« 1 2 (3)

Re: Speed??
Cant Stay Offline
From Sacramento, CA (USA)
Group:
村民 :: Villager
村長 :: Admin
議長 :: Mod
Thanks, Daniel, for the clarification/explanation. That makes sense to me and, I can see the application of your methodology.

I guess for me being fast really is just being efficient with kinetics - and intent. For instance, often when an uke starts his attack, I can literally see so many little motions before his body propels forward. These motions have little to do with the actual driving energy of the attack, but present themselves just the same. The reasons for this have to do with a lack of syncronization and use of balance. In the case in point, there's a tendancy with inexperienced uke to shift weight to their left leg, then step forward with their right leg for a right tsuki. It's as if they need to take away weight from their right leg in order to unattach it from the ground, but then have to put the weight back into it to propel forward on it. This is incorrect movement and uses inefficency - thus time - to launch the forward attack.

By keeping the weight and energy transfer correctly placed across the right leg, up the body and through the strike in one motion forwards, the tsuki moves more efficiently and accurately. There isn't any lapse in time caused by the adjustment and the attack is, in essence, faster because of it.

So, speed becomes a byproduct of good efficiency in movement. The efficiency is the goal, speed isn't.

The mistake comes when speed becomes the goal over correct movement and the uke throws himself into bad kamae trying to get the attack out there as fast as he/she can. That's why I am down on just 'speed training' as a thing by itself, which is what the original poster was getting at.

Another example is in using a bo thrust to the eyes from Seigan no Kamae or similar kamae where there's a linear line of the weapon (and body alignment) to the uke's line of sight. The forward attack stays on this line and moves in the same efficient manner as above. This creates the illusion of time/space. By the time the uke realizes the weapon is coming at them, it's already too late for the body to respond and they get hit.

Compare that kind of reaction time to a typical baseball bat kind of swing where the line of motion is a wide arc. The attack is percieved as slower and the uke's mind/body has much more time to react.

Both examples can use the same speed, but the first is faster due to the direct, efficient use of energy. It's an exaggerated example, but I hope it illustrates my point of where training focus is best placed in my opinion.

Posted on: 2007/1/12 3:19

I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, or in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. ~ Thomas Jefferson
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Village Old Timer
From Matsudo City, Chiba, Japan
Group:
Faster reaction time - you can learn to be faster over time, but your reaction time diminishes with age. I found some good sources about reaction time here - http://biae.clemson.edu/bpc/bp/Lab/110/reaction.htm

Can you really become faster? Are men faster than women? Do lefties really have an advantage? There are lots of sources and results of experiments presented there.

About moving faster - I move slower and slower every year! I'm slowing down to glacial speeds! In another 50 or so years, I'll just stop altogether...

Posted on: 2007/1/12 15:16

Kutaki Postmaster
Group:
Quote:

Tessen wrote:
Are men faster than women?

Well ...... ummmmmm

Posted on: 2007/1/12 16:03

Cant Stay Offline
From Hamina, Finland
Group:
師導士会 :: Shidoshikai
Quote:

Since Darren asked -- I tend to practice very slowly until I get it. Then speed it up. Then red line it -- to find out where the problems are -- then go back to slow to fix the problems that weren't evident slowly. Then Red line it again... then fix. Rinse and repeat -- until satisfied. But -- SPECIFICALLY -- I look for being fast and smooth. I figure slow and smooth isn't that hard -- but fast and smooth is quite difficult.

Sounds very much like the Shu-ha-ri prosess. I use this myself, as I've been instructed to do.

Quote:

In the case in point, there's a tendancy with inexperienced uke to shift weight to their left leg, then step forward with their right leg for a right tsuki. It's as if they need to take away weight from their right leg in order to unattach it from the ground, but then have to put the weight back into it to propel forward on it. This is incorrect movement and uses inefficency - thus time - to launch the forward attack.

This comes to Kamae, I think. Talking this deep about speed might be inappropriate on a forum like this - won't work as words versus actions tend not to convey similarly...

Posted on: 2007/1/12 17:43
(Bujinkan Budōka since 1985)

Cant Stay Offline
From Sacramento, CA (USA)
Group:
村長 :: Admin
Quote:

Yamazu wrote:
This comes to Kamae, I think. Talking this deep about speed might be inappropriate on a forum like this - won't work as words versus actions tend not to convey similarly...

Yeah, I knew I was stretching it a bit when I wrote it. I actually had other examples but found this one to be the easiest to try to explain.

I think overall I've made my main point, so I think I'm done for now.

Happy training!

Posted on: 2007/1/13 2:31

I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, or in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. ~ Thomas Jefferson

« 1 2 (3)

[Advanced Search]

Today's Sponsor