Dpinga

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 4 ... 6 »

how takamatsu sensei lost his eye...
Active Kutakian
From Rome, GA
Group:
村民 :: Villager
i was talking to a guy in chinatown the other day and we were discussing takamatsu sensei. he asked if i knew why takamatsu always had paintings of cranes around and i said no. he then told me that it was because he had lost his eye to a crane practicioner, and kept them around to keep himself humble. has anyone heard this?? what do you think?

Posted on: 2006/11/14 13:59

Re: how takamatsu sensei lost his eye...
Active Kutakian
Group:
lost an eye?

you mean all those videos i've seen showing him he's wearing a glass eye?

in all my research i never read that he lost an eye. an eardrum maybe...

ask your friend again maybe he mistook takamatsu for someone else.

or maybe i'm wrong on this one...

Posted on: 2006/11/14 21:00

"Don't ask me. I need time to practice rather than answering to it." - Harada Masanori

just playing the ONI's advocate!
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Village Old Timer
Group:
議長 :: Mod
There are many stories of Takamatsu sensei taking out someone else's eye.

Posted on: 2006/11/14 21:40

Kutaki Postmaster
From Sydney, Australia
Group:
I have actually read somewhere, over the years, that he did in fact loose an eye in one of his many fights. Sorry, but i cannot remember where i read it, so i cannot reference it for you at this particular time, but if i do recall, i will add to this thread.

Posted on: 2006/11/15 2:21

Permanent Village Fixture
From Centerville, Ohio
Group:
http://www.geocities.com/mrdsouza/takamatsu.html
At the bottom is says "*Material taken from Quest"

http://www.usadojo.com/biographies/toshitsugu-takamatsu.htm
Right in the middle.

I had forgotten that I had heard this before but a google search found a few places that say it, seemingly the same source.

Posted on: 2006/11/15 3:10

Active Kutakian
Group:
i stand corrected...

sheesh, he had a glass eye, a impaired ear and had a gut perforation, and he can kick around youngsters half of his age?!

no wonder hatsumi sensei always say "keep going"!

Posted on: 2006/11/15 8:40

"Don't ask me. I need time to practice rather than answering to it." - Harada Masanori

just playing the ONI's advocate!

Kutaki Postmaster
Group:
It’s good to see the internet holds its place as a consistently reliable and accurate research tool.

Posted on: 2006/11/15 8:56

From Centerville, Ohio
Group:
The fact that someone says it doesn't mean that it is at all factual. I just found places that say it.

Well Mr. Duncan, is it true?

Posted on: 2006/11/15 11:00

Kutaki Postmaster
Group:
Quote:

Shinoobie wrote:
The fact that someone says it doesn't mean that it is at all factual. I just found places that say it.

Well Mr. Duncan, is it true?

Why do you need to know? The best answer I can think of is this:

Quote:

POINT OF VIEW: IS THE INTERNET HARMING THE BUJINKAN?
Masanori Harada
translated from the original Japanese by Martin Herlihy
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Recently, the development of the Internet and other networks has advanced to the point where even people who previously had no interest in personal computers have taken an interest in them. In the Bujinkan, the number of computer users has been increasing and they are designing home pages, etc. I also have access at my university and often view such home pages and receive newsletters. I had a chance to speak directly with Hatsumi Sensei about this topic, and at that time we exchanged opinions on the advantages and disadvantages of Internet usage with respect to martial arts training. Hatsumi Sensei asked me to convey a message regarding this issue, which is why I am contributing this article.
The Internet and other such networks are certainly convenient. For a researcher like myself, it is extremely convenient to be able to search for information and exchange mail. However, is it absolutely necessary for someone who is training in the martial arts? The creation of martial arts friendships and exchange of information is undoubtedly interesting, but doesn't it also have a harmful effect on martial arts training? In recent years I have read various articles and home pages about the Bujinkan and I felt that there were a great number of mistakes. These range from basic translation errors that any average Japanese would spot to incorrect information.

Hatsumi Sensei and I broadly discussed such points of view and he said, "when something becomes convenient something is also lost, isn't it?" For example, with the development of the automobile civilization people have lost important knowledge about "walking". In addition, Sensei stated, "instead of becoming focused on networks, they should work hard at their practice. They generally don't come to my practice, but they exchange information on histories and kata which they've read in books or interpreted however they please. It's such a waste!" What he means by "my practice" is not participation in overseas seminars, but making the effort to come to Japan and go to Hatsumi Soke's practice.

In closing, I have a message from Soke.

"If there is something that you want to know, ask me, the Juyushi who come to practice or their advisers!"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Masanori Harada is a Ph.D. student in Aeronautics and Astronautics at the University of Tokai. His research focuses on the optimal control of aircraft. He is also Vice-President of the Bujinkan Dojo Juyushi and can be reached at <aska@keyaki.cc.u-tokai.ac.jp>.
Martin Herlihy is a friend and student of the author. He works as a software engineer in Yokohama and can be reached at <martin@gol.com>.

http://www.oniko.de/archiv/uraomote/1996/96august.html#poin

Posted on: 2006/11/15 12:35

From Centerville, Ohio
Group:
I'm not sure why you're so hostile. For a person 'in the know' on many subjects, you appear not to be very helpful.

Do you scold your students for asking questions because they should have 'just shut up and train'?

No--I don't need to know, and I'm not the one who asked the question. Kindly get off my back. (I tried to help the poster and you've done nothing similar)

I would think that a person who drives people away would harm the Bujinkan more than a person who is wrong about information. If they're wrong, then stop them from harming the Bujinkan by setting the facts straight. No harm done then, right? That would be the helpful thing to do and get rid of a potential false piece of informatin, right?

Thanks.

Posted on: 2006/11/15 12:58

(1) 2 3 4 ... 6 »

[Advanced Search]

Today's Sponsor