Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Fukuro Shinai
Occasional Visitor
From Johnstown, PA
Group:
村民 :: Villager
Hello, All,

This is my first post here. My name is Meryl Rutz from Johnstown, PA. In looking for fukuro shinai, I have come across the traditional bamboo, pvc, and hardwood (yes, believe it or not, I have seen people selling fukuro shinai of hardwood - I hope it was split and not solid!). Due to the cost I would like to make my own. Does anyone have any suggestions for this? Any ideas where I can procure the bamboo, how do I split it, etc.?

I have a piece of pvc the right size but I just can't bring myself to do it...would dearly prefer the more traditional bamboo. I'm not even considering the hardwood - I don't want to maim my training partners (unless someone has a reasonable suggestion for making it safe, too).

Thanks for your knowledge and assistance.
Meryl

Posted on: 2006/2/10 9:55
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Fukuro Shinai
Kutaki Postmaster
Group:
Hi! I love it when people are cheap like me and want to make their own toys!! although I always seem to end up spending more money than I would have just buying them! lol! Anyway on getting bamboo, check in the phone book for specialty woodworking supply stores. they can usually order all kinds of lumber. that would be my first place to try... or you could always come to korea and whack down a 6" round piece of bamboo... it's all over the place over here... lol!!
splitting bamboo is easy! it WANTS to split in straight lines! once you get your bamboo, take a piece of metal wide enough to fit across one end of the bamboo(the larger end) like a hatchet or axe and pound it into the end, it will start splitting all the way down both sides, just be careful that your starting point bisects the end as close to perfectly as you can, or you will end up with uneven pieces. oh and be careful, cause split bamboo is SHARP and it will cut you deeper and faster than you would believe! (yes I have the scars to prove it! )
best of luck with it!

Posted on: 2006/2/10 12:32

Alan McPherson

Kutaki Postmaster
From Dallas Texas
Group:
FYI,
You can use Delrin rods in a bundle.
These are very flexible using just one.. so maybe 5.. at the same time..
Make a very tiny hole in the ends to keep them in line.. run very thin line in the holes.. round the end edges together, cover with the correct cloth of your choice and you are done.
This will also hold up better than any other shinai I have used... well my carbon one is really the best.. but that's not the same shinai.

ralph severe, kamiyama

Posted on: 2006/2/16 16:12

Occasional Visitor
From Johnstown, PA
Group:
Arigato for your replies. I appreciate the assistance.

Meryl

Posted on: 2006/2/17 3:50

Occasional Visitor
Group:
Meryl,
contact Tim Bathurst. http://www.timbathurst.net.

Ed Green
BudoWeapons.com

Posted on: 2006/3/17 1:19

Villager
From Munich / Germany
Group:
師導士会 :: Shidoshikai
Hello all,

I have also ordered mine from Tim. They are really nice! I would also recommend having a look at his website... Definitely worth the money.

Posted on: 2006/3/17 21:21

Stefan Filus
Bujinkan Sakura Dojo Munich / Germany

Villager
From Alma, Michigan
Group:
I also have to concur that Tim Bathurst's Tombo training weapons are fantastic. One of the best purchases I have made in the last couple of years.

Brian R. VanCise
www.instinctiveresponsetraining.com

Posted on: 2006/3/17 23:23

Occasional Visitor
From Singapore
Group:
Dear Meryl,

I chose to make a set of these myself when I saw the pair made by Kristoffer Metsälä on this very forum; if you extend your search from the 'last 100 days' to the 'last year' in this weapons forum you will see the thread of discussion that Kristoffer, others and myself had about it. It comes up under 'my new shinai'

Both kristoffer and myself used normal kendo shinai and reshaped the handle and then covered them. I would recomend using a light shinai (if you buy one that already measures 42 inch's approx in length it is nice and light) because mine is a bit heavy and some people complain about being beaten with it, I still think it is character building

Also you don't have to buy real ito-tsuki cord to wrap the handle. You can get stuff that looks like a roll of bootlace from some material shops (I think it is used for hemming curtains but I am not sure). It is massively cheaper than buying the original stuff. It is 10mm wide and about 1mm thick and it is cut of a roll I paid less than a pound for 17m of it, but that was here in Singapore.

In reallity for all the work that goes into them Tim's weapons are woth considering my sensai uses them and they are great, but Tim only did black at the time and I wanted white, so I built some.

sorry for the long post I would have linked the other thread but I don't know how

I hope this helps

Posted on: 2006/3/18 17:49

James Corlett
Singapore

Active Kutakian
From Sweden
Group:

Posted on: 2006/3/19 4:50

Occasional Visitor
From Johnstown, PA
Group:
Thanks for the additional information - very helpful.

Meryl Rutz

Posted on: 2006/4/12 7:19

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Today's Sponsor