fskopfpatro

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Event Calendar
Villager
From USA, PA
Group:
Gaijin (Inactive)
Sonchou,
I think the event calendar is a big step forward along with other innovations such as the wiki. Thankyou for this continuing free service and the podcasts.

I do have some frustrations with the new calendar though. Mainly when I try and find seminars near me in the coming months. Looking at the calendar I see only a truncated snippet of what has been included by the poster. This doesn't always tell me who is teaching and where they are teaching until I go into the actual link and find out.

On the one hand I may be a product of a drive thru, fast food, caffeine drinking, bluetooth, oil crazy, highspeed wireless society, in which case I apologize for mentioning it and will watch the movie 'Click' 100 times.

But on the other hand maybe there is room for refinement and I know some negative feedback is better than no feedback at all.

Posted on: 2006/9/1 4:35
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Event Calendar
村長 :: Sonchou
From Chiba, Japan
Group:
村長 :: Admin
村民 :: Villager
Dont Post,

(You did!)

Thanks for the feedback.

I think that almost any calendar system is going to involve a "month view", and that naturally will involve space constraints. One way I can see to get around this is if people submitting information keep the subject of the seminar concise and succinct. For example "Bujinkan Seminar with" is a bit redundant, since that is basically all that the Event Calendar is used for in the first place. Those 3 words take up space that could be used to convey more useful information, like the name of the instructor.

Barring that, do you have any suggestions as to how we could improve the layout or display of information?

Hope things are going well with work, and hope to see you back in Japan again soon,

Shawn

Posted on: 2006/9/1 11:03

Re: Event Calendar
Villager
From USA, PA
Group:
Gaijin (Inactive)
Sonchou,
I'm certainly not living up to my name am I.

Anyway I did have a few ideas.

1) Change the form and the fields used on the display

First of all the days in the calendar look like they can hold about two or three fields or 33 characters. Maybe on the form instead of using just description for the data you could use a combination of fixed length fields from the user:

Eg 1 Country/State 10 chars
2 Host 10 chars
3 Teacher/s 10 chars

Then you can either concatenate to 32 (adding two blank spaces in between) or create three lines one above the other.

2) Mouse over options

I am not sure about the build you used for this site so I am going on a hunch, but it should be possible to display extra data in the browser status bar or as a tool tip when you mouse over the text or day entry.

Thats the best I could come up with at the moment. Hope its useful/possible. Maybe a seminar feedback page too as an after thought?

I just downloaded podcasts 26 and 27, looking forward to listening to them. Keep up the great job.

Posted on: 2006/9/20 7:23

[Advanced Search]

Today's Sponsor