Aomori-Ken 0 2018/6/19 10:27
hanzo-tou
Certificates 0 2018/5/8 4:34
schistkicker

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 4 5 »

Katana Inquiry
Deleted_
I am presently doing some research on the Katana for cutting/training. Presently I have found some sites that do look promising for buying a good katana. But at the present moment I cam across some literature stating "Katanas' typical blade length are 24 - 30 inces in length." "The length is not fixed, but individually adepted; when standing with the sword in the right hand the point of the blade should be about 1.5 inches above the ground." What are your thoughts on this description of the Katana? Also, what are good katanas or good sites to inquire about buying a good katana? I recently research Paul Chen's swords and found a couple practical swords a decent prices. What are your thoughts on these blades?

Posted on: 2007/1/3 8:45
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Katana Inquiry
Village Old Timer
Group:
村民 :: Villager
議長 :: Mod
You should ask your instructor, as he/she is the one who will be teaching you how to use it. If you don't have an instructor with enough knowledge of swordwork, then the best thing you can do is wait to buy your katana.

Posted on: 2007/1/3 10:31

Active Kutakian
From Boynton Beach, Florida
Group:
Paul Chen swords are good quality. I know several people with a P.C. Katana and they have no complaints.

Good luck and feel free to P.M. if you have any other questions.

Posted on: 2007/1/3 23:11

"Good, now this time do it with taijutsu"

Active Kutakian
From Rome, GA
Group:
i have a paul chen practical plus or something like that and i love it!!!

Posted on: 2007/1/4 5:11

Village Old Timer
From San Francisco, California, USA
Group:
I agree with Benkyoka. Another point to consider is that if you're going to get a shinken -- a "real" sword capable of cutting, whether it's a nihonto or not -- then you're not going to be "training" with it in class unless you and your instructor are totally irresponsible.

That said. . .Yes, Hanwei (Paul Chen) makes decent cutting swords for reasonable prices. So does Cheness (the "other Paul Chen", same name but no relation). I have a Cheness "Oniyuri" katana, presented to me by my dojo, which I like a lot. It was intended to be a shinobigatana -- has a 23-inch blade in a normal length saya. The 14-inch tsuka actually makes it sort of a Kukishin/Togakure hybrid, but I still like it. It's "beefy" yet well balanced for either two-handed or single-handed applications. . .

. . .And now, when the zombies attack, I'm going to be ready!!

Posted on: 2007/1/4 10:04

Kutaki Postmaster
From Chicago, IL
Group:
I would strongly caution you not to purchase a live blade unless you are recieving instruction specificly for this type of weapon, very serious injuries can and do occur. If you are just learning then a bokken will do nicely. You will need to "cut the air" hundreds of times before you are ready to cut a tatami mat otherwise you could damage your blade as well as incur a potentially lethal injury. Real blades are nothing like the stainless steel junk you see all over the internet.

That being said, if you are recieving instruction, your instructior should be able to provide you with good resourses.

I personally like the Paul Chen stuff, however if you are just beginning your best bet might be with a sword from Cheness as the spring sttel is incredibly forgiving to beginners....as well as safer.

I just tested two swords from Oni Forge for Bujinmag and I absolutely love them.

These are all inexpensive (relatively) blades of good quality.

Good luck!

Markk Bush
www.bujinmag.com

Posted on: 2007/1/4 10:18

Villager
From Texas
Group:
I am gonna have to agree with Mr Sked, Mr Seago, and Mr Bush.
A shinken is not a "one size fits all" purchase.
Unless you are receiving instruction from a teacher in JSA, it'd probably be best to wait on a live blade.
IMNSHO it should take many hours of training on proper body alignment, grip, and footwork before one attempts tameshigiri.

On the other hand if you are receiving the proper instruction then there are plenty of makers out there where you can buy a relatively inexpensive blade to start out with.
Paul Chen, Cheness, Cold Steel, Furuyama (I own a custom job from them), Last Legend 2000/ 3000 series of the 5 families line, and Chris Zhou to name a few.

As far as holding the blade in your right hand and it being 1.5" off the ground, hadn't heard about that one, so I can't comment on the validity of it.

If you have more questions pm me and I can direct you to someone who is very knowledgeable in this area.

Rob Acox

Posted on: 2007/1/4 11:34
"Come and take them!" King Leonidas' reply to Xerxes' demand the Spartans lay down their arms at the Battle of Thermopylae.

Villager
From Illinois USA
Group:
Excellent info all around, now for my two cents. First, sword measurement. This will depend on the ryu that you are practicing. Each would use a different lengthed sword. That being said a basic sword, as used by Kukishinden Ryu, would have a 12 inch tsuka(handle) and a 28 inch blade. On a more individualized level, Somea Sensei once told me that to measure the length grip the sword in your right hand near the tsuba, then stand up straight with the sword by your side and pointing straigth down. The pommel should be at a point just below your elbow, and the tip should just touch the floor right by your pinkie toe. This would obviously mean being able to hold the sword you intended to buy:)

Second, purchasing a sword. There are two places/types that I would recommend. The first is the Paul Chen Practical Plus. This is a very reasonable sword and an excellent beginners weapon. You can find these in a variety of places, I would suggest Mantis Swords as they are run by a Bujinkan Practicioner. The second in any of the products offered at www.tomu-martial-arts.com. The owner is again a Bujinkan member and an excellent fellow who will be more than happy to help you pick a sword that best fits your budget and ability. I would discourage you from going with any of Cold Steel's swords. I have been told by a reputable instructor that they can be dangerous to use for our purposes.

I hope you find what your looking for.

Jim Delorto

Posted on: 2007/1/5 0:56

Deleted_
Quote:

sanshin wrote:
I have been told by a reputable instructor that they can be dangerous to use for our purposes.

Jim Delorto

Just curious about this last statement. What are "our purposes"?

-DW

Posted on: 2007/1/5 6:53

Villager
From Newbury, Berkshire, UK
Group:
I also am curious at the 'dangerous to use for our purpose' statement. I have a Cold Steel chisa katana and have found it to be excelent in all respects so far, so any other info on that staement would be appreciated.

Thanks

Dave Giddings
Bujinkan Newbury Dojo
www.newburyninjutsu.co.uk

Posted on: 2007/1/5 6:59

(1) 2 3 4 5 »

[Advanced Search]

Today's Sponsor