Register now!
Socialize

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 »

Reading List and DVDs
Just Passing Through
Group:
村民 :: Villager
I placed this inquiry in the "Non-Bujinkanners" section since I haven't received my membership card yet and have only recently started training. I was wondering if some people with more experience than I could recommend some good books or other training material? While I have been reading about some of these topics since an early age, I wonder if the majority of the material I studied is relevant and factual.

Any recommendations regarding beginning taijutsu, general information Bujinkan members should know, history of ninjutsu, and DVDs/Videos that might help a beginner with how things look would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave

Posted on: 2006/6/14 2:31
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Reading List and DVDs
Active Kutakian
Group:
Dave,

Try typing "kobudo" into the search feature and clicking on the thread entitled "The one best video to show". That's a good place to start.

Posted on: 2006/6/14 3:42

[Insert witticism of choice here]

Kutaki Postmaster
From Sydney, Australia
Group:
Dave, i dont know where you reside, but, this link here may help you.

www.budobiz.com

Shihan Ed Lomax, who is also a Kutaki member here, imports and supplies Soke's Quest DVD's. You'll find a pretty complete listing here, along with prices and ordering information.

They are all required viewing in my opinion, no matter what level you are at. The more you train, and the more you watch, and then re-watch each DVD, the more you pick up each time around.

Hope this helps.

Posted on: 2006/6/14 11:55

Villager
From Alma, Michigan
Group:
Definately look into getting "Kobudo No Kihon" and "What is Martial Arts". These are two fantastic videos/DVD's.

Brian R. VanCise
www.instinctiveresponsetraining.com

Posted on: 2006/6/16 4:53

Active Kutakian
From Winterpeg, Manitoba, Canada
Group:
師導士会 :: Shidoshikai
Beyond the Bujinkan related DVD/video suggestions, I encourage you to read books on structural kinesiology, physiology and anatomy. These books will give you an understanding of internal structures/systems and yield many clues to the how, what, and why of technique.

If you live near a university, grab a copy of the course outlines for sports medicine, kinesiology, etc., and checkout the required text books. Become a regular at your local library and read everything you can.

Have fun!

Quick Edit:
Keep an eye out for books geared towards athletics (movement). The relevance to Taijutsu will make the content more accessible, which will encourage you to keep reading/learning. There are plenty of 'dry' reads that will bore you to death.

I just did a quick check online and see that "The Manual of Structural Kinesiology" is still required reading. It's a great starting point and is easily obtained.

Posted on: 2006/6/16 5:09

www.bujinkanmanitoba.ca
Find us on Facebook!

Active Kutakian
From Rome, GA
Group:
anyone interested in sword play should read the following books:
a book of five rings
the unfettered mind
and the sword and the mind
these are great books on the subject, the unfettered mind also hits on what it takes to pass the sakki test.

Posted on: 2006/7/16 12:40

Just Passing Through
Group:
I would like to thank everyone (especially "radarblip" and "seryph") for the excellent advice regarding books and DVDs. I now have quite a bit to take in. I wouldn't have discovered The Unfettered Mind on my own, and learning more about anatomy, kinesiology, etc. is something I overlooked.

Excellent advice from all posters.

Posted on: 2006/7/19 1:51

Active Kutakian
From Winterpeg, Manitoba, Canada
Group:
師導士会 :: Shidoshikai
Quote:

David Storlein wrote:
... learning more about anatomy, kinesiology, etc. is something I overlooked.

Glad to be of help.

Taijutsu is, before all else, a physical system. A working knowledge of the body is essential.

I also recommend you explore tensegrity theory.

For some great reading on how it applies to the human body, Dr. Steven Levin [ http://www.biotensegrity.com/ ] Be sure to read the articles. If this stuff really peaks your interests, I highly recommend you buy his DVD.

From someone with a Bujinkan connection, Dennis Bartram [ http://www.amatsu.co.uk/ ] Site has two articles (PDF) in the "Information" section which refer to tensegrity.

Background on the theory, Buckminster Fuller Institute [ http://www.bfi.org/ ]

For those wanting to see how far the rabbit hole goes, Donald Ingber @ Harvard Medical School [ http://web1.tch.harvard.edu/research/ingber/homepage.htm ]

Have fun. We are amazing machines!

Posted on: 2006/7/19 6:49

www.bujinkanmanitoba.ca
Find us on Facebook!

Active Kutakian
From Rome, GA
Group:
david, i am glad that i could help you take a "baby step" on your journey along the path...feel free to contact me anytime. gambatte and ninpo ikkan!

Posted on: 2006/7/19 16:46

Occasional Visitor
From London, ON, Canada
Group:
I just wanted to add my thanks, and I hope your suggestions help others that follow.

Posted on: 2006/9/6 20:33

(1) 2 3 »

[Advanced Search]

Today's Sponsor