Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Latest Episode / New Feed
Active Kutakian
From Sydney, Australia
Group:
村民 :: Villager
Hi Shawn,

I'll tell a little story here hope you find it interesting. I'm not sure of my aim in telling it, I guess to show how what you are doing helps bring people together. God, the internet really is an amazing thing and does make this world a bit smaller and it opens up opportunities ... and can bring us together as martial artists.

A year and a half ago I was at a bar with a friend. I see this nice girl (lets call her Mary) and start talking to her only to find out she has a boyfriend. Oh well, that's how it goes. Having been single (at the time) I was doing internet dating and a few weeks later wrote a girl on the internet only to discover she was the same girl I met 3 weeks earlier in the pub! Freaky! (she'd ended her relationship by then). Things never went anywhere and we never met but it was funny at the time.

A year passes before I finally meet a lovely girl through internet dating and within 2 months we are living together (still together and very happy!). Thank god for the internet hey?!

About 4 weeks after I'd met my lovely new girlfriend she runs into her friend at the train station just down the road from where we live. In chatting my girlfriend realises that her friend is Mary, the one I met in the pub a whole year earlier ... freaky! My girlfriend and her had been friends for years. Not only that, but she lives in the next apartment block from us!!!

Where is this going ... bear with me. Just before Xmas I tell me girlfriend of my desire to start martial arts. In my searching around my girlfiend comments that Mary's new fiancee teaches a martial arts but she can't remember what its called. After some inquiry I find out its Bujinkan. So amazingly, here I am living right next door to a Shihan and it all started by meeting a lovely girl through the internet some several months earlier. So now I train with him regularly and completely love it. I feel my life has transformed in the last seven months, having met this lovely girl but now also having found a good teacher and great martial art that I'm passionate about. But none of this would have been possible without the internet.

After learning about Bujinkan I started reading a lot and searching the web for resources. I soon found this forum and on the same day listened to one of your podcasts. Having started the training I also started researching equipment and tabi. Last week I came across Andrew Young's tabi and I'm not sure if it clicked for you but that was me that emailed you last week enquiring about why stock wasn't being made anymore. It was only in reading your post in this thread that I realise who you were!! (BTW, did you get my second email? I understand if you didn't get time to respond.)

Anyway, I hope in some way this brings alive the reality that the internet, and what is going on in this forum, can and does change lives. Its great to be able to discuss and share matter relating to Bujinkan with people all over the world. I think your podcasts are a great contribution, but I have to admit I don't know the proper way to register a podcast so that it is tracked. I can only seem to get it to work by downloading the MP3's.

That said, I sincerely understand the time and commitment it must take to do these. If its not possible to continue the work yourself due to other commitments, maybe its possible to hand it over to someone who is willing to continue the work so that the legacy can continue - much like you took over the tabi distribution. Just a thought.

All the best,
Dean

PS. Still considering the tabi, my birthday is just around the corner so I might get my girlfriend to purchase me some.

Posted on: 2007/1/15 9:56
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Occasional Visitor
From London, Ontario, Canada
Group:
We appreciate the info for finding the lost ten ipodsodes.

Also appreciated is the next one on its way. We hope they will continue, as we have things to add and suggest for making this the all time #1, health and fitness podcast.

The audio quality has improved tremendously, and the content is starting to shape up nicely too.

If I may make some suggestions for an ideal listening experience, please keep in mind that these are only suggestions based on what you have done thus far.

My students and I think of this podcast as an audio ninja magazine.

1} Intro, table of contents for quick reference.
2} Meditation session, with some traditional Japanese music.
3} Thought of the week... Phrase of the week...?
4} Dietary considerations. Good for you, bad for you...?
5} Strength training segment.
6} Bujinkan training segment.
7} Kaizen brief or related Japanese folklore or mystic words of wisdom.
8} Musical interlude of any nature. (as you have been, good work!)
9} Hatsumi lesson...? Of any nature.

I hope this helps, I do not aim to breed contempt, only making suggestions or more likely, requests. We are currently recording roundtable discussions to submit for your podcasts if you wish.

Please keep the pod casts coming, it is hard enough to find things Bujinkan We love it.

Posted on: 2007/1/15 16:33

Villager
Group:
師導士会 :: Shidoshikai
Quote:

kouryuu wrote:
New episodes... I might have time to crank one out today... To be honest, my enthusiasm is waning. The feedburner stats tell me that there are only 38 subscribers. I have a feeling there are probably a lot more people who listen (for example those who listen via the podblog website), but I don't really have a reliable way of getting stats for users who don't subscribe via the feed at http://feeds.feedburner.com/kutakinoha . I only get mail or PM feedback from listeners about once every 2 episodes - not very much. Noone sends in audio comments except one person who has sent in two. People sent in music a few times during the first few episodes, but that soon dropped off. I understand that this type of information coming out of Japan is appreciated by some people, but I'm not really feeling that its a very rewarding exercise in proportion to the amount of energy that it requires.
Shawn

I'm sorry to hear that your enthusiasm is waning....I never got it to work really with the feed, but I'm enjoying the podcast whenever there is a new one...downloading the mp3...nothing better to listen to during long flight hours...please continue Shawn!!!

Best regards

Peter Carlsson
Malmö Taijutsuklubb - Bujinkan Dojo

Posted on: 2007/1/15 21:23

Kutaki Postmaster
From Dublin, Ireland
Group:
Yes, I too could never get the iTunes feed to work, but I did download it directly and have enjoyed all of podcasts.

Please don't give up based on a perceived lack of interest - I think the interest is there, but I understand how it could be disheartening to think you are throwing this work out into cyberspace but don't know if anyone is listening.

Posted on: 2007/1/15 23:17

Cant Stay Offline
From Hamina, Finland
Group:
議長 :: Mod
師導士会 :: Shidoshikai
This is becoming a "Plead for Kutaki no ha" thread so I too DL the MP3 to entertain me on my strolls in the... wild... Well, Hamina ain't that wild, but...

Posted on: 2007/1/16 1:04
(Bujinkan Budōka since 1985)

Honorary Villager
Group:
This is one of the things I love about buyu.A sign of trouble and they are there.I was just on last night,and this morning so many posts.This is deffinetly(sp)a wonderful place to be. /Jason

Posted on: 2007/1/16 2:30

Just Passing Through
From Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Group:
Well, I'm fairly new to the Kutaki village and I have been reading all of the posts, I'm managed to download most of the past podcasts in mp3 format and I just can't get enough of them. I listen daily on my commute to work. I just wanted to take this chance to finally make my first post to say: Keep it up Shawn, you're hard work is certainly appreciated, and I too am waiting desperately for the next episode.

Gambatte Kudasai!

Jason Ley
Alberta, Canada

Posted on: 2007/1/20 16:34

Village Old Timer
Group:
議長 :: Mod
Quote:

ForestCityBujinkan wrote:
1} Intro, table of contents for quick reference.
2} Meditation session, with some traditional Japanese music.
3} Thought of the week... Phrase of the week...?
4} Dietary considerations. Good for you, bad for you...?
5} Strength training segment.
6} Bujinkan training segment.
7} Kaizen brief or related Japanese folklore or mystic words of wisdom.
8} Musical interlude of any nature. (as you have been, good work!)
9} Hatsumi lesson...? Of any nature.

This is quite the well thought out list. The problem is, who puts this together? Surely, this can come from many sources. Shawn has already expressed how his enthusiasm is waning in consideration of lack of feedback, statistical appreciation, and contributions. Although, it's nice of everyone to post on here how much they like the podcast, perhaps we should be considering how we can contribute to the podcast, lighten the load on the producer, and attract more people. Kutaki, as a forum, is what it is because of all the people who participate. Kutaki no Ha should be much the same.

Posted on: 2007/1/20 21:31

Just Passing Through
From New Mexico
Group:
Shawn,
I am also new to kutaki and to the bujinkan. I recently subscribed to the podcast and have been listening to all of the episodes as well as reading through the posts. I love your forum and especially the podcast and hope you find the time to continue. I agree that if we like it so much, we should get involved. I personally would like to help in any way I can. Let us know what we can do!!!
David

Posted on: 2007/2/8 19:11

« 1 (2)

[Advanced Search]

Today's Sponsor