Register now!
Socialize

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

What's going on at Hombu?
Kutaki Postmaster
From Kentucky USA
Group:
村民 :: Villager
I'd like to start a new thread here and I hope it stay on topic. Most of my threads seem to stray. LOL!

I 'd like to ask those who are living in Japan and training at Hombu or even anyone who has been there lately for a visit: "What has Soke been working on lately?"

I know what the theme for the year is and all but to prepare myself for my return I would like to know what the recent topics of discussion have been and what waza have been shown.

Please feel free to respond no matter what your rank is, I am interested in hearing everyone's thoughts.

Thank You!

Sean Askew
Bujinkan Kokusai Renkoumyo
bkrninpo@windstream.net
bkrninpo@aol.com

Posted on: 2006/8/31 4:23

Re: What's going on at Hombu?
村長 :: Sonchou
From Budapest - Hungary
Group:
議長 :: Mod
村長 :: Admin
Hm, okay, you asked for it:

I've returned just 2 weeks ago and been there for two weeks.
What Hatsumi Sensei was trying to emphasize (I think at least) is acting naturally, whatever comes, just be natural. (hint)
Okay, okay, I know I am cheeky, so I back off now

Eva

Posted on: 2006/8/31 5:47

Honorary Villager
From London, UK
Group:
After my trip earlier this month I can say one seemingly constant message I got was misdirection. Soke was constantly misdirecting attention of the audience as much as the uke. He even revealed one of his tricks at one point saying (paraphrased), "everyone thinks I'm throwing him with this, but I'm actually throwing him with that!" and showed us what was actually effecting the uke's balance.

Along with that came quite a bit of work on how to move uke's weight around and lock up the spine without technique, get weapons into uke's 'danger' zones unnoticed, and how to cover if own 'danger' zones are entered.

There is a ton more that is going on hopefully others can pipe in and share.

I'm off to find a good book on Magik/Illusions, anyone have any suggestions? :)

Posted on: 2006/8/31 6:23

From Chiba, Japan
Group:
Sean,

One of the big things I think Sensei is focusing on this year is the concept of changing one strike into another. He is doing a lot of multiple hits in the same "extension", changing from a fudoken, to a shuto, to a boshi or shito-ken for example. He has specifically mentioned a number of times that this is one of the things he is focusing on this year, so I think it will be something to look for when you come over.

James wrote:
Quote:

I'm off to find a good book on Magik/Illusions, anyone have any suggestions? :)

I could recommend a book, but I think probably you are talking about visual illusions rather than mental/psychological/spiritual illusions, so I'll keep that rabbit in the hat, so to speak... :)

Good luck,

Shawn

Posted on: 2006/8/31 10:43
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Kutaki Postmaster
From Kentucky USA
Group:
Hello Shawn!

Thank you very much for your response. You gave me exactly what I was looking for.

I should have known that I could count on you for a good description of the latest training at Honbu.

I know you a very familiar with Togakushi Mountain as well. Would you be interested in leading a group up through paths to the top when we go late this fall?

I have never been able to make it the whole way. (I am afraid of heights I am embarrased to say).
But this fall I plan to overcome my fear and go all the way.

I would be honored for you to lead the way for us!

See you soon and thanks again,

Sean

Posted on: 2006/8/31 12:22

Active Kutakian
Group:
I was only there for two weeks at the end of June, but during that time Soke spoke a lot about Iken Hasso, with the idea that from one thing come all things. Endless henka.

He also spoke one night about gyoun-ryusyu.

Then he spoke about joshiki and how there are many people with brilliant technique, but if you meet technique with technique you will be defeated. He urged us to not do the expected, the standard, the normal. If we do what we think budo is or what we think fighting is we will be easily controlled and defeated. He said that it is because he doesn't do what is expected that we find ourselves floating and then panic and are turned inside out.

At least that's what my notes say. (^o^) I am certain that many others have a much better grasp on these ideas than I do.

Posted on: 2006/8/31 12:47

[Insert witticism of choice here]

From Chiba, Japan
Group:
Quote:

SeanAskew wrote:
Hello Shawn!

Thank you very much for your response. You gave me exactly what I was looking for.

I should have known that I could count on you for a good description of the latest training at Honbu.

Well, I am only going to Honbu once a week these days, so there are probably quite a number of people who are getting more information than I am. :)

Quote:

I know you a very familiar with Togakushi Mountain as well. Would you be interested in leading a group up through paths to the top when we go late this fall?

I have never been able to make it the whole way. (I am afraid of heights I am embarrased to say).
But this fall I plan to overcome my fear and go all the way.

I would be honored for you to lead the way for us!

I take my dojo group up every year in July. I've gone a number of times alone and with friends, but this year was the 6th annual trip for the dojo group. Some pics that people took are linked from the dojo news page here.

It would be an honour to go up with your group - just let me know when you know the dates.

( 2 weeks after we climbed Togakushi, Jeremy (another Kutaki admin) and I climbed the mountain next to it, Mt. Takatsuma. Its about 400m higher than Togakushi, and was quite a challenging climb, especially since we got caught in a lightning storm on a barren ridge... a bit scary, but we made it back alive. :) )

Shawn

Posted on: 2006/8/31 13:38

Occasional Visitor
Group:
"I'm off to find a good book on Magik/Illusions, anyone have any suggestions? :)"

I've had this book for a couple of years, quality all the way... if you're serious about slieght of hand.
"Bobo's Modern Coin Magic". Shoud be in any 'magic store'. Google it too.

Hope you find what you're looking for.

Posted on: 2006/8/31 20:01

Kutaki Postmaster
From Kentucky USA
Group:
Shawn,

Glad to hear you are interested in leading our group up the mountain! I will be in touch with you about the trip after I arrive in Japan next month. The dates are still unclear because some people from the States are interested in going as well as a few Europeans. I am trying to figure out a date that will be good for all of us.

I spent almost two hours last night looking at your huge collection of photos! Looks like you have had some good times up there! Hope we can add to the memories.

Maybe I will start another thread on Mt. Togakushi so everone can tell us about their experiences there.

Take care and thanks for being such a good sport after all the stupid things I have said to you in the past.

THUNDERSTORM ON A BARREN RIDGE!!!!! You must be kidding! How do you think I am going to overcome my fear of heights after hearing about that?????

Maybe that would be the perfect way to do so, eh?

Sean Askew

Posted on: 2006/9/1 2:18

[Advanced Search]

Today's Sponsor