Dpinga

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: a quick question on wood type
Active Kutakian
From Boise, ID
Group:
村民 :: Villager
It's true that it has a toxin. You may not have to worry about it in such small amounts in one or two training weapons. I install and sand hardwood floors and I have to be aware of what woods are toxic. Brazilian Cherry and Brazzilian Walnut are toxic too.

Posted on: 2010/10/25 13:03
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: a quick question on wood type
Villager
From Lehighton PA
Group:
I an be honest in the fact that I've bought just about every training weapon that Papa-san sells and I would be happy to stand behind each one of them. I've put my bokken up against some heavy 8' hickory Yari at a seminar and I didn't even get a splinter out of it.

Not to mention, the price was great.

Posted on: 2010/10/26 7:55

Re: Hehehe...
Villager
Group:
I've used and broken most woods out there in training. Purple heart must be tough to really get right, because I've broken more than one training weapon made from it. Boh, hanbo, and bokken.

Vera Ironwood is one damn impressive wood that I've yet to see fail in training. I've only worked with a couple samples, though.

White oak is also quite reliable. I've seen a couple tools break that were white oak but this was from a large sample set. As a percentage I'd say it holds up very well.

Hickory I will (and have on more than one occasion) destroy very quickly.

I beat the crap out of my training weapons and so far in almost 20 years of doing this only my white oak bo (two of them) and bokken (two of them) have survived the duration, over 12 years of serious abuse at home and abroad.

Aric

Posted on: 2010/10/26 12:31

Cant Stay Offline
From Pennsylvania, USA
Group:
議長 :: Mod
師導士会 :: Shidoshikai
I'm curious Aric, where did you get your "hickory"? My experience is vastly different as I don't know anyone who has broken one of my hickory bokkens as yet and some have used them for 10 years. It is true that any wood can and will eventually break but I have found hickory to be the best, at least the shell-bark hickory we have here in Pennsylvania. The white oak is also very good but everyone should know that "Japanese" white oak comes from their wood lot here in Pennsylvania.

Posted on: 2010/10/26 20:22

Villager
Group:
Hi Ed,

The hickory bokken I shattered was from Bugei trading company. This was many years ago. They also used to make a resin impregnated bokken that was dang near invincible, but I think they had consistency problems with the process.

I have used a few of your tools over the years. I can't recall one breaking, although I find the bokken to be awkwardly designed. It's a preference thing, but the 'curve' is very unwieldly.

The thing with white oak is that you have to hand select your tool. I've found some that were very light, and others that were much more dense. The ones I have are dense and have taken abuse flawlessly for over a decade. And I hit REALLY hard with my sticks.

Take care,
Aric

Posted on: 2010/10/27 4:43

« 1 (2)

[Advanced Search]

Today's Sponsor