Certificates 0 2018/5/8 4:34
schistkicker

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Continuing traing while in the millitary
Honorary Villager
From Blaine, MN
Group:
村民 :: Villager
I just recently joined the Army (US) and am currently an 8th kyu student looking to train while i'm in the millitary.

I'm in AIT now. I'm currently at Ft. Sam-Houston and though i'm busy i can find some time to train. My problem has been I have no phone, and it's not practical to buy one for as little as i would call. And the dojo in the are doesn't have an E-mail link .

Additionally i question thier credentials. The dojo's answering service says they are led by a 7th Dan, and goes on to talk about the bujinkan.... and that it is 2,000 years old.

I had been in the bujinkan for about 2 years, and i seem to remeber all the instructors (as well as students) saying that the bujinkan was 900-1000 years. I also have seen it published this way, .... So it seems odd to me that they would be mistaken on such a basic thing as this.

so my question is, am i being to critical? and if not, how do i go about verifying that he is a real bujinkan instructor without potentially offending a future sensei?

Also, assuming I pass my EMT test, and my follow-on combat medic training, I will be staitioned at Ft. Lewis, Washinton. I have had contact with a reputable school there, who led me to an excellent instructor when i lived in boise, idaho.

I reality I'll only be here for up till the end of september, assuming that my next duty station is not change prior to my graduation.

Any help that can be offered would be greatly appreciated.

Domo arigato gozaimashite

Tim Danielson

Posted on: 2003/6/28 10:43
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Continuing traing while in the millitary
Deleted_
Quote:

Sect_7 wrote:
The dojo's answering service says they are led by a 7th Dan, and goes on to talk about the bujinkan.... and that it is 2,000 years old.

Hatsumi-sensei also often says this. Budo came to Japan from China, and the Chinese budo came from India which came from the budo of Greece and the middle east.

That's not to say it is the same thing - but if you look at the martial arts of India or old greek statues of pangrateon (sp?) you will see a lot of similarities.

What I think this means is that the path which leads to our budo has flowed over 2000 years.

Quote:

Sect_7 wrote:
so my question is, am i being to critical? and if not, how do i go about verifying that he is a real bujinkan instructor without potentially offending a future sensei?

He should have a Shidoshi-kai card issued from the Honbu. Also watch the instructor's movement and compare it to that of Hatsumi-sensei (even if just on video).

Posted on: 2003/6/28 13:39

Re: Continuing traing while in the millitary
Kutaki Postmaster
From Ann Arbor, MI, USA
Group:
>how do i go about verifying that he is a real bujinkan instructor without potentially offending a future sensei<

I doubt a Bujinkan instructor would be insulted, to be honest. All of us know the number of crackpots and frauds out there. You're inquiry into his status merely shows that you are looking for "the real thing." It shows that you have done your homework, don't take "trappings" at face value, and that you are looking for the best training you can find.

You also could mention his name here and I'm sure someone would know something about him.

-ben

Posted on: 2003/6/29 2:43

thanks...
Honorary Villager
From Blaine, MN
Group:
the dojo i contacted was the spirit warriors dojo. I was looking to train in thier san antonio school.

the instructors name is shidoshi hardy.

also, thanks for clarifying about the fact that all budo has old roots, i hadn't looked at it from that perspective.

Anything you guys might know about him or his school will be most apreciated.

besides for now, I have no Gi, so i have to find a store to get new ones. But if i have to wear civilian clothes i will. And i can forget about BDU's.... it would be fun to wear them, they are roomy.... but they would get torn apart. What to wear what to wear.

thanks,

Tim Danielson

Posted on: 2003/6/30 2:29

[Advanced Search]

Today's Sponsor