Dpinga

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Live Chat Room
村長 :: Sonchou
From Chiba, Japan
Group:
村長 :: Admin
村民 :: Villager
In response to the previous poll, I've added a live chat module to the site. It can be accessed from the "Live Chat" link in the Main Menu on the left side of the page. There are still a couple of bugs to work out, but other than that I think its pretty functional, so have at it as you will.

Best wishes,

Shawn

Posted on: 2007/1/6 0:22

Gurei Dojo | Blog
Facebook
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Live Chat Room
From Budapest - Hungary
Group:
議長 :: Mod
Awsome! Thank you very much!
Eva

Posted on: 2007/1/6 1:29

Cant Stay Offline
From Sacramento, CA (USA)
Group:
Ok, I've hung around the chat room for almost 2 whole work days and only had one other person pop on and say 'hi' to me! Unfortunately, I was actually working at my desk at the moment and didn't notice until they signed off.

Previous visitors seem to hit and miss with each other at various hours, but few and far between!

Is this something nobody is really interested in? Or are all Kutakians in so many different time zones as to never be awake at the same time?

So, for all to see, I will sign on to chat tomorrow at work (8am - 4pm EST US time zone) if anybody wants to pop on and chat a bit. So, the door is open and I'm buying!

Posted on: 2007/1/18 8:44

I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, or in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. ~ Thomas Jefferson

Cant Stay Offline
Group:
Quote:

Darren wrote:
So, for all to see, I will sign on to chat tomorrow at work (8am - 4pm EST US time zone) if anybody wants to pop on and chat a bit. So, the door is open and I'm buying!

Poop! I meant to say 8am - 4pm PACIFIC Standard Time. That's West Coast US time for those of you who went to public school. Oh, and that's 0800-1600 for those of you who like 24 hour time.

Hope to chat with ya!

Posted on: 2007/1/18 9:10

I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, or in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. ~ Thomas Jefferson

Active Kutakian
From Sydney, Australia
Group:
Hi Darren,

From experience, time zones and peoples schedules can make it hard to catch people online to chat unless you have a large enough community of users so that invariably someone is always on.

Shawn: can I offer a suggestion. Down the bottom right on this webpage it shows who is online and browsing. Is it possible to add a "invite person to chat" option after clicking the "more" link - the person who's invited can then "accept" or reject with "sorry, I dont' have time". Or, when someone signs in can the forum somehow prompt people that "x,y, and z are currently in the chat rooms". Or another idea, have a small counter at the top of the screen all the time that says "currently in chat rooms: 3" or something.

I'm not sure if others have ideas here.

Dean

Posted on: 2007/1/19 5:49

Cant Stay Offline
Group:
A floating window would also help for being able to browse/use the forums and chat at the same time. I have to open 2 browsers to be able to do that - not that it's any biggie, but it would just streamline it and make it more user friendly.

Also, I think the number of characters is too limited. Or, maybe I'm just not good at choppy sentence structures.

All in all, it's been interesting today with the few conversations I've had thus far.

Posted on: 2007/1/19 6:19

From Budapest - Hungary
Group:
Ok then one more suggestion from me, too:
It seems that when I'm in the chat area, the whole browser window is being automatically refreshed in every few seconds.
It's quite annoying, especially when I'm in the midst of typing a longer sentence - it gets completely lost if I'm not quick enough to submit it.

The same problem is with scrolling up and seeing a bit of previous convos. Although I try to scroll up to see what people were chatting about e.g. two hours ago, just when I find the line, the window refreshes again and I am back at the bottom again without being able to read over some earlier chats.

Just FYI

Eva

Posted on: 2007/1/19 15:51

From Chiba, Japan
Group:
Sorry guys, this is the best I can do for the time being. I'll try to find another module that works better, but that is all I can do at the moment - canned modules for the software that Kutaki runs. I have no time to custom-code anything. If someone out there is a php coder who is capable of doing this, please let me know by email or PM.

Thanks,

Shawn

Posted on: 2007/1/19 20:06

Gurei Dojo | Blog
Facebook

Cant Stay Offline
Group:
THANK YOU Shawn for all you do - even with all the bugs, the chat feature is a nice thing and I appreciate you trying out new things with Kutaki.

I was logged into it all day yesterday and, even with all the little challenges, had a fantastic time chatting with various people throughout the day. We talked about weather, airplane droppings, brown gi pants, our jobs, army life, and so on. Only a small moment was spent regarding our training (Buyu Camp, current theme and training outdoors). It felt like the kind of conversations we would have after training, sitting around a table of grub and drinks - without the price tag.

Overall, it allowed for the kind of friendly chat that can't be done on the regular forums. This kind of communication is essential and valuable in establishing a real buyu relationship. I learned some great things about the folks I chatted with and feel even closer to them because of it.

So, even with all the little nuances, I highly recommend this feature to our Kutaki friends and hope that more will take advantage of it.

Cheers!

Posted on: 2007/1/20 2:18

Active Kutakian
From Sydney, Australia
Group:
Shawn,

There are already heaps of web chats you can get the open source for. I just did a bit of browsing and found these. Maybe you can integrate one of them into this website instead of using the canned one you currently have. You mentioned PHP so I focused more on that, although I've also listed some flash and java options.

This one is flash based. If you choose to go with this one I'm willing to pitch in some of the $$ to buy it. I'm sure some other Kutakian's would help there too.
http://www.tufat.com/category5.htm

Another one in PHP/mySQL
http://freshmeat.net/projects/mohacha ... d=68018&release_id=245416

A Java one
http://freecs.sourceforge.net/

And here is a whole bunch in PHP. Not sure if you have to buy any of them though.
http://www.hotscripts.com/PHP/Scripts ... s/Chat_Scripts/index.html

Anyway, I hope that helps and doesn't mean having to code stuff from scratch. No point re-inventing the wheel.

Note: That was just a quick 5 minute search, I may get time later to have a more thorough browse around and narrow it down to some of the best free ones on the market. Let me know how you go.

Dean

Posted on: 2007/1/20 7:55

[Advanced Search]

Today's Sponsor