Recent Topics

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 3 (4)

Re: Which books would you recommend?
Kutaki Postmaster
Group:
村民 :: Villager
Quote:
Anyway this book, as you mentioned before, is the interpretation of its Author and those who gave him support on his project, one of them is Shihan Steven Frolich (15th Dan - Germany), so you mean he is not a "good instructor?"

Mr Froelich may or may not be a good instructor in the Bujinkan, it matters little if he is not well versed in the waza of Gyokko Ryu in this case. This book has been discussed before and I remember looking at the illustrations shown (seems to be of the waza Ketsu Myaku from Jou ryaku no maki) and it didnt take me 3 seconds to spot a mistake. I do like the illustrations though and the idea is good. Did the author get approval from Hatsumi senseifor the book? Did he ask him or any Menkyo Kaiden holder to help or check with the details of the book?

Best regards / Skuggvarg

Posted on: 2010/10/26 1:07
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Honorary Villager
Group:
I know only what I heard during a seminar, it was mentioned by one of the attendants (do not remember his name) that the idea was approved by Hatsumi Sensei who ask Shihan Frolich to be the support of this project, anyway I can not put my hands on the fire for it because I was not there.

What I know for fact, is a conversation I had with Shihan Frolich here in NJ, where he told me about how the book have being wrote and how the illustrator is able to create the kata sequences, the process is very interesting and is based on their regular training over there.

Anyway is a great tool, the concept is fantastic but I use more than one resource in order to be more precise.

Posted on: 2010/10/26 1:45
Tel. +1 (609) 379-BUYU (2898)
Fax. (484) 727-0538

Click here for Passaic Bujinkan Buyu website

Village Old Timer
Group:
議長 :: Mod
Quote:

luisfdoh wrote:
Anyway is a great tool, the concept is fantastic but I use more than one resource in order to be more precise.

I appreciate this honesty. Keep in mind that if you need multiple sources for correctness it probably means you don't have a solid connection to the 'one' source, which is Soke.

Also, to play devil's advocate, what if you have three sources, two of which agree but it is the otherone which is (more) correct? You would follow the two simply because they agreed with each other which would be heading you in the wrong direction.

Posted on: 2010/10/29 12:33

Honorary Villager
Group:
I will keep it in mind, and probably it is right; I act as a responsible instructor who use "different resources" to show different possibilities, of course Soke is the main resource and the fact that my home is far away from him, fracture some how this relation, how ever, even Soke has made different tools to keep the connection (videos, books, etc.) that in my case they are the "different resources" who support my teaching; but definitely our taijutsu grows up when we attend Seminars, workshops and events under qualifies instructors, such as my Shihan Jack Hoban. Any other suggestion to keep the connection with Soke when you are in another Continent?

Posted on: 2010/10/30 0:30
Fax. (484) 727-0538

Kutaki Postmaster
Group:
Quote:
Any other suggestion to keep the connection with Soke when you are in another Continent?

Here are my suggestions:
1. Get close to those close to Soke. If you cant have connection to a japanese shihan, find a western one who does.
2. Learn to read and speak japanese
3. Go to Japan as often as you can and while there train with shihans and try to establish contact (see point #1)
4. Read all books you can find on the subject of japanese martial arts.

Regards/ Skuggvarg

Posted on: 2010/10/30 2:03

Honorary Villager
Group:
Good points, I have to work hard in Japanese writing then.

Thanks, :)

Posted on: 2010/10/30 4:04
Fax. (484) 727-0538

Occasional Visitor
From usa
Group:
Does anyone have any opinions on the Bujinkan Budô Densho series of books?

Thank you,

Posted on: 2014/4/12 11:31

Occasional Visitor
From usa
Group:
Does anyone have any opinions on the Bujinkan Budô Densho series of books?

Thank you,

Posted on: 2014/4/12 11:35

Active Kutakian
From Boise, ID
Group:
bklynjames, you've made this posted a few time, I'm just going to respond to it here. All they are are pictures, drawings actually. They show the sequence of movement of techniques. If your teacher is teaching you the wazas of the schools, then it can help to go along with your own class notes. If your teacher isn't teaching these (as you noted in an earlier post that you are realizing the wazas aren't so much important but rather what you get from them) at the moment, then they won't help you at all. While you can see a sequence of movement from drawings, there isn't any text and no instruction, so they won't help you learn the correct way to do the wazas or what the key lessons to learn from them are. If you get to a point where your instructor is teaching you the wazas, then sure, because they can help you remember what you were taught in class. In most Bujinkan schools I've been to, you will focus on TenChJin stuff up till Shodan, then get more focussed ryuha training in the upper black belt levels. If this is the case, your teacher will teach you from his notes, which are like your schools own densho, you can then make your notes from these. Get it? Then, with the class instruction, and the notes, then the books can be a useful aid.

Posted on: 2014/4/14 23:35

« 1 2 3 (4)

[Advanced Search]

Today's Sponsor