Socialize

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 »

Re: Katana Inquiry
Kutaki Postmaster
From Chicago, IL
Group:
村民 :: Villager
The cold steel blades are forged in a way that makes them suceptable to cracking. I think "our use" means live cutting, a lot, not that it is exclusive to "us", but I could be wrong.

If a sword breaks or fragments durring live cutting it becomes a serious hazard to the user as well as the spectators.

The blade you own may not have cracked, but the way they are made makes them more likely than other blades to do so.

I was at the same seminar as Mr Deltoro when this was mentioned.

Markk Bush
www.bujinmag.com

Posted on: 2007/1/5 12:17
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Honorary Villager
Group:
I'm curious too about the cold steel swords. I own the warrior katana and the chisa and I thought they were spring steel and as far as I know spring steel should be highly resistant to cracking. Maybe they meant the tsuka, I know on the katana the tsuka has a crack in it and will need to be replaced if I intend to do any serious cutting with it.

Anyone else that has any further information and would like to chime in on this will be greatly appreciated.

Posted on: 2007/1/6 6:35

Deleted_
Quote:

Tengu6 wrote:

I was at the same seminar as Mr Deltoro when this was mentioned.

Markk Bush
www.bujinmag.com

Hey Markk --

Who was the original source for this?

I only ask because there is a huge chasm of misinformation out there on these things. As far as I know -- the VAST majority of Bujinkan guys don't do a LOT of live cutting -- hence my question.

Thanks -

-DW

Posted on: 2007/1/6 6:55

Kutaki Postmaster
From Chicago, IL
Group:
I agree Dan, but this guy is definately in the know. I dont want to put his name on here but I will PM you.

As far as the Cold Steel being Spring steel, I dont think they were at the time of the comment. I think spring steel is a good choice for new cutters as they are very resiliant.

Markk Bush
www.bujinmag.com

Posted on: 2007/1/6 12:09

Villager
From Illinois USA
Group:
Thanks for the assist Mark. I don't get to check to boards that much and I don't want people to think I was ducking the question. As with any information this could have been time specific, but stil better to be safe. As for the context I didn't remember the exact reason, thanks again Mark, only that the instructor refused to allow the swords for cutting in his school. His minimum requirement was the Paul Chen practical plus.

Hope this clears things up,

Jim D.

Posted on: 2007/1/6 18:00

Villager
From Newbury, Berkshire, UK
Group:
As the cold steel blades are now spring steel, is there anyway of checking with this instructor if that changes things? I only ask as I have the chisa katana, and have a few students that have it also. I would like to get a difinative answer on their safety before we do any tameshigiri in class.

Thanks

Dave Giddings
Bujinkan Newbury Dojo
www.newburyninjutsu.co.uk

Posted on: 2007/1/7 2:10

Kutaki Postmaster
From Chicago, IL
Group:
I will check for you, but I honestly dont think there are safety issues with spring steel, I have seen some intense stress tests on them. In fact, I bent my Cheness Shura katana 90 degrees and it went back to its original form.....my son cut right into the dowel with a Cheness Oniyuri and you can not even see a mark on the blade, no chiping or fractures at all.

the main issue with spring steel is that it doesnt give you the best feedback in terms of feel and technique...but it is a great starter blade.

FYI, I have been using a katana for several years and I still consider myself a beginner so please dont think I am condescending with this post.

with respect,
markk bush
www.bujinmag.com

Posted on: 2007/1/7 10:45

Frequent Visitor
From Norway
Group:
This is a good site: http://www.jidai.jp/
I would recomend purchasing directly from Japan, it is a lot cheaper and you are usually guaranteed professional work. I bought an iaito (non-sharp sword) from this site and my instructor told me it was good work for that price, somewhere between 30 and 40 000 yen. The mentioned site has some pretty lousy English but it is not impossible to use and the make several kinds of nihontou and you can usually customize the length etc. Like everyone else here has mentioned, a sharp sword is dangerous, that's what they are for. If I had practiced with a live sword I would probably be one leg less ...

Posted on: 2007/1/8 7:33

Deleted_
In addition to my first post....I did state that I was doing research on katanas. Perhaps others took my first post the wrong way or thought into the post too much. I do not intend to buy a katana anytime in the near future, I would not buy a katana until I have completed thorough research and with the utmost instruction of my instructor who would train me with it if I chose to learn to train with it. Also, it should be known that with my research i was mostly asking about types of blades and their blade lengths. I do thank everyone for their information and thoughts on the topic. Thank you again and I do wish everyone well in their training.

Posted on: 2007/3/18 9:06

Kutaki Postmaster
From Los Angeles
Group:
My opinion:

I have used the Paul Chen (PC) (Hanwei) Blades, Cold Steel, Last Legend and Oni Forge. So far I have liked both the Last Legend(LL)& Oni Forge blades, although it seems that Oni Forge (OF) tends to be a little more pricey than the Last Legend blades.

PC blaeds are okay but I havn't found them to be as good as LL or OF, unless you get one of their high dollar blades which I have seen crack and sometimes flawd in the hammon (temper line).

If you are going to use the blade for "tamishigiri" and are going to "abuse" it, there is no need for a folded blade. The "Differentially clay tempered" blades are perfect in both price and durability.

Feel free to call the companys and ask them. Most of them are very willing in helping you make the right decision. You can PM me for more info or recomendations

Posted on: 2007/3/19 13:09

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 »

[Advanced Search]

Today's Sponsor