Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Socialize

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: I finally managed to get to another class in Ayase and...
Villager
Group:
村民 :: Villager
When helping new students, I have taken to telling them, "The first move....is to MOVE." I hope this gets them thinking in the right direction. So they don't stand there or shuffle their feet while thinking about how to grab the hand or whatever. Just get them MOVing their bodies so that the rest will begin to fall into place. They don't listen.

Posted on: 2006/2/17 3:43

Villager
From The Netherlands
Group:
Slightly offtopic:

Quote:

Darren
It's the body that needs to learn - not the brain.

But the brain controls the body , right ?
At least the brain has to process the input

Posted on: 2006/2/17 8:50

村長 :: Sonchou
From Chiba, Japan
Group:
村長 :: Admin
That's the way that most people commonly think of it, but one of the most valuable things that I've learned from Bujinkan training is the use of the body to control the (conscious) mind.

If you practice assuming a kamae in training often enough, your brain starts to automatically work in the appropriate way. It starts to associate certain physical body postures with certain scenarios and reaction possibilities.

Pavlov's dog heard a bell every time it was brought food. Then after a while it would start salivating every time the bell was rung, whether or not any food was actually present. We recognize a clenched fist as a sign of anger. When you clench your fists, there is a change in your state of mind. Maybe just subconsciously, but your brain starts to move in the direction of anger mode.

Crowley said, "If you pray with your lips long enough, sooner or later you will find yourself praying from your heart." Shiraishi Sensei says, "Keep smiling!" I took that advice to heart when I was going through a painful divorce. For months I would literally force my face into a smile even though that was far from what I was feeling inside. One day I realized that I was smiling without trying, and that I felt a lot better inside as well. The body had trained the mind to assume a happy state.

This is one purpose of kamae, and also one purpose of mudra/kuji.

Shawn

Posted on: 2006/2/17 10:28
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Cant Stay Offline
From Hamina, Finland
Group:
議長 :: Mod
師導士会 :: Shidoshikai
Quote:
kouryuu wrote:
This is one purpose of kamae, and also one purpose of mudra/kuji.

And, maybe on one level, they are the same? Kamae could be seen as mudra... a big one... And maybe the other way around, too; mudra is a small Kamae

...when you think about how they are... hmm.. used...

Posted on: 2006/2/17 15:41
(Bujinkan Budōka since 1985)

Villager
Group:
Great post Shawn. Excellent. Definitely far reaching.

There are so many times in my life where I haven't "felt" liking doing something or being a certain way, but I do not let my feelings overcome what I know to be "right". So I do the right thing and my feelings and thoughts eventually align with what I'm DOING, not what I'm feeling or thinking. Excellent.

I think it all flows from one to the other and back again over time. Sometimes you need your mind to change your feelings or to move your body, sometimes your feelings need to keep your mind in check, other times your body needs to move in a way that your mind is adverse to (e.g. ukemi for me, my mind doesn't like me to fall/roll, but it is good for my body and my emotions). We just can't have one part rule all the time.

The trick is making sure the right "part" is operating at the right time! =)

Jeff

Posted on: 2006/2/21 1:44

From Budapest - Hungary
Group:
Quote:

The trick is making sure the right "part" is operating at the right time! =)

Well, that's the hardest part of the thing. If you could always make sure, you would not ever make mistakes, and you'd be perfect.
I wish I was like that. However the more mistakes you make - the more you can learn from it. The question is however: how much failure and pain can you take? And how much damage you cause until then around yourself?

Eva

Posted on: 2006/2/21 4:02

Villager
Group:
Hi Eva,

This is what I love about martial arts. The more you train in it, the better you are at using all three (mind, body, spirit). Of course, you have to pick the right style and instructor, but when you have it, its awesome.

I was just discussing this with my wife this morning. She's never fully understood why I train the way I do. She's just recently gotten into yoga after several years of just weight training. She now is experiencing training mind body and spirit together vs. just training her body (and to some extent her mind). She's starting to better understand what I have been talking about for the last 15 years.

Jeff

Posted on: 2006/2/21 4:31

From Budapest - Hungary
Group:
Quote:

caleqs wrote:

This is what I love about martial arts. The more you train in it, the better you are at using all three (mind, body, spirit).

Yeah, and each of us start from different starting points.
The method Shawn described helped me indeed in the near past to get through certain difficulties - it really works. (cool post Shawn )

Quote:

caleqs wrote:

I was just discussing this with my wife this morning. She's never fully understood why I train the way I do. She's just recently gotten into yoga after several years of just weight training. She now is experiencing training mind body and spirit together vs. just training her body (and to some extent her mind). She's starting to better understand what I have been talking about for the last 15 years.

My experience tells me that it might not be possible to fully understand these things merely by using one's intellect. One has to be in it and has to actively do it (feel it on your own skin - as we say in Hungary) to come to know it for real.

The other day I went to a teahouse with someone and the person asked me about Bujinkan Budo Taijutsu, about that what makes it a "path" for me.
Althought I tried to explain it to him, he did not quite understand and I think it was because he lacked the experience I had with it.
Anyhow, I'm just diverting the discussion from its original topic. So that's it. IMO one can not get a solid idea of something without being actively involved in it.

Eva
P.s.: And now I retreat as I am not a Japanese resident

Posted on: 2006/2/21 17:21

From Chiba, Japan
Group:
Quote:

Cuthalion wrote:

Yeah, and each of us start from different starting points.
The method Shawn described helped me indeed in the near past to get through certain difficulties - it really works. (cool post Shawn )

Sometimes I smile because I'm happy, sometimes I'm happy because I smile.

Shawn

Posted on: 2006/2/21 17:37

Frequent Visitor
From Hillsboro, TN
Group:
Very interesting thread here. I like the things you said at the first, but the one that got me was the one we're discussing. Very good interpretation on it, and seems to fit what I was thinking as well.

As for the one about throwing, I've been saying that for years when I teach nage-waza to my students. I heard it back in 98 at the Tai Kai when we were working on the kata of SFR then. Soke mentioned it then, and it stuck. I remember it helping me immensely as I used to try to just toss everyone in a throw because I thought it was cool. So much for the thoughts of a 17 year old then, huh? LOL.

Soke has been teaching a lot about being natural this year, this is nice to hear some from those over there right now, as I won't make it there until this time next year.

God Bless,
Randy Engle
Bujinkan Fudo Arashi Dojo

Posted on: 2006/4/10 2:54

« 1 (2)

[Advanced Search]

Today's Sponsor