Socialize

Recent Topics

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Koga-ryu video...
Frequent Visitor
From New Jersey USA
Group:
村民 :: Villager
Hello all my name is Mike and I am a member of the Princeton, NJ training group. This is only my second post although I've been reading for quite awhile. Most of the discussion seem at times a bit over my head so I've hesisitated to add my two cents...until now that is...

Today was browsing thru some shelves at a magazine store and saw a copy of Budo International. I bought a copy (don't ask me why) and now hours later I'm flipping thru it with the feeling that my five dollars would have been better spent at the boardwalk arcade. Anyway, there was one interesting thing there so I thought I would post on it.

In several pages of advertised videos for sale there are two that claim to offer instruction for Koga-ryu ninjitsu. The instructor's name is Juan Hombre (i'm not making this up I swear) and the magazine states he "is the only European authorized to represent this Ninjitsu tradition". One video apparently applies to fighting technique (taijutsu I guess), the other to weapons.

I've read historically that this is an authentic school of Ninjitsu but I was unaware that anyone was teaching/studying it. Can anyone tell me if this is the real thing or is it the second coming of Nicholas Linnear and Sho Kosugi?

On the same page there's also a Bujinkan video offered by Pedro Fleitas (who I've seen on the 2003 Daikyomosai video) and a Genbukan video by Peter Vermeeren (another name I've heard).

Of course I'll talk to my teachers about it this weekend but I thought it might generate some discussion. Hope everyone is having a good week.

p.s. I didn't mean any disrespect toward Nicholas Linnear...

Posted on: 2006/8/25 12:23

Re: Koga-ryu video...
Kutaki Postmaster
Group:
hello,
I think I can easily guess you will not get many answers, because these are arguments that have been discussed in 360+1 degrees.
give the search function here and on other forums (e-budo, MAP, martial talk, as example) and google a try and you'll find plenty of info.
But, very short: Koka is very questioned as authentic. Someone who whas (self?)proclaimed Soke of one lineage (Wada-ha), Fujita Seiko, died with no official inheritor (unless some ura soke... I love that idea!). Another person nowadays claiming some connection to Koka Ryu is Yunoki San. It seems he is the nearest to that tradition, be it in a researcher-like flavour or as a soke, dunno the truth (who know?).At least he's credited as a good histoian.. And the people who study with him say Juan Hombre has nothing to do with Koka.
Pedro Fleitas is very credited in our system and the video should be very interesting and inspiring.
The other guy, dunno.
Hth. Mh, it was not so short...
Bye,

Posted on: 2006/8/25 20:10

Re: Koga-ryu video...
Frequent Visitor
From New Jersey USA
Group:
Thank you for getting back to me about this. I'll chat it over with my teachers this weekend but I thought I might be able to get some info. from this forum as well. Much appreciated!

To me, the idea of an ura soke (at least from a sensationalist perspective) would be a very cool thing!

Posted on: 2006/8/26 5:16

[Advanced Search]

Today's Sponsor