« 1 (2)

Re: 2 Piece Bo Staffs - Opinions Needed
Cant Stay Offline
From Pennsylvania, USA
Group:
村民 :: Villager
議長 :: Mod
師導士会 :: Shidoshikai
I also have considered how convienent it would be to have 3 foot lengths that would fasten together to form a bo or have a couple of such joints to make up a yari or naganata so they would transport easily. I don't know if it can be done in a way that would hold up to hard training. Of course if you were making no contact with them as in just solo practice or kata, it would be fine. The problem would be to fine a connector with enough length so that when the wooden ends were inserted there was enough lenth there to keep it solid as well as a good solid, maybe screw type fitting to put the two (or more) pieces together. It would probably need to be brass or some similar fitting. I know that a pool Que is done in this manner but there is no side stress on the que. If anyone finds a good way to do this I'd also be very interested in it. Thanks.

Posted on: 2006/8/29 3:28

Occasional Visitor
From London, ON, Canada
Group:
Finding suitable materials should not be a concern or issue. I garuntee that if you do the proper shopping around you will find MANY ways to accomplish this task.

Unfortunately, it is 0430, and I cannot go 'shop around', but when I can, I will then be able to post some useful information.

Thanks for the inspiration, Carl

Posted on: 2006/9/5 18:41

Kutaki Postmaster
Group:
Quote:

Papa-san wrote:
I also have considered how convienent it would be to have 3 foot lengths that would fasten together to form a bo or have a couple of such joints to make up a yari or naganata so they would transport easily. I don't know if it can be done in a way that would hold up to hard training.

When I was in Japan this January Nakadai-sensei was teaching bo on Sundays and quite a few of his students had the screw-together-pool-cue bo.

I don't know if someone was making them or if you can buy them from somewhere.

I do know that years ago the martial arts shop in Ayase used to sell yari like this - but the prices were WAY too expensive.

Posted on: 2006/9/5 22:37
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Occasional Visitor
Group:
I can tell you that the possibility of a bo staff being broken down into two pieces is a very real thing that can be done.
Last year I made a 7 foot training yari for a gentleman in New York. He required also that it be able to be broken into two pieces for transport on subways in NY. To my knowledge today he is still using it and it has held up wonderfully according to him.
the way I did it was to use 1/4 inch threaded rod and inserts. I also included a small sleeve to reinforce the joint. The sleeve was made of steel and it fit snugly so as to not allow much lateral movement with the bo was in motion and protected the joint from being damamged and thusly loosening up the rod and inserts. The trick is to be able to bore a hole straight enough to match up the other side and using rod that is long enough. You can use dowling guides to do this. however your hole must be "dead nuts" centered on your stock for the joint to be an accurate match. This can be a daunting task when trying to do this with a an already made bo. Since all Of mine are handmade from scratch I am able to mark the centers and drill the holes for the steel inserts before any shaping is done.

Just my 2 cents-

Ed Green
Budo Weapons
http://www.budoweapons.com

Posted on: 2006/11/13 11:36

Villager
From Tulare, California
Group:
師導士会 :: Shidoshikai
Mr. Green if you have time to spend on this forum, maybe after fifteen weeks you can find time to send my order, or return my money.

Perry Rich

Posted on: 2006/11/14 9:39

Frequent Visitor
Group:
ouch

Posted on: 2006/11/14 10:46

Honorary Villager
From Colorado, USA
Group:
One other note I'd add to this discussion (which I think has had some excellent comments) is this:

"appropriate length of weapons"

although I've seen the bo referred to as rokushaku bo, which denotes a fixed length, I've also seen bo as long as 8 feet (try spinning that one neatly!), and as short as a jo staff. We try to train with different length staffs in my shidoshi's dojo so that you learn spacing as a function of the real weapon length, not an expected length.

One view I've heard is that the length of the staff should be related to your body - since it's moved by your body.

Thus a bo staff becomes head height or a bit more.

A jo staff comes to your armpit and is easily disguised or used as a walking staff.

A hanbo, half bo, is of a length such that with one end on the ground and your palm resting on top of it, you can easiliy sink to grasp the staff at the 1/3 point.

Just something to consider - maybe if you are 5'2", an appropriate bo staff might be closer to 5 feet long and a bit easier to carry/maneuver? Hope that helps!

P.S. Perhaps the sniping should be moved to PM?

Posted on: 2006/11/15 2:01

« 1 (2)

[Advanced Search]

Today's Sponsor