Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Socialize

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

I finally managed to get to another class in Ayase and...
Village Old Timer
Group:
村民 :: Villager
議長 :: Mod
"You are not training to be a killer of people but a killer of techniques."

"A baby is encased in water in the womb yet you can drown in water when you are older. You need to understand nature in this way."

"It is very unnatural to throw someone. You shouldn't try to throw him, he should just fall."

That's as much as I can remember right now (if I even remembered that correctly). If I remember anything else, I shall try to post it.

Posted on: 2006/2/14 22:24
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: I finally managed to get to another class in Ayase and...
Villager
Group:
Hi Syd,

Can you share a bit about this one....

"You are not training to be a killer of people but a killer of techniques."

The context, etc.

Thanks,
Jeff

Posted on: 2006/2/15 6:10

Village Old Timer
Group:
One of the first things Soke said last night is something to the effect that we can start forgetting all the techniques we learn. Moving freely is natural, stopping and pausing to remember is unnatural. Later he mentioned that some people never forget the techniques and if they use the technique in an unnatural situation they will be captured by it. Personally, I think that Soke means we should not be a technique but a natural form of something that can overcome someone else's technique. But then again, what do I know? I could be way off.

Posted on: 2006/2/15 7:21

Villager
Group:
Awesome! Great input. Oddly enough, this is something that I've come to learn over the last 4-5 months now. I've finally put aside trying to learn a technique or techniques. I learn the essence of the movements and the technique just lands where it lands. Good stuff.

We've always been taught to move naturally and like a human being. When we do this, the techniques present themselves and you don't have to struggle with it

Odd that I'd learn these from someone who's not been training with the Bujinkan for a couple of years now.

Thanks for the extra information!!

Posted on: 2006/2/15 7:27

Villager
From Tokyo, Japan
Group:
"Odd that I'd learn these from someone who's not been training with the Bujinkan for a couple of years now" - calegs

No - what is ODD is that some people didn't learn this YEARS AGO, while training in the Bujinkan.

It has always been there, but perhaps the ability to see it has not.

Posted on: 2006/2/15 12:19

The question you should ask is not
"What will his next attack be and how should I respond to it?",
but "What could I have done beforehand to pre-determine his next move!"

Village Old Timer
From Matsudo City, Chiba, Japan
Group:
To add to Benkyoka's notes,

Getting started - do this movement (was it nichigeki or something similar?) as a warm-up movement.

Sensei's words about babies - babies are surrounded by water in the womb; when you put a newborn in water, they swim; but an adult might drown. Something to that effect. (He's said this thing about babies before).

Don't decide your movement, use natural movement, don't worry about technique.

Did he say something about not putting effort into the movement? I hope I heard him right.

Maybe these notes sound simple, but it was important enough for sensei to want us to know it.

Posted on: 2006/2/15 13:38

Village Old Timer
From Dayton, Ohio
Group:
Quote:

caleqs wrote:
Odd that I'd learn these from someone who's not been training with the Bujinkan for a couple of years now.

must... not....feed....trolls!!!

AAAAHHGGG.

It is interesting what we can learn in spite of our training.

Marty

Posted on: 2006/2/15 15:16

Villager
Group:
Haha! You caught me! That was a blantant troll.

Sorry. It made me laugh. Glad you got a kick out of it too!

Please, no comments on it, it was just a joke.

Posted on: 2006/2/17 2:32

Villager
Group:
Quote:

Tessen wrote:
<snip>
Sensei's words about babies - babies are surrounded by water in the womb; when you put a newborn in water, they swim; but an adult might drown. Something to that effect. (He's said this thing about babies before).

Well, babies won't swim as much as they instinctively hold their breath and move. Eventually, they will drown. But its interesting to me to find out what he meant by this. I wonder if he's talking about an aspect of sanshin, that is, having the heart of a three-year-old. Where your heart and mind are open and you are like a sponge vs. being an adult who filters everything and allows "stuff" to get in their way of learning and development. Interesting.

Quote:

Tessen wrote:
Don't decide your movement, use natural movement, don't worry about technique.
<snip>

I just love this. I'm too ashamed to admit how long I allowed thinking to stunt my growth in training. I approached my training in the same analytical manner as I approach everything else. It made it such a struggle. If you can grasp this idea and own it, it is liberating!

Jeff.

Posted on: 2006/2/17 2:40

Cant Stay Offline
From Sacramento, CA (USA)
Group:
村長 :: Admin
Quote:
I'm too ashamed to admit how long I allowed thinking to stunt my growth in training. I approached my training in the same analytical manner as I approach everything else. It made it such a struggle. If you can grasp this idea and own it, it is liberating!

This is a healthy conclusion on your part, Jeff. I have a guy who has been training with me for years and finally got his shodan recently. Yesterday he commented about how he was really frustrated in the early stages of training because of the number of techniques every teacher would show in a class was overwhelming. There were just too many to memorize. Another would be shown even before he could grasp the previous one.

Soke will teach the same way, too. You may only get one try at it before the ominous "ooooohhhkaaay!" resounds from him and he's on to another technique.

This, in my opinion, is important in getting the student to "let go" of thinking and over-analyzing the training. My new shodan buddy said the very same thing as you - that once he stopped thinking the taijutsu and just started moving, to flow along with each technique as best he could, holding on to nothing in his head, he felt a sense of freedom and vitality to his training. Yet, in the end, he still learned what he needed to learn.

That's why we train in "tai" (body) "jutsu" (technique). It's the body that needs to learn - not the brain.

Posted on: 2006/2/17 3:19

I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, or in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. ~ Thomas Jefferson

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Today's Sponsor