Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 »

Re: Kutaki Access - Important!
Permanent Village Fixture
From Seattle
Group:
村民 :: Villager
Look on the bright side.
The non-members and the 25% without cards who are interested in intelligent conversation on training or learning accurate information about Bujinkan training still have the excellent resources of other forums like E-budo and martialtalk.com.
(sarcasm)

Domonic Ceccarelli

Posted on: 2006/3/20 6:31
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Kutaki Postmaster
From Colorado
Group:
Well I think if something is useful I am more of a fan of working constuctively to make it better. I believe that is the the general tenor and purpose of some of these statements, suggestions and observations.

I am not sure that I heard any objections to paying annual dues?

Posted on: 2006/3/20 6:33

Alan Witty...
www.warriorwindma.com

Kutaki Postmaster
Group:
I started a discussion regarding this quite a while a go in a thread in the “Shidoshi-kai” forum entitled – “Thoughts … “

I wanted to add my original points on the subject to this thread ….

Quote:

DuncanM wrote:
Since Shidoshi-kai membership is required for access into the Shidoshi-kai should providing a scan of a general membership card be required to post in the rest of the forum?

I still think that it should be able to be read by everyone, maybe just posting restricted?

The exception could be the "Training alone forums"

Just my thought as there seems to be a lot of static now that kutaki is starting to flood.

Quote:

DuncanM wrote:

I realise my original idea might be a big job. I thought it might be easy to find a way to ban everyone form posting at the same time and just let people on one at a time as they send in a card scan. Hehehe but I think the active members would drop to a very few.

The reason for my thoughts (and I suppose my earlier thoughts on including rank or some sort of indicator) was that people log on to kutaki and read it as a Bujinkan forum. Obviously as the forum gets bigger and bigger then it builds it's own momentum and more people are getting involved - but is the discussion being dominated (or at least the active threads) by people who aren't actually members?

If posting was restricted to people actually "in" the Bujinkan and the quality of the forum was low then we would only have ourselves to blame. But if the forum is being used by a majority of people who aren't actually members then how can we say it represents the views of people in the organisation?

Shawn has done an excellent job and the moderators do a great job too. Good moderation can go so far but when the larger number of people are logging on - posting a couple of things - then disappearing again I think it becomes harder to control. This is my opinion anyway and if it's not a huge job then I think it could be worth doing.

Of course I realise Shawn is busy and of course there is no urgency in anything like this - maybe over the next year or so?

Posted on: 2006/3/20 9:54

Unsubscribed
Deleted_Unsubscribed
well....

for the most part i agree with Aric and Syd. but i also don't really see what the big deal is. the people who wish to continue posting will just have to either attain Bujinkan membership cards or scan the ones they already possess.

that just leaves out idiots such as myself who haven't got a clue as to how one goes about "scanning" their membership cards in the first place.

i know, i know: "Ask your teacher."

so i end up taking the line that posting on Kutaki, however much fun it's been, isn't something i really need to be doing in the first place, since it's all meaningless anyway( no offense intended whatsoever, Shawn ).

sigh....i guess Ralph and i will always have that "Greener Grass"( *sniff* ).

you can have that can opener back now, Syd.

still hot for teacher,

mark spada

Posted on: 2006/3/20 11:06

村長 :: Sonchou
From Chiba, Japan
Group:
村長 :: Admin
A lot of the things we implement on Kutaki are experiments. If they work out, we keep them, if they don't, we don't. I certainly didn't meant to infer that having a yellow card makes one a better poster, but it does make one part of a larger community. (Again see what Hatsumi Sensei has to say about this in the Bujinkan Guidelines. No really. Go. Look.)

I understand that there are pros and cons to everything, but we have been mulling this over for quite some time and are ready to try it out.

Having spent most of yesterday as well as the last 12 hours straight attending to server problems and getting this website back online, I could really do without the sarcasm I'm seeing in some posts in this thread. I put a lot of time and effort into the site. If you don't like it, you don't have to whine and be sarcastic.

No, this is not actually a democracy, but do I try to be as fair and democratic as possible. I'm always open to suggestions and new ideas about how to do things, and implement them where appropriate and where time permits.

Be productive.
Suggest helpful alternatives.
Contribute to your community.

Otherwise, you're free to either suck it up, or go find a new one. You honestly don't expect me to listen to you if your whole post is a bunch of complaints with no alternatives suggested, do you?

Shawn

Posted on: 2006/3/23 20:43

Gurei Dojo | Blog
Facebook

Unsubscribed
Deleted_Unsubscribed
hey Shawn,

i'm sure the hard work you've put in, not to mention the frustrations you've endured, is appreciated by everyone who frequents Kutaki.

if nothing else, maybe this new experiment will prevent trolls from crossing the border, so to speak, and thereby prevent villagers from wasting time and space "responding" to those trolls. i guess time will tell.

best wishes,

mark spada

Posted on: 2006/3/23 21:34

Cant Stay Offline
From Sacramento, CA (USA)
Group:
議長 :: Mod
Quote:
I can't see how it was misinterpreted... funny though Darren, that you indicated this site is 'not a democracy' when just a couple posts back Shawn indicated this was done by a majority vote of shidoshikai members and participants.

I'm sorry if I somehow "misinterpreted" the posts, but to me it sounded more like pissing and moaning about something that really is up to Shawn - agree or not. It's easy to sit back and complain without offering real solutions. So, my post was to put perspective on the main fact about Kutaki - it is Shawn's site and his decision regardless if you agree or not. So, the decision is either comply or not. Simple.

No, it is not a democracy. Shawn asks for the opinions of his mods and Shidoshikai, but it really is he who makes the ultimate decisions. This could include shutting down the site if he so desired, or turning it into a Shidoshikai site only, or whatever new venture he so desires. It is always his call.

I believe this decision simply mirrors Soke's directive on memberships and is less of an issue than what others are making of it. It doesn't mean you can't read the posts, but those who are offering information should at least be members of the Bujinkan. That's an attempt at some kind of quality and relevance control. If you have another way, then please share them.

I think, as Shawn explained early on, the emphasis should be for non-members to seek training from a Shidoshi - not engage in Bujinkan training ideas/methods with unverified "Bujinkan" sources and obvious non-Bujinkan sources. This will help to steer impressionable, new people to what the Bujinkan is all about - actual, hands on training with a qualified Bujinkan teacher. It will also help to enforce Soke's membership policy on those Bujinkan people who are snubbing his directive.

Anyway, I assume this topic will end up either being shut down or be one of those 15+ page topics. But, as for me, I think I've far input my thoughts on the matter.

Cheers!

Posted on: 2006/3/24 1:32

I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, or in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. ~ Thomas Jefferson

Villager
From USA, PA
Group:
Gaijin (Inactive)
Getting a Bujinkan membership card is not always straight forward. But if that first challenge has not yet been overcome then why attempt to enter the challenge of posting on a Bujinkan bulletin board?

Teacher's club, Soke's Bujinkan, Shawn's Kutaki, Painter's painting, Writer's Novel. The creater/owner has the right to change or destroy his creation without asking anyone else first.

Experimenting is a tool for learning. If it doesn't work we learn something, if it works we learn and gain something.

Tony Notarianni

Posted on: 2006/3/24 1:48

村長 :: Sonchou
From Budapest - Hungary
Group:
Very well said Darren!

Beside all the reasonable points Darren brought up, I really can't see why is it such a pain for some people?
Do you always have to complain as soon as things change the slightest? The possibility of taking your part in the life of Kutaki's Bujinkan community is still there for you, just the conditions changed a slightly bit.
Come on guys, did you really become so comfy that a little change (yes, only a little for Bujinkan members - u just have to scan and send ur card) makes you so upset?
Where is that always mentioned "adaptation to your environment", hmmm? Agreed, this is not a democracy, so if things go beyond your control and change, adapt to it as much as possible. If you want to. If you don't want to, no dilemma... you can leave, no problem. I don't see where the problem is?

Probably some feel that their access to this service (that Kutaki provides on one way or another) will be cut off or complicated with this restriction.
But I am asking: what kind of service?
In my opinion it should not be seen as free "going-without-saying" service provided for us, no. It is a lot of sacrifice, time, money, and nerves spent on us by Shawn. Noone asked or forced him to do it, still he chose to make it and all of us enjoy its blessings. He chose to provide us a kind of playground, a kind of space for our common benefit, and thus to kind of "make us happy" - I had to polarize here a bit to make you understand what it is about. In my opinion.
So instead of considering yourself "entitled" to have full access, you could maybe get back to the ground and consider those few rules that he as an owner set up. Again, it is not a democracy, be satisfied with what you have granted.
Hard words I know.

And before anyone would jump on me, let me say that I will have my card here only sometime in May so I'll also "suffer" the restrictions, still I fully support this change and I still think it is a good idea.

Eva

Posted on: 2006/3/24 2:59

Cant Stay Offline
From Hamina, Finland
Group:
師導士会 :: Shidoshikai
Quote:
DontPost wrote:
Getting a Bujinkan membership card is not always straight forward.

Huh? Should be! Just talk to your teacher....

Posted on: 2006/3/24 4:07
(Bujinkan Budōka since 1985)

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 »

[Advanced Search]

Today's Sponsor