additional solo training as well.

For this I had to keep in mind: GAMBATTE!!! Don't give up. It's a short word but is a HUGE help! Don't care about what it exactly means, you don't have to think too much about what Hatsumi Sensei meant by saying this or why he said this. There will be times when you'll feel that there is no point in playing around alone, as it's not a serious practicing, etc etc. Then just remember "Keep Going!", and do what it means, and it will bring its fruit in the future. That's the best we can do at this level.

And yes, h20oni is right. Even 4-5 hours travelling does worth sometimes, if there is someone over there to practice with.
You decide what sacrifice you want to bring. If you need this training, it won't be a problem for you.

Chin up and good luck

Eva

Posted on: 2006/1/4 17:32

No Problem
Frequent Visitor
From La.
Group:
Darkoato,
the techniques the previous posters
mentioned is accurate.
Look to the post i wrote:
"Train with your Teacher(s)"
there was no dojo or shibu in my area.
Dr. Kelly Hill doesn't train at this time ,
so i started my own Shibu under
a Shihan's guidance and advice ! !

Just ignore the negative comments made by some...

In Wi. you can contact
Micheal Coleman.

Posted on: 2006/1/4 21:50

Re: No Problem
Cant Stay Offline
From Pennsylvania, USA
Group:
師導士会 :: Shidoshikai
Otto, you've had some excellent advice from the previous posters here. Thanks Eva, your personal experience is both encouraging and admirable. When I started there were not only NO schools or groups, but NO qualified instructors around, and one couldn't even find out what the basic kihon happo was. We had to travel to seminars, and when we learned how and where to go, travel to Japan. We had to get contact with bujinkan instructors and bring them in for seminars and instruction, which was less expensive then all of us traveling long distances to another seminar. If you really understand the value you can gain from this art you will do what you need to in order to learn it. The "keep going" is such excellent advice, in fact that is all it takes to get good, just never stop training. Find someone who has an interest and have them work with you ---- your uke. Now be careful and do it slow or they will not be willing to continue as your training partner and having a "partner" is a big help in doing the kihon. Be upfront about being a student and not "knowing it all", you will find that most people will accept that very well. (LOL, all of us are 'students' anyway.)The thing that turns people off to you is acting like you're the "expert" when you aren't, or exhibiting such an out of control ego that there is no fun training with you. Good luck and keep looking, there are many training groups that you just have to find, they "fly" under the radar.
Ed Martin aka Papa-san

Posted on: 2006/1/4 22:30

Re: No Problem
村長 :: Sonchou
From Budapest - Hungary
Group:
村長 :: Admin
Quote:

Papa-san wrote:
Thanks Eva, your personal experience is both encouraging and admirable.

Papa-san, your appreciative comments always force me to do some ego-training , although it's absolute not easy to always have the necessary awareness
Thank you for the great opportunity, indeed

Eva

Posted on: 2006/1/5 6:35

Deleted_
WOW! I can't believe how many people replied to this post. I only left it for a day too :)

Thank you so much everyone. I guess I was just feeling down because I might not be able to train with others on a regular basis. HOwever, I will contact Coleman and try to get something going. (by the way, do you have his email? if not that's fine)

Also, are there any books or movies that I can buy to help myself? I was just wondering if anyone knew of something so great you just have to get it.

thanks again,

Posted on: 2006/1/5 8:25

Deleted_
You know, bujinkan is like coffee... once you start, you learn how great it is, and you can't do without it

Posted on: 2006/1/5 8:33

Kutaki Postmaster
Group:
As far as books and videos, Kubudo No Kihon and What is Martial Arts offered by quest are both really good. well at least in my opinion...

Posted on: 2006/1/5 11:18

Alan McPherson

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Today's Sponsor