Thank you Jason

Jason Roberts

Posted on: 2007/1/24 5:58
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: kukishinden ryu
Kutaki Postmaster
Group:
村民 :: Villager
I stand by my original opinions expressed here.

I am also reminded that it is bad to prove someone “wrong”. In old Japan to prove someone wrong could often push them into a position of having to commit seppuku so is something to be strictly avoided even if they are wrong.

I am reminded of an incident in which my wife took a watch to a repairer in Japan. She said it was a “Seiko” and he disagreed and went into a long explanation of why it wasn’t as she just replied with lots of Japanese female “Isn’t that fascinating” replies. As we walked out I said – “why didn’t you just tell him you worked for "Seiko” to which I was told that it would be extremely rude to prove him wrong – even though he obviously was.

In the same way I was reminded that it is wrong to argue on the internet to try to prove who is right and who is wrong. It is the responsibility of the people posting to ensure the information they are writing is correct. A bit culturally frustrating from my point of view but – oh well.

I hope it is a good point of order for everyone.

I am more convinced of my previous opinion than I was before. I could be wrong (but I don’t think I am). I’ll be more careful in future to write in an inoffensive style.

Posted on: 2007/4/19 17:01
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6)

[Advanced Search]

Today's Sponsor